SOP Safety Alert Thread

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby tubby74 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:48 am

bike lane is closed on part of benelong parkway today. They're working on some trees beside the road, so the pathway is diverted to the bike lane and bike lane closed. Not a long length and it's a section you'd be traveling along quite fast but worth being aware of
tubby74
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:02 pm

by BNA » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:18 pm

BNA
 

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby tez001 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:18 pm

Part of the Armoury path between the restaurant and ferry wharf will be closed wile asbestos removal works are being carried out.

http://www.sopa.nsw.gov.au/for_business ... ton_armory
tez001
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:05 pm

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby SheikYerbouti » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:47 pm

tez001 wrote:Part of the Armoury path between the restaurant and ferry wharf will be closed wile asbestos removal works are being carried out.

http://www.sopa.nsw.gov.au/for_business ... ton_armory


Thanks for that info, that's the route I take a couple of times a week. The document mentions a detour - anyone know where that'll be and if it'll be ride-able?
SheikYerbouti
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:47 am

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:06 am

More details with a map:
Sydney Olympic Park Authority will temporarily close part of the River Walk to allow for essential maintenance works from Monday 31 March – Friday 4 April and again on Monday 7 April – Thursday 10 April.

During these closures a detour will be in place, particularly to allow cyclists to continue their bike rides and pedestrians their walk or run.


http://www.sopa.nsw.gov.au/__data/asset ... Detour.pdf
thomashouseman
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:07 am
Location: Toongabbie NSW

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby SheikYerbouti » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:17 pm

Easter Show road closures have started: http://www.sopa.nsw.gov.au/for_business ... d_closures
SheikYerbouti
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:47 am

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby wombatK » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:13 pm

The pathway along the western side of Blaxland Road has been complete - although signs etc.,. not yet painted to indicate if its a shared path (expect it will be).

If so, it provides a safer way for road-shy riders to connect between SOP and the Meadowbank side of Parramatta River. Will be even better for the kiddies etc.,. when the traffic lights get completed at Blaxland Rd/Leeds Rd intersection.
Image
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5202
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby Hergest » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:46 pm

It's also worth mentioning that there's a new footbridge just down by the boat ramp that allows you to walk up to the bike path across the railway bridge by wheeling your bike as there's a indentation in the middle of the steps.
2013 Lynskey R230. 2001 Lemond Buenos Aires.
Hergest
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: Guildford West, NSW

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby thomashouseman » Fri May 16, 2014 12:12 pm

Any cyclists witness this yesterday? If so the police would like your statement:

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/lates ... w9MQ%3D%3D

T.
thomashouseman
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:07 am
Location: Toongabbie NSW

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby SmellyTofu » Sun May 25, 2014 8:49 am

Hergest wrote:It's also worth mentioning that there's a new footbridge just down by the boat ramp that allows you to walk up to the bike path across the railway bridge by wheeling your bike as there's a indentation in the middle of the steps.


This set of stairs is pretty much useless for those with kids (or panniers) in the back seat/rack as the steepness of the stairs and those wheel tracks makes it next to impossible to slowly walk down the bike safely. Ideally it should have been a series of S bends so that the gradient wouldn't be as steep for the uninitiated.

I did try use the new cyclepath on Blaxland Rd however, at the non existent traffic light, it is very very unsafe to cross the road down to the boat ramp. It was certainly something my wife had troubles with and we ended up going under the railway bridge to then continue down the road a bit to then U turn so we could rejoin the cyclepath.

Incidentally on the way back, it was very difficult to get onto this new path on Blaxland Rd to get back onto the entrance to the bridge to go back north, so I had to ride on the road and being very very slow noting when to pop in and out of parked cars, I still had to deal with this a stupid car in a blue Nissan Dualis come very close to me whilst carrying my son when the driver had all the room in the world to create a buffer.

