SOP Safety Alert Thread

wombatK

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby wombatK » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:40 pm

Shared path in front of Rhodes Community Center now open. Woo hoo :)
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:32 pm

wombatK wrote:Shared path in front of Rhodes Community Center now open. Woo hoo :)

Woo hoo indeed! I went past at 7-30 or so and it was still shut but it looked like things were close to be finished so it's great to know it's all done. The railway bridge will be the next thing to close.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:57 pm

Hold the front page! The sweeper was going along Bennelong Parkway this morning clearing away the thick piles of Casuarina twigs. Made a nice job of it too. It would be even better if someone went out with a jackhammer and cleared up the spilt concrete by the construction sites but I'm not holding my breath.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:17 pm

Anyone got any recent maps/examples of the route from Parramatta near the ferry wharf down to Armory Cafe? Or is it still faster to go via the old way of M4 cycleway then take the road through Silverwater?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:01 pm

g-boaf wrote:Anyone got any recent maps/examples of the route from Parramatta near the ferry wharf down to Armory Cafe? Or is it still faster to go via the old way of M4 cycleway then take the road through Silverwater?
Been a while since I have been that way, but I think this ride covers what you are after

tez001

Postby tez001 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:22 am

g-boaf wrote:Anyone got any recent maps/examples of the route from Parramatta near the ferry wharf down to Armory Cafe? Or is it still faster to go via the old way of M4 cycleway then take the road through Silverwater?
Easiest would be to take the Parra Cycleway from the ferry wharf, north along the river and cross over at Silverwater bridge

https://goo.gl/maps/KQrvq1LyThq

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:21 am

Ah, perfect, thanks Bruce & Tez001. :)

g-boaf

Re: SOP Safety Alert - Opal Tower area

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:49 pm

The area around the new 30 story Opal Tower has been closed off:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-24/ ... n/10666734
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/opa ... 50o4b.html

The building has apparently this morning been making ominous cracking sounds. I read elsewhere that internal doors are jamming as well. Everyone has reportedly been evacuated and the safety of the building is being assessed.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:29 am

normally I do laps on the inside line (anticlockwise) but due to lanes being closed in a couple of spots went out on the outer lane yesterday. beneleong parkway and kevin coombs ave maybe half the cars there bother to turn and look at through traffic before turning, that really needs a stop sign rather than give way. Lights at Australia ave still don't pick up bikes, and the carpark entry at P4 the lights were prioritising the non existent traffic going into the carpark, so 3 minutes of through traffic banking up and then ignoring the lights.

All this is right outside BNSW offices. Just like the signs when the bike lane was closed for a year saying cyclists had to get off and walk. Does anyone in BNSW ride a bike?

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:43 pm

Saw on reddit there is a driverless bus in the park on trial between the train station and P3 during the day. Quite slow and with a supervisor but worth being aware of

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:59 pm

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:55 pm

tubby74 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:43 pm
Saw on reddit there is a driverless bus in the park on trial between the train station and P3 during the day. Quite slow and with a supervisor but worth being aware of
The news report I watched last night showed the bus driving in the bike lane. :roll: It's limited to 20kmh.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:35 pm

The path along towards the Armoury is closed for repairs from where the boat ramp is.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:36 pm

Does anyone know if there is any timetable in place to fix up the road surface from the athletics centre to the australia ave lights? Its worse than a rutted dirt road and you need to ride well out and claim the traffic lane. A half assed patch job thats been there for many months now.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Thu May 14, 2020 11:24 am

Praise the road gods, they have finally resurfaced the entired road width from the stadium to australia ave. Alas the temporary cycle lane from the pool to aus ave is only a foot wide in places. What do you expect from SOPA, safety and standards?

elden.mcd

Postby elden.mcd » Wed May 27, 2020 12:49 pm

I collected a handful of screws from the bike lane this morning on the outside corner of Sarah Durack Ave and Edwin Flack Ave. A cleaning cart was passing by, so I left the screws with him and he said he would notify security in case it was not just isolated construction rubbish.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:43 am

elden.mcd wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:49 pm
I collected a handful of screws from the bike lane this morning on the outside corner of Sarah Durack Ave and Edwin Flack Ave. A cleaning cart was passing by, so I left the screws with him and he said he would notify security in case it was not just isolated construction rubbish.
Wow, lots of screws there :D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:51 am

Down the end near Putney today is some local market set up. The path is blocked with “Cyclists dismount” signs and some way too aggressive security guy grabbing the handlebars of riders. He did it to a middle aged lady crawling along on a step over bike, she was absolutely furious.

