Parramatta river cycle way

Hergest

Re: Parramatta river cycle way

Postby Hergest » Sat May 28, 2016 4:12 pm

wombatK wrote:
Hergest wrote:If you flag the ride and enough people do the same then they can remove it or at least not allow the leaderboard on that segment

I can't see a "flag" action item on my strava ... so is that a premium feature ?

I don't think so but you have to have the segment open. Open up a ride that contains that segment, click on the segment in question and on the left hand side you have 'Overview' 'Analysis' and underneath a pencil sign for edit and a spanner sign for actions. Click the spanner and you get a drop down menu, one of the options is 'flag' and when you click on that you are taken to another page where you give the reason for the flag. You could just add something like 'heavy pedestrian use' in the box.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat May 28, 2016 6:33 pm

wombatK wrote:
SmellyTofu wrote:So riding on the road on the bridge is a no no?

The signage is difficult to find on approach to the bridge, as the relevant signs
are posted well up the bridge road way from Shoreline Drive.

The road is marked as a T-way, and rule 157-1 says
Rule 157-1 wrote:157-1 NSW rule: T-Way lanes

(1) A driver (except the driver of an authorised T-Way vehicle) must not drive in a T-Way lane.
Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.
(2) A driver (except the driver of an authorised T-Way vehicle) must not stop in a T-Way lane.
Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

As per rules 16 and 19, a bicycle rider is a driver. So it is illegal to cycle on a T-way lane.

If Strava had an ethics, it would remove the Bennelong Bridge segment so that it is not encouraging
law-breaking.
So its not marked as a bus lane?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sat May 28, 2016 6:42 pm

wombatK wrote:If Strava had an ethics, it would remove the Bennelong Bridge segment so that it is not encouraging
law-breaking.

Was that Bennelong Bridge Strava segment from riding on SUP or on road?

If they did it on SUP, then they are idiots. I think that it was on road.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Sun May 29, 2016 9:48 pm

wombatK wrote:FWIW, there is a strava segment Bennelong Blast with average speeds of over 40 kph ... clearly not achievable on the shared footpath unless you were a totally reckless idiot.

Unless it was ridden during the dead of midnight or way early morning. You can't say they are reckless when there's zero chance of pedestrians on the bridge. I sometimes "open up the tap" and hit mid to high 40's along the stretch of path along Homebush Bay Dr heading towards Rhodes. No recklessness there when there's zero chance of pedestrians.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun May 29, 2016 10:20 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:Was that Bennelong Bridge Strava segment from riding on SUP or on road?

If they did it on SUP, then they are idiots. I think that it was on road.

If you look at the particular segment that I linked above, it starts off apparently on the t-way,
then jumps abruptly mid-bridge to somewhere over the water north of the bridge.

While consumer GPS positional errors are mostly less than 5m, errors of 5 to 10 m are not uncommon.
So it's unlikely that the strava tracks can be used to prove whether or not a rider was on
the SUP or T-way.

For my ride last Wed, I had 3 GPS devices logging while I rode across the SUP, yet the majority of the
tracks appears to fall on the T-way (and some in the bay to the North of the Bridge too !).
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Warin

Postby Warin » Sun May 29, 2016 10:41 pm

wombatK wrote:If you look at the particular segment that I linked above, it starts off apparently on the t-way, then jumps abruptly mid-bridge to somewhere over the water north of the bridge.

I have a track where I walked into a building with a metal roof... my speed according to the track went up to 80 km/h !!! :twisted: walking...
If the GPS looses one or more satellites directly and get a reflected signal from elsewhere it can get very confused. Professional GPSes reject signals close to the horizon - where most of the reflected signals come from.
As the bridge is metal you can get a lot of reflected signals ...

Car after market speedos are available in the USA that operate off GPS signals ... not legal here fortunately. What happens when you go into a tunnel and the GPS looses signal? Not a good idea.

Bourney

Postby Bourney » Tue May 31, 2016 11:50 am

Silly question, but does it really matter?

So there's a segment that you don't quite like, why would you let that worry you?

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Tue May 31, 2016 12:03 pm

Bourney wrote:Silly question, but does it really matter?

So there's a segment that you don't quite like, why would you let that worry you?

Amen to that

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue May 31, 2016 10:22 pm

Same reason I worry about cyclists running red lights. Cowboy cyclists damage our brand,
and make it more difficult for the rest of us.

As an example, next thing you might hear is shock-jocks etc.,. winding up Gay on cyclist registration
so they can prosecute the cowboys (automatically, via the t-way camera in this case).

That's what could happen if we don't self-regulate and discourage cyclists who don't do the right thing.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:22 am

wombatK wrote:

Same reason I worry about cyclists running red lights. Cowboy cyclists damage our brand,

As an example, next thing you might hear is shock-jocks etc.,. winding up Gay on cyclist registration
so they can prosecute the cowboys (automatically, via the t-way camera in this case).

