Parramatta river cycle way

CommuRider

Re: Parramatta river cycle way

Postby CommuRider » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:56 pm

You mean a walkway right across the bay? :shock:

I'd worry about the wind factor, the tidal factor and the height of the walkway above the water. The Brissie floods and their floating cement walkway just comes to mind. BUT, if longevity is not a factor and they want to do it (who is in charge SOPA?), why not. Saves me cycling around the whole bay and the mangroves if I just want to go to Rhodes.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:55 pm

Sydguy wrote:The Olympic Park is fantastic, and today I heard that they are in the early planning stages of putting a walkway from Homebush Bay to Rhodes, with the intention of providing access to Rhodes train station. This sounds a bit of a long shot, but the lady at work is holding off selling an apartment until the SOP revamp is complete.
It'll never happen.
Too toxic, too tidal, too mangrovey.... too a lot of things! :P

The part we did on the Sydney spring cycle is as much as they'll ever do and it's already done.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:09 pm

I had a look the other day and it is a long way across, they could have a floating style one but that would cut access to that lovely swamp! It is probably just talk to try and get more people into the park and make it a commercial success. I can't see the attraction of Homebuh Bay - too far from trains and buses, your at the mercy of the jetcats.

The idea is kind of cool... but like anything in NSW it takes sooo long to get projects off the ground. Anyway I will tr to find out more and see if there is actually any plans at this stage!

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:43 am

This sign made me sad:

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:58 am

Oh and here's a reply from the RTA Customer Service Directorate as I mentioned to them the bikepath lighting issue:
(it confirms Commurider's post earlier saying it's all Parracity council owned) - now I just wish Parracity would get around to fixing them! I reported it them over a month ago.
Ref: GE11/1372

Dear Thomas

Thank you for your email enquiry to the Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA) about lights not working on the cycleway between Alan Street and South Street, Rydalmere

Parramatta City Council is responsible for the cycleway in question. This matter should be forwarded to the council for its consideration.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, you may wish to contact the council on telephone (02) 9806 5050. Alternatively, the council’s email address is council@parracity.nsw.gov.au.

Thank you again for bringing this matter to the RTA’s attention.

Kind regards

Jagtar Rakkar
Correspondence Team
Customer Service Directorate
Roads and Traffic Authority

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:44 am

Sydguy wrote:The Olympic Park is fantastic, and today I heard that they are in the early planning stages of putting a walkway from Homebush Bay to Rhodes, with the intention of providing access to Rhodes train station. This sounds a bit of a long shot, but the lady at work is holding off selling an apartment until the SOP revamp is complete.
I've heard this too. In addition to this I've seen the development plan for the area that includes the bridge which will run from Bayswater Drive to Rhodes (near the shopping centre). It is part of a development that will run all the way down to the ferry terminal at the end of Hill Rd. I think it is intended to be for cars as well as peds. It'll be awesome if they do as it will an excellent addition to my training rides!

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:14 am

goneriding wrote:
I've heard this too. In addition to this I've seen the development plan for the area that includes the bridge which will run from Bayswater Drive to Rhodes (near the shopping centre). It is part of a development that will run all the way down to the ferry terminal at the end of Hill Rd. I think it is intended to be for cars as well as peds. It'll be awesome if they do as it will an excellent addition to my training rides!
http://wentworthpointcommunity.org/Deve ... ridge.html
and
http://homebushbaybridge.com.au/

Community/developer funded - like I said, it'll never happen!

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks for the links. I like the "idea" too but how feasible is this going to be? If it's developer funded, does that mean they will get 20 extra levels for their apartment blocks casting shadows over the bay? I am still thinking structural integrity issues though at least their proposed bridge has pylons.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:11 pm

thomashouseman wrote:This sign made me sad:
Yes, I cycled to the end of it and the dead end overlooks the abyss of the creek. I dunno how they'll build across it - will they build a wooden bridge across the creek?