If I didn't need to deal with a nephew who couldn't ride much further than our destination at SOP, I would have chosen to go over the Silverwater Bridge instead.
User avatar
SmellyTofu
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby Hergest » Sun May 25, 2014 11:58 am

They were working on the new lights last week so fingers crossed they will be activated this coming week. I certainly hope so as they will make a world of difference at that horrible junction.
2013 Lynskey R230. 2001 Lemond Buenos Aires.
Hergest
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: Guildford West, NSW

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby SheikYerbouti » Sun May 25, 2014 1:09 pm

Is that at Blaxland & Leeds? I hate that spot, you think it's clear and head across the road and someone screams around the corner under the railway bridge and it's not pleasant. Haven't ridden there for 2 weeks, will try the SOP/Silverwater Br/Rhodes circuit on Tues early before work.
SheikYerbouti
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:47 am

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby wombatK » Wed May 28, 2014 10:33 pm

Lots of progress on lights today. Road markings, including turning lane, loop detectors installed, warning lights installed in Walker St. Local cafe owner says theres been one to two stacks every month, mainly cars turning under bridge from walker st too fast. Lights should fix it.

Sent from my Galacy Tab with Crpaatalk
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5202
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby SmellyTofu » Fri May 30, 2014 7:51 am

wombatK wrote:Lots of progress on lights today. Road markings, including turning lane, loop detectors installed, warning lights installed in Walker St. Local cafe owner says theres been one to two stacks every month, mainly cars turning under bridge from walker st too fast. Lights should fix it.

Sent from my Galacy Tab with Crpaatalk


So will rumble strips which should be applied in both directions on the western side of Walker St all the way to under the bridge.
User avatar
SmellyTofu
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby Hergest » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:19 pm

Not a safety issue but if you ride the external loop of Olympic Park makes sure you do it anti clockwise. The lights at the corner of Sarah Durack Ave and Edwin Flack Ave outside the hockey centre have been changed to default to green for those coming down the rise even though nobody goes straight on when there's no hockey event on and the wait for them to change is a very long one. If you ride anti clockwise and come down the rise from the stadium direction then you nearly always have the green arrow so you can keep going.

Crossing over Australia Avenue from Bennelong Parkway is a right pain too going clockwise as those lights struggle to recognise a bike and it isn't the kind of intersection you can ride through safely on red. Most traffic there turns left as well so the straight on light doesn't get triggered.
2013 Lynskey R230. 2001 Lemond Buenos Aires.
Hergest
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: Guildford West, NSW

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby SheikYerbouti » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:20 am

Hergest wrote:They were working on the new lights last week so fingers crossed they will be activated this coming week. I certainly hope so as they will make a world of difference at that horrible junction.


They are up and running now - might have been on for a couple of days, but today was my first SOP ride in a week. The lights have certainly reduced my anxiety when riding down from the Rhodes bridge to the waterfront path back towards Olympic Park.
SheikYerbouti
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:47 am

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby SmellyTofu » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:49 pm

Hallelujah!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
User avatar
SmellyTofu
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby tubby74 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:01 am

Hergest wrote:Not a safety issue but if you ride the external loop of Olympic Park makes sure you do it anti clockwise. The lights at the corner of Sarah Durack Ave and Edwin Flack Ave outside the hockey centre have been changed to default to green for those coming down the rise even though nobody goes straight on when there's no hockey event on and the wait for them to change is a very long one. If you ride anti clockwise and come down the rise from the stadium direction then you nearly always have the green arrow so you can keep going.

Crossing over Australia Avenue from Bennelong Parkway is a right pain too going clockwise as those lights struggle to recognise a bike and it isn't the kind of intersection you can ride through safely on red. Most traffic there turns left as well so the straight on light doesn't get triggered.


Had a meeting with council this morning. The lights near the railway bridge have been fixed to they don't default to the carpark entry. I also raised the sensors at Australia Ave never picking up bikes, SOPA will look into it.
tubby74
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:02 pm

Previous

Return to New South Wales

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hergest



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit