Parramatta river cycle way

jdh500

Re: Parramatta river cycle way

Postby jdh500 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:19 pm

Great when it's done, my family can then ride more safely by avoiding south street.

JDH

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:26 pm

When the creek is crossed how we will we get up to the Bill Brewer bridge? Through the Rheem estate?
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:20 pm

Hergest wrote:When the creek is crossed how we will we get up to the Bill Brewer bridge? Through the Rheem estate?
As I understand the current proposal is just to connect to the path that comes off the roundabout on South St & continue over the BIll Brewer bridge.

I seem to recall some mention of crossing subiacco creek & have a path through the mangroves between parra river & rheem but my google fu is not presently up to the task of finding it
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:23 pm

Hergest wrote:When the creek is crossed how we will we get up to the Bill Brewer bridge? Through the Rheem estate?
Yes. (edit)Oops, no.

This is the 1st stage and then it will do the 2nd stage in the future over the creek to Uni, so one day we won't have to go via Bill Brewer bridge.

Don't know of the date, maybe within 2yrs depending of funds. :?:

1st stage might be finished at the end of July'17 or a bit later depending on weather disrupting the works.

edit, I think that I made a mistake.
Find Bruce is corrected. It's up to the roundabout.

Sorry, my mistake. :oops:
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:33 pm

Thanks gents. Anything that cuts out Pike Street suits me. I don't mind South Street too much as there's a shoulder but Pike can be really hectic with the trucks and people looking to park sometimes, not to mention that horrible entry to the path where the plank was put for a week.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:19 am

Hergest wrote:Thanks gents. Anything that cuts out Pike Street suits me. I don't mind South Street too much as there's a shoulder but Pike can be really hectic with the trucks and people looking to park sometimes, not to mention that horrible entry to the path where the plank was put for a week.
Ha! It gets busy? There you go, you learn something new every day. I only ride it at 5:30am-ish and it's always deserted. I scare the bunnies and brush the cobwebs off the path for you all.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:33 am

thomashouseman wrote: Ha! It gets busy? There you go, you learn something new every day. I only ride it at 5:30am-ish and it's always deserted. I scare the bunnies and brush the cobwebs off the path for you all.
Lucky you. Thanks for getting rid of the cobwebs. :D Yep, Pike Street at certain times can be a real pain with the truck movements especially on that corner where you have right of way but trucks can come out of or into the factory as if you don't.

phil_

Postby phil_ » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:47 am

Here's an opportunity to voice and, hopefully, improve the cycling experience of Parramatta.

http://parramattabikeplan.crowdspot.com.au/page/welcome

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:19 pm

Here`s the obscured pic from the bridge near Clyde/South St roundabout.

It got dirt track up to dead end from the locked gate next to ped /bike bridge entry/exit.(not the Bill Brewer bridge)

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:54 pm

Hergest wrote: Gasworks bridge on the other hand is an absolute shocker and makes your fillings fall out.
Rode up there to Parra today and found out that it had replaced the bumpy timbers. But it had laid the new smooth timber deck half way from Girls High school. Maybe it might put the other half to complete it one day.

It rides better than the bone shaker at near school.

From Girls High School.

Half way at bridge.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:33 pm

Yeah, I went over that today, the new section is lovely and the bit remaining isn't too bad so it's no longer the killer it was.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:19 pm

Gasworks bridge got the last new timber laid down today and it`s the full length of smooth ride.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:01 pm

Noticed that about 1/3rd of the Bill Brewer Bridge has had some new plank put on / replaced - appears to be plastic.

I rode over the Gasworks bridge today, and is it just me, or has the weather affected the boards and not all that smooth anymore?

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:57 pm

^^ Timber is not good when wet and it will dry up over time and then repeats goes on. Then one day it will make it bumpy rides.
It is useless and WOFTAM.

It would be better to replace it with metal/alloy boardwalk grids. Just like the Baludarri boardwalk.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:05 pm

We rode over the Gasworks Bridge this morning, it felt pretty smooth to me. Perhaps the intense heat of the last few days warped a few boards and yesterday's cool change and rain has smoothed them out again.