That's what could happen if we don't self-regulate and discourage cyclists who don't do the right thing.

+1 Well said.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:35 pm

wombatK wrote:

While agreeing that cowboy cyclists damage our brand, the same does not happen about cowboy motorists and that's because cyclists are out grouped where motorists are not out grouped
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:01 pm

You are not Gucci. Or Nike. Or Coke. You have no brand as a cyclist. Life is not marketing.

Young bloke does something stupid. 'Boys will be boys'. End of story. Cyclist does something stupid. Same answer, same result. These people you worry about are mentally ill. Serious. You can't change their behaviour so stop trying.

Bourney

Postby Bourney » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:16 pm

That is very noble of you WombatK. In that case, if you could get all the flat bar, high vis vest wearing commuters to not be kamikaze's as well, then you'd be going a long way to improving cyclist / driver / pedestrian relations! :D

Also, to be honest I would think that segments that run along Old Windsor Road would be more of an issue, if someone decides to jump on the T way as there is really no room for them at all, versus the really short T-way stretch we're talking about.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:28 pm

Bourney wrote:That is very noble of you WombatK. In that case, if you could get all the flat bar, high vis vest wearing commuters to not be kamikaze's as well, then you'd be going a long way to improving cyclist / driver / pedestrian relations! :D

Nobody has ever called me that before Bourney, so I had to look it up in the dictionary. I couldn't find anything about having a flat bar or high vis vest and/or apprehending kamikaze cyclists.

Sorry, but just as one swallow doesn't make a summer, suggesting t-way cyclists should be reigned in doesn't make me a crusader sworn to right every miscreant cyclist.
WombatK

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:37 am

Rode on PVC to check the state of it this morning on video to be copied on DVD to have CAMWEST BUG President to give it to Parra council to see water over path from Silverwater bridge to Ermo Bay boardwalk end at Mary st for review.

There`s over 400m of water of over 2 cm on path in one section next to units and playground. I had a check of drain that overflowed under Silverwater bridge last Friday night and it did bring debris to path that I`ve cleaned up last time. There`s something inside the drain that I won`t try to get it out due to unknown sharp objects that will injures me.

Water over path next to units.
Silverwater bridge drain overflow.

*edit* repost pics due to old 3rd party host shut down.
Last edited by Bunged Knee on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:22 pm

Do you think the real estate salesmen are going to show that to prospective unit buyers :shock: ? Gives a whole new meaning to waterfront property.
WombatK

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:32 pm

I rode through that section this morning with the water across the path nearly the whole way along in front of the units. I'm wondering if as the completion of the landscaping on the unit side will involve drainage changes as a lot of that water is flowing from the building site side.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:05 pm

^^ Landscaping won`t improve it even after it will be completed.
Completed landscaping near bridge still get water on path.
Last edited by Bunged Knee on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:11 pm

wombatK wrote:Do you think the real estate salesmen are going to show that to prospective unit buyers :shock: ? Gives a whole new meaning to waterfront property.

Free flimsy kayaks with holes for prospective unit buyers. :?

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:11 am

how's the cyclepath 3 days later?
i might commute home this evening via PVC.

is there any localised flooding/standing water?

lkj

Postby lkj » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:51 am

caneye wrote:how's the cyclepath 3 days later?
i might commute home this evening via PVC.

is there any localised flooding/standing water?

No standing water, however, path underneath O'Connell St in Parramatta is blocked (plenty of tracks in the mud though). Blocked again at Church St probably up to Wilde Ave or further. Sorrell St entrance is blocked as well. Council was there cleaning this morning, so hopefully will be open tonight.

It's clear from James Ruse Drive up to Silverwater Road.

lkj

Postby lkj » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:24 pm

lkj wrote:path underneath O'Connell St in Parramatta is blocked

This is still blocked.

The path between church and Elizabeth is open again and clean. Score one for the council.

Bourney

Postby Bourney » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:49 am

I was amazed that the path near Silverwater bridge was dry straight away. Normally it stays wet for days after even the smallest of rains!

As said above, some of the under passes in Parra are still a bit how's it going, so I've just been using Grose St to get around that.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:08 pm

The dirt built up after rain under Silverwater Rd bridge had been cleaned up by me with scraper and folding spade last Tuesday night and it gets better.

Damn lazy of Parra council in not to clean up along my clean up areas. And I had swept the debris away on PVC between Silverwater Rd bridge and Pike St for under 2 hrs tonight from 8.30pm with micro bulldozer aka dustpan and broom. No riders went by but only hubby and wife dog walkers with well-behaved doberman went by.

Before pic of next to water pipe.

After clean up pic.
Last edited by Bunged Knee on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:23 pm

Well done, you deserve a medal, or maybe the price of a carton from Parramatta council or whatever council it's now called with the amalgamation.

Return to “New South Wales”