SOP Safety Alert Thread

wombatK

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby wombatK » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:52 pm

goneriding wrote:There is some new curbing outside the Archery Centre along with a new bike lane just after the bridge. There is no reflective material on the curbing making it difficult to see in the dark (even with good lights). I've email SOPA but in the interim keep an eye out for the curbing!
Yeah, the new work to narrow the road there and further down along Hill Road to the Ferry have made cycling there quite a bit more risky.

It's hard to see any point to it, other than it being directed against car hoon/drag racers. Cyclists will be collateral damage in the war against stupid cagers. Definitiely not a fan of it. :evil:
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:04 pm

Had a car which had pulled up just past the road works area do a U-turn almost on me. I take the blame for riding too close to the fencing around the road works, should have taken the lane and been more visible.

It is a little annoying when cars don't slow down for road works and changed traffic conditions. Too blase about driving.

JM

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:44 pm

Bennelong Parkway is a bit of a mess after the rain of the last week. There are at least 3 rather large potholes on the cage side of the white line but guess where all the debris is situated?

Also watch out for the bird who wasn't quick enough. It is cunningly draped across the bike lane (yuk). There's also another furry dead thing on Sarah Durack near Olympic Blvd.

Bike is back to standard SOP condition. That is covered in filth. It only takes one ride :(

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:45 am

goneriding wrote:Bennelong Parkway is a bit of a mess after the rain of the last week.
understatement of the year!

:)

a couple of others in the area had been patched as of this morning but of course they didnt bother to sweep up the debris :roll:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:21 pm

Idiot cyclist at around 6pm on Hill Road going north. NO FREAKING LIGHTS!!! FRONT OR REAR ARE YOU CRAZY?!!!! AND CROSSING THE TWO LANES - to do a RIGHT TURN INTO PONDAGE LINK WITH TRUCKS AND CARS GOING AT 60KM+ BEHIND YOU!!!!

ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!

So fellow SOP peeps, watch out for this cyclist on a red bike.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:00 am

SYDNEY TELSTRA 500 V8 SUPERCARS MOTOR RACE

WEEK TWO 17 –23 OCTOBER 2011

Works associated with the temporary overlay for the Sydney Telstra 500 will continue

on Monday 17 October.

Special Works to Note:

· Monday 17th October – Friday 21st October: FULL ROAD CLOSURE of

Australia Ave between Murray Rose Ave and Kevin Coombes Ave for the

construction of concrete barriers, debris fencing and pit building.

· The completion of pedestrian bridges will be done at night. Each bridge will

require road closures and diversions for a period of approx 3hrs.

· Coach Pod B will be closed for the construction of grandstands and corporate

platforms.

WEEK THREE 24 – 30 OCTOBER 2011

Works will continue along Australia Avenue, however, it will re-open for vehicle use.

Traffic management will be in place between Herb Elliott Avenue and Grand Parade

allowing the traffic to be contra flowed on the eastern carriage way.

New works will see:

· Concrete Barriers being placed along the Holker Bus way

· Concrete barriers being placed along Kevin Coombes Avenue and Edwin Flack

Avenue; and

· Closure of Coach Pod B will continue -construction of grandstands and corporate

platforms.

During each week, there may be the need for additional traffic diversions to be in place

throughout the precinct. At all times traffic management wardens will be in place to

ensure the smooth passage of traffic.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:01 pm

SYDNEY TELSTRA 500 V8 SUPERCARS MOTOR RACE
WEEK FOUR 31 OCTOBER – 6 NOVEMBER 2011
Works associated with the temporary overlay for the Sydney Telstra 500 continue.
Works will continue along Australia Avenue. Traffic management will be in place
between Herb Elliott Avenue and Grand Parade allowing the traffic to be contra flowed
on the eastern carriage way.
New works will see:
· Concrete barriers will be placed along and Edwin Flack Avenue and Coach Pod B;
and
· Grandstands and Corporate structures being constructed along Dawn Fraser Ave
and Australia Ave (Pit lane).
CLOSURES
· Southbound Lanes will be closed on Edwin Flack Ave for the installation of
concrete barriers. All traffic will be contra flowed on the northern carriage way.
As there will be a great deal of construction and activity on Australia Ave over coming
weeks, pedestrians are encouraged to use the footbridge provided across Australia Ave,
at Jacaranda Square once opened.
WEEK FIVE 7 – 13 NOVEMBER 2011
New Works will see:
· Concrete barriers will be installed along Dawn Fraser Avenue between Edwin Flack
and Showground Rd; and
· Grandstands and corporate structures being constructed in Australia Avenue and
Dawn Fraser Ave.
Special Note: Due to bad weather week 5 works are subject to change. Confirmation of
these works will be issued next week.
During the each week, there may be the need for additional traffic diversions to be in
place throughout the precinct. At all times traffic management wardens will be in place
to ensure the smooth passage of traffic.
Please call Chris Bastic, Homebush Motor Racing Authority General Manager
Stakeholder Relations, on 0418 771 552 should you have any enquires on the temporary
overlay works or other matters associated with the Sydney Telstra 500 V8 Supercars
motor race.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:15 pm

thomashouseman wrote: New works will see:

· Concrete Barriers being placed along the Holker Bus way
I saw it and I don't get it. Are they planning to have the race go up and down the busway with donuts at the end? :?