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:41 pm

goneriding wrote:n addition to this I've seen the development plan for the area that includes the bridge which will run from Bayswater Drive to Rhodes (near the shopping centre). It is part of a development that will run all the way down to the ferry terminal at the end of Hill Rd. I think it is intended to be for cars as well as peds.
Can't think of anything less awesome than creating a rat-run for motor traffic to bypass Homebush Bay Drive with its almost perpetual traffic jams. That'll turn Hill Rd into a four lane traffic nightmare in most peak hours, and whenever there is an event in the SOP area.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Ideally you want no car access. Already too much traffic on the Rhodes side, everyone looking for street parking where there is a multi level car park in the shopping centre.
If they get around to putting the bridge in they should separate the bikes from the foot traffic, make life easier for both parties.

The companies/strata plans based in SOP should get onto this. It can only make life easier for anyone who wants to access the park. Increase apartment values and open up a direct link to more of the train network.

sankari

Postby sankari » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:45 am

I haven't seen this talked about yet, so I wanted to bump this thread. It looks like Berejiklian and co have committed to finishing the cycleway (see page 21 of this pdf). Thomas St and South St will finally be bypassed, with boardwalk built through the foreshore parks. This means an unbroken path will stretch from Parramatta all the way past Meadowbank, well except a short section on Lancaster avenue. The press release said work will start early 2014, so expect activity soon (hopefully).

This makes me wonder though, how feasible is it to extend the current end of the path at Meadowbank, through Gladesville, and all the way to Gladesville Bridge. I don't know the area too well, but looks like it's possible to link a series of foreshore parks and very quiet residential streets, avoiding busier roads like Morrison. Then western Sydney would finally have a cycleway all the way into the CBD via Drummoyne and Anzac Bridge, which will be great for casual commuters. The difficulties of trudging through the inner west on the south side of the river will become a forgotten memory.

sankari

Postby sankari » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:48 am

Also, the bridge from Rhodes across the bay has been funded by developers. Shared path and bus lane only, with no access for cars.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:59 pm

sankari wrote:I haven't seen this talked about yet, so I wanted to bump this thread. It looks like Berejiklian and co have committed to finishing the cycleway
The master plan is little more than hot air:
We are working in partnership with
Parramatta City Council and the Federal
Government to complete the remaining
Parramatta River foreshore public access
missing links as part of a larger urban
renewal project for the valley.
You can say you're working on something forever and a day, and even better, work in partnership with someone you can
use as a scapegoat for delays or any other procrastination.

If the government were committed, there would be a dollar budget for the projects, and a time frame for completion of the work.
A harder marker would say the government is not committed until contracts for the works are signed.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:12 pm

sankari wrote:I haven't seen this talked about yet, so I wanted to bump this thread. It looks like Berejiklian and co have committed to finishing the cycleway (see page 21 of this pdf). Thomas St and South St will finally be bypassed, with boardwalk built through the foreshore parks. This means an unbroken path will stretch from Parramatta all the way past Meadowbank, well except a short section on Lancaster avenue. The press release said work will start early 2014, so expect activity soon (hopefully).

This makes me wonder though, how feasible is it to extend the current end of the path at Meadowbank, through Gladesville, and all the way to Gladesville Bridge. I don't know the area too well, but looks like it's possible to link a series of foreshore parks and very quiet residential streets, avoiding busier roads like Morrison. Then western Sydney would finally have a cycleway all the way into the CBD via Drummoyne and Anzac Bridge, which will be great for casual commuters. The difficulties of trudging through the inner west on the south side of the river will become a forgotten memory.
Sounds like a LNP state election promise...

I wouldn't expect this to happen - though it would be superb.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:29 pm

Looks like they will look at linking it up after UWS into Parramatta. The dead end at Rydalmere appears to be "medium term"

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:46 am

Words like major, priority and committed have a very different meaning to the bureaucrats of the Department of Transport & whichever politician is "in charge" atm.

If you want to depress yourself have a look at page 15 of the "2010 NSW BikePlan" Page 20 of the 2014 version is differently drafted, but if you look at the substance, not much has changed.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

sankari

Postby sankari » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:30 pm

I'm not quite as pessimistic. This plan doesn't seem to be election motivated, but seems to come from a shift in responsibilities for cycleways from the Roads Ministry to the Public Transport Ministry. Though if someone has more insider knowledge of the government's machinations, feel free to correct me. The Parramatta River cycleway and a new bridge across the Nepean seem to be the first two projects identified by the Ministry.

Judging from press conferences before the election, I was quite skeptical about Berejiklian's competence. But since then, her ministry has quietly delivered on many aspects of public transport that Labor had failed abysmally on. We shall see in good time this government's dedication to cycling infrastructure.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:48 am

sankari wrote:Also, the bridge from Rhodes across the bay has been funded by developers. Shared path and bus lane only, with no access for cars.
this is tied to getting permission for apartment towers up to 27 stories on the wentworth point side. The number of new residents planned for that side is huge. The bridge will not allow cars (but will allow buses) but really won't cater for the number of people there. There's also plans to put in about 6000 people between SOP and the motorway which will also feed through to M4 or HBD.
Thee is a plan to turn the headland into a nice park area which would make it a pleasant riverside ride all the way from Parramatta to Rhodes, with plenty of facilities.

sankari

Postby sankari » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:21 pm

I decided to use this cycleway today, and to my shock, it appears construction may have started.

At the park between the end of Morton St and the river, fencing has been erected. There is excavation work, which looks suspiciously like the rudiments of a cycleway. Looking for confirmation, I found this announcement on the council website. It claims a contract has been awarded and work started a whole month ago, though I suspect from the little work so far, it was a bit more recent.

sankari

Postby sankari » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:59 pm

find_bruce wrote: Words like major, priority and committed have a very different meaning to the bureaucrats of the Department of Transport & whichever politician is "in charge" atm.

If you want to depress yourself have a look at page 15 of the "2010 NSW BikePlan" Page 20 of the 2014 version is differently drafted, but if you look at the substance, not much has changed.
Out of curiosity, I dug up some more maps associated with the 2010 BikePlan. I understand the pessimism, since governments regularly over-promise and under-deliver, especially certain governments that shall go unnamed. But it's hard to say that there's been no progress.

From this map, here are some major improvements that I can see: M4 from Olympic Park to Cumberland Hwy, Georges River next to Henry Lawson Dr, Elizabeth Dr from Bonnyrigg to Liverpool. Some minor improvements: small pieces of the Parramatta River cycleway, Toongabbie creek branching from Old Windsor Rd, Prospect Hwy missing link over M4, Prospect creek to Fairfield.

Overall, not so depressing. Still, I believe a path into the CBD is a priority, such as the Gladesville route I mentioned earlier. I think this will unlock the full potential of all the investment in western Sydney cycleways so far. For this, I'm not holding my breath waiting for governments to realize.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:59 pm

From the CAMWEST mailing list:

Many of you may have ridden the Parramatta Valley Cycleway recently & noticed and enjoyed the new section near Rydalmere Wharf which passes under the water pipeline. Council have installed a counter on the path & the average figures for cycles passing through that section have consistently been averaging 10,000 (yes TEN THOUSAND) cyclists per month. Now who thinks we aren't using our infrastructure. There is a steady mix of commuters & possible recreational figures & the counts indicate a relatively even amount of traffic in each direction. A very interesting count was the Australia Day Holiday (27/1/14) when 697 cyclist activated the counter. That is the equivalent of over 9 full bus loads of people, a very impressive result. In the meantime, work has commenced on the Portals through the Lennox Bridge & construction of the path from James Ruse Drive through the Balludari Wetlands to join the path leading on to McArthur St near the Gasworks Bridge. These works should be completed before the end of the year.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:32 pm

Awesome

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:37 pm

I rode through there on sunday which i think was the first time for me on the new path by the wharf. I remember in the past having to wheel my bike over the bridge that carries the pipeline and you descended into hell the other side with the industry around Rosehill. It used to be a hideous ride.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

sankari

Postby sankari » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:31 am

Shocking news!

Construction has started on a tunnel through the Church St bridge over the river. Otherwise known as Lennox Bridge, this is one of the oldest bridges in Australia. The tunnel was approved a few years back, but I'm surprised that council has actually decided on boring right through a heritage bridge as a means of building the cycleway. I guess this shows how serious Parramatta City council is when it comes to cycle infrastructure.

Hopefully the walls of the tunnel don't become adorned with 'street art'.