The other security lady suggested that bicycles should be on the road... :roll:

It’s a major cycle way to be shared and with a lot of traffic - also walkers, runners and others on a Sunday morning. It’s not like anyone is going fast there so having aggro security people there blocking the route is not needed.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun May 16, 2021 1:06 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:51 am
Down the end near Putney today is some local market set up. The path is blocked with “Cyclists dismount” signs and some way too aggressive security guy grabbing the handlebars of riders. He did it to a middle aged lady crawling along on a step over bike, she was absolutely furious.
It's held monthly on the second Sunday or thereabouts. Westbound, I just go on the road at the loop under the Ryde Bridge and then on to Belmore and Rothesay Ave.

I agree it's a nightmare around that area when the markets are on. Lots of foot traffic and also vehicle traffic as there is just no parking around close by.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun May 16, 2021 10:29 pm

tez001 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 1:06 pm
g-boaf wrote:
It's held monthly on the second Sunday or thereabouts. Westbound, I just go on the road at the loop under the Ryde Bridge and then on to Belmore and Rothesay Ave.

I agree it's a nightmare around that area when the markets are on. Lots of foot traffic and also vehicle traffic as there is just no parking around close by.
I fortunately only ride around that area rarely, it’s far too stressful have to dodge and swerve every minute or two. The whole Parramatta River Cycleway is so crowded.

Said security guy looked pretty suspicious as well and you never go grabbing the handlebars of someone’s bike while they are riding - ever.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:48 pm

g-boaf wrote:

The other security lady suggested that bicycles should be on the road... :roll:

It’s a major cycle way to be shared and with a lot of traffic - also walkers, runners and others on a Sunday morning. It’s not like anyone is going fast there so having aggro security people there blocking the route is not needed.
There's a monthly market at the park just west of the Ryde bridge as well these days - path closed to cyclists, but easy enough to get around that 200m section on the road without too much trouble.

Another event coming up at the end of June as well - 3 days ....
New Event: Riverside Pop-up festival 25 to 27 June. Great news everyone, the City of Ryde is proud to launch a pop-up music, food and wine event that will take place at the picturesque Ryde Wharf Reserve in June.

The Riverside Pop-up will occur over three days between Friday 25 June and Sunday 27 June and feature activities that will appeal to people of all ages.

The event will feature live music from a range of talented musicians performing from the Caravan Stage.

A pop-up bar will also serve a variety of drinks, including cocktails prepared by local gin producer Buffalo Vale.

Adults will also able to keep warm on the Friday and Saturday nights with mulled wine and gas fire heaters, while food trucks will also be on hand throughout the three days serving up both savoury and sweet treats.

There will also be pony rides as well as free face painting and craft activities on the Saturday and Sunday of the event.

I am so excited about this event as it will showcase some great live music, delicious food and drinks, as well as some really fun kids’ activities, all with a backdrop of the beautiful Parramatta River.

We stage some of the best events right here in the City of Ryde, and the Riverside Pop-up will continue that great tradition.

Operating hours for the Riverside Pop-up will be:

Friday 25 June 2021: 6.00pm - 9.00pm
Saturday 26 June 2021: 11.00am - 9.00pm
Sunday 27 June 2021: 11.00am - 4.00pm

Site capacities for the event will be in line with COVID-19 restrictions. All attendees will be required to register their attendance via QR code.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:30 pm

Most of the water across the paths has gone now - there's a very slight dribble between Silverwater bridge and the Armoury, and a couple of places along George Kendall park still, but these few days of sunshine have made a big difference compared to how wet the path was even as recently as Thursday.