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:12 pm

<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:22 pm

I cycled past the concrete barriers this weekend and thought it was totally unnecessary. What a way to ruin the busway. So many fences, the area feels like a cage/prison atm :-(

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:00 pm

To keep the bogans and the buses away from each other?

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:00 pm

goneriding wrote:To keep the bogans and the buses away from each other?
Are they running buses during the race? Isn't it over the weekend? You're not a true fan unless you drive your V8 to SOP :-/

Last year, a group of spectators could be seen on the pyramid watching the race - prime viewing spot.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:50 am

Email received:
Community Update: Traffic intersection upgrade at Edwin Flack, Birnie and Shane Gould Avenues

Sydney Olympic Park Authority has commenced work on a project to improve traffic flow and safety at the intersection of Edwin Flack Avenue, Birnie Avenue and Shane Gould Avenue.
The project will see traffic signals installed at the intersection, along with an additional lane exiting Shane Gould Avenue and right hand turning lanes from Edwin Flack Avenue into both Birnie Avenue and Shane Gould Avenue. The project will require a number of trees to be removed from the median strip and to accommodate the additional lanes and improve sight lines for the intersection. New tree plantings will be done adjacent to the P3 car park and Australia Avenue marker.
There may be some changes to traffic conditions at the intersection including the temporary closure of Shane Gould Avenue, as important works are carried out for the project. Works will be programmed to avoid any clashes with major events occurring in the Park, wherever possible.
This road upgrade project is expected to be completed by mid 2012.
Sydney Olympic Park Authority appreciates your cooperation throughout the project and apologises for any inconvenience caused.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:08 am

That sucks! Another set of lights to run!

BTW, keep an eye out on Bennelong Parkway a couple of hundred meters back from the recycling station. There are some nasty potholes that have kicked out a lot of gravel into the bike lane.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:23 pm

When I barely missed thoes craters my first thought was an IED had gone off.

What the hell created them? RAAF accidentally drop a cluster bomb...

The rangers/authority should police that type of thing - it is not in anyway concealed.

PS Goneriding stop being rude and allow me to track your every move on Strava :twisted:

JM

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:23 pm

Sydguy wrote:
PS Goneriding stop being rude and allow me to track your every move on Strava :twisted:

JM
[sledge]I probably should as it's the only way you'll be able to keep up ;) [/sledge]

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:45 pm

hahaha love it!

Strava is as bad as StalkBook - feel a bit dirty checking up on peoples rides.

This weekend most SOP rides are canned, unsure which way the Saturday Baybug crew will go and the Sunday LACC ride... who knows.

Hopefully the starting points remain the same but we can cycle off in a different direction, can't imagine much fun dodging V8's in the park.

JM

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:59 pm

goneriding wrote:That sucks! Another set of lights to run!
But sadly necessary - there are just a huge number of accidents there - including several cyclists I've seen knocked over there.

The Dawn Fraser Ave/Edwin Flack intersection outside the Formula 1 isn't much better in peak hours, and will probably end up
with traffic light treatment because bone-headed motorists are just too impatient.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:01 pm

wombatK wrote:
goneriding wrote:That sucks! Another set of lights to run!
But sadly necessary - there are just a huge number of accidents there - including several cyclists I've seen knocked over there.

The Dawn Fraser Ave/Edwin Flack intersection outside the Formula 1 isn't much better in peak hours, and will probably end up
with traffic light treatment because bone-headed motorists are just too impatient.
Agreed. I've spent the odd hour or two riding around there and find that I need to be uber cautious at both as I've had a number of close calls at both. The turnoff at Olympic Blvd can be a bit hairy at times!

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:45 pm

The visibility of drivers crossing Edwin Flack Ave is terrible though. That's why you see drivers hesitant to enter the road. It either needs a traffic light or a roundabout.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:56 pm

The intersection is finally getting a traffic light at last. Saw it being setup but not working yet.

Btw, anyone else noticed the electronic traffic sign at Hill Rd is now saying "watch out for cyclists - the road is there to share"

Finally, a nice safety initiative around the area :)

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:22 pm

CommuRider wrote: Btw, anyone else noticed the electronic traffic sign at Hill Rd is now saying "watch out for cyclists - the road is there to share"
Was on the Holker St signs yesterday too....

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:07 am

Saw some epic potholes out there yesterday :shock:

Part of the problem is that the never get fixed properly - they just chuck some bitumen in the hole and pat it down.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:50 am

JV911 wrote:Part of the problem is that the never get fixed properly - they just chuck some bitumen in the hole and pat it down.
That seemed to be the SOP for Australian road crew. In Germany, I notice their repair works are of far higher quality. Never short temporary fixes like what we see here.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:37 pm

And it's on again:

Thursday 22 March 2012
In preparation for the Sydney Royal Easter Show the following roads will be closed:
Australia Avenue will be closed between Murray Rose Avenue and Kevin Coombs Avenue
Showground Road will be closed between Murray Rose Avenue and Grand Parade
Olympic Boulevard will be closed between Dawn Fraser Avenue and the Northern Turning Circle
Grand Parade will be closed between Olympic Boulevard and Australia Avenue
The above roads will reopen on Thursday 26 April 2012.
The above road closures cover the construction and dismantle periods of the Royal Easter Show.
Additional road closures for the operational period of the Show will commence on Thursday 5 April 2012.