The Bill Brewer Bridge looks like it's going the way of the ratty old wooden bridge in Guildford with the new plastic boards. The finished Guildford bridge is really good so I have high hopes for Bill Brewer. Same council too and the guys doing the Guildford one did an excellent job and were really helpful if you turned up when they were laying the boards so the bridge was never closed. If it's the same team then that's good.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:44 pm

Agree with tez001 of 3 posts above.

I rode over the Gasworks bridge and it was a bit small bumpy ride all the way, might be due to hot weather that caused it to warped it.

And of the Bill Brewer bridge, full plastic planks covered it all the way and it looked better. But hope someone don`t use the front brake when wet.

Pic of Bill Brewer bridge.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:48 am

Bunged Knee wrote:
And of the Bill Brewer bridge, full plastic planks covered it all the way and it looked better. But hope someone don`t use the front brake when wet.

I thought that when they replaced the wooden bridge at Guildford with the same material but it has been fine and no problems when wet especially as when you enter the bridge from the Eastern side after coming up the hill you are at an angle. No slippage. If anything, the very worst stuff to ride in the wet on is old wooden planks. I remember Claire coming down hard one day on Bill Brewer and I've come down 2 or 3 times on the shite bridge over Cooks.

thomas1987

Postby thomas1987 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:57 pm

thomas1987 wrote:Considering so many cyclists ride through this section,

https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-33.817 ... 312!8i6656,

I am surprised no one has complained and/or council hasn't done anything about the nasty bump at the end of the Pike St cul-de-sac. A kerb ramp seriously needs to be installed there. DIY asphalt late at night, anyone?

EDIT: Decided to do something about and lodge a request to council to fix it.
If you guys can do the same that would be great. Only takes less than 5 minutes.
https://onlineservices.parracity.nsw.go ... eType.aspx
So finally got a response from Parramatta about this issue. Only took them 4 months to reply :roll:
Thanks for getting in touch.

As soon as I saw your email I knew the location you were talking about!

At the moment, Council is focussing resources on the connection just to the west (Subiaco Creek boardwalk) that will allow cyclists to avoid Pike St and South St completely.

This should remove the need for almost all cyclists to use this ramp.

Apologies that for the moment I do not have the resources to fix this, but I hope the high quality of what is being constructed will make up for that.

Feel free to call me to discuss should you wish.

Mark
Mark Crispin | City Strategy | Transport Planner

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:03 pm

Well done. I agree with him and am disappointed at the same time :P

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:06 pm

Info from BNSW,

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:17 pm

So they are replacing those noisy sheets of whatever material it is on the bridge? It's pretty smooth to ride on but I well remember one day when my mind was drifting a bit and as I rode on to the bridge it frightened the bejesus out of me as I'd forgotten about the noise.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:17 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:Info from BNSW,

hmmmm, The bit about "narrow access"......How narrow?? :?

at least 1 meter I hope. :idea:

... for wheelchair access :?:

& Rotovelo's :mrgreen:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:38 pm

recumbenteer wrote: hmmmm, The bit about "narrow access"......How narrow?? :?

at least 1 meter I hope. :idea:

... for wheelchair access :?:

& Rotovelo's :mrgreen:
1.2m width.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:49 pm

Work update on Subiaco Creek boardwalk on both sides.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:40 pm

An email from Parra Council:
Hi There,

This is a one-off email as you had previously provided input whilst the Bike Plan was being developed.

All the comments and feedback have been reviewed and the draft Bike Plan has recently been put on exhibition and it will be open until the 8th of May for public comment.

Council would love to hear from you and whether it has responded to your needs.

I encourage you to raise issues that you see so it can be improved, but also write in support if you do like something (an example being physically separated cycleways on street in the CBD that will need strong support)

You can comment in a number of ways:

Online:
Head to our cycling home page to view the Bike Plan:
https://www.cityofparramatta.nsw.gov.au/cycling

The online mapping tool is back by popular demand.
http://parramattabikenetwork.crowdspot.com.au

In person
People can view a hard copy at any of our branch libraries.

Drop in sessions at Parramatta Town Hall, 21st (tomorrow), 22nd, 29th April 10am – 2pm.

By email
cycling@cityofparramatta.nsw.gov.au

Phone
02 9806 5632

Or you can send us a letter!
Mark Crispin
City of Parramatta Council
PO Box 32
Parramatta NSW 2150

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Crispin | City Strategy | Transport Planner