Parramatta river cycle way

thomashouseman

Re: Parramatta river cycle way

Postby thomashouseman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:55 am

I rode it Friday from Rydalmere ferry and it fizzled out at the Gasworks bridge nearing Parramatta. Is there a new section opened on the weekend that goes under/around that?

T.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:04 pm

Thats it. After gasworks, its to either go up to Macarthur, or the cyclepath way is across the bridge to the Albion and then back to the water and along that to the ferry wharf where you can cross to the other side etc.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:10 pm

Ahh right. Yeah, that new boardwalk section was pretty nice, although I wouldn't want to be taking my kids across the Gasworks Bridge.... how unsafe is that?! I hope they'll be building a path under/around that bridge.... going across it or via Macarthur Girls is not very nice for young'uns!

tez001

Postby tez001 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:32 pm

No plans that I have heard of. They are building something under the Church St bridge so on the northern path it will go along the river straight into Parramatta park.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:32 pm

Gasworks Bridge is pretty nasty. I find the best way is to get on the road and go hell for leather as it's a bit of a downhill so nobody tries to overtake. Hopeless for family outings though and relaxed riding.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

trevg

Postby trevg » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:22 pm

tez001 wrote:Thats it. After gasworks, its to either go up to Macarthur, or the cyclepath way is across the bridge to the Albion and then back to the water and along that to the ferry wharf where you can cross to the other side etc.
The sign posted on the previous page seems to show a continuous path on the north side of the river, looks like the missing part is the "Escarpment Boardwalk project".

Seems it is still under assessment:

http://eplanning.parracity.nsw.gov.au/P ... ?id=356125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

trevg

Postby trevg » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:14 am

And a picture:

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:51 am

Yeah I believe they will be building further board walks to the parramatta foreshore which will itself link up to parramatta park with the tunnel that is being constructed through Lennox bridge. Should be pretty awesome once completed.

Great picture. Looks they will be trying to throw the cyclists on the south side. Hope the curves aren't too sharp as those board walk corners get quite slippery. Seen one guy stack and nearly have myself.

ab012

Postby ab012 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:25 pm

Just a note that the tunnel (north side) is now open. Nice little bypass.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:00 pm

That was quick! Will have to try it out. Anyone know when the final connection from MacArthur street to the other side of the ferry wier opens?

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:22 pm

Bluejay87 wrote:That was quick! Will have to try it out. Anyone know when the final connection from MacArthur street to the other side of the ferry wier opens?
Final connection? There's heaps to do yet, Gasworks bridge, South St Rydalmere, and all the bits in Parra CBD.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:50 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
Bluejay87 wrote:That was quick! Will have to try it out. Anyone know when the final connection from MacArthur street to the other side of the ferry wier opens?
Final connection? There's heaps to do yet, Gasworks bridge, South St Rydalmere, and all the bits in Parra CBD.
Didn't realize there was plans to do anything in cbd or south st.

tez001

Parramatta river cycle way

Postby tez001 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:52 am

Here are a few photos from this morning of the new tunnel. Makes getting into Parramatta park a lot easier

ImageImageImage

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:40 am

They will need to do a fair bit with it to make it more convenient than Victoria Road and Thomas St... I found way too many walkers made the south side unusable.

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:06 pm

Just want to call out that the elevated walkway/cycleway at Ermington especially after a night of dew falling on the coarse metal grates that it's very slippery especially around the fast right hander coming down (west bound) to and including the tight S turns before you get to the concreted section on the eastern side of George Kendall Riverside Park. This morning there was a rider down taken away (looked like he got low sided) in an Ambo and I hope he wasn't too badly injured.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:47 pm

Slippery when wet - esp the bolts & washers holding it in place
Anything you can do, I can do slower

ab012

Postby ab012 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:20 am

find_bruce wrote:Slippery when wet - esp the bolts & washers holding it in place
yeah nowadays I generally take the road instead of going down there. Too risky for exactly this reason.

Homo Suburbiensis

Postby Homo Suburbiensis » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:49 am

Someone posted this video on the Sydney Cyclist forum. It shows the new Lennox Bridge portal.

I have ridden through there once recently and it is quite nice.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:30 am

SmellyTofu wrote:Just want to call out that the elevated walkway/cycleway at Ermington especially after a night of dew falling on the coarse metal grates that it's very slippery especially around the fast right hander coming down (west bound) to and including the tight S turns before you get to the concreted section on the eastern side of George Kendall Riverside Park. This morning there was a rider down taken away (looked like he got low sided) in an Ambo and I hope he wasn't too badly injured.
thanks for the heads-up.
when i cycled there some months back, i did wonder how slippery it would get when wet. :?:

i guess the engineer who designed this is not a cyclist? :cry:

tez001

Postby tez001 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:36 am

I always take it slow through there, even in the dry. I'd rather fall on the concrete path than those walkways.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:23 pm

Yes the metal gets extremely slippery with even a little bit of dew. I've come very close to crashing and have seen one other do so. There is more of them on the connection from the Uni to MacArthur street too and I think they will be using more on the next connection to the weir. Wish they would use something grippier or at least make those corners more manageable.

What time was the ambo there?
I went past there this morning.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:00 am

Not sure how people are losing it near the mangroves unless they are really unfamiliar and going too fast. I lost traction on the Gatorskins' maiden run in the wet, never trusted the bridge again.

Video looks good. Really have to get the path sorted between the two ferry wharves though if they expect some surge in cycling in the area, or a reduction in road use.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:08 pm

It's really just that one very sharp bend when riders go too quick on a damp morning. The rest of those boardwalks are fine, in fact that material they are made out of has a lot of grip, it's the metal brackets that fix it down that are the problem, then again, too high a speed on that corner is always going to get you into trouble.

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:10 pm

It was last Sunday just around 8am or so.

I think part of the problem is those plates they put between each of the panels I guess to prevent them from shifting is what is upseting the balance of the bike mid corner. It's not too bad on anything with 28mm+ tyres but roadies especially need to take it easy and stay as upright as possible to keep the shiny side up.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

I went through the new tunnel today. It was great as due to the rain there wasn't a single person out so there was no hold up going towards the tunnel from the east and then through to Parramatta Park. I reckon even on a sunny day with lots of people milling around i will use that to get to the park as i hate that Victoria Road dash at any other time than a quiet morning.

The metal grate as you enter the tunnel needs to be taken with care though in the wet as it is very slippery.