SOP Safety Alert Thread

CommuRider

SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby CommuRider » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:14 pm

...along the lines of the M5 & M7 threads and while we do have the patrols here the volume of cyclists means some issues do arise.

Anyway, passing on the message as I did not witness it.

This evening two BMX riders, one on a grey bike, the other on a racing green mugged a pedestrian on the PSP near the Hill Rd interchange. They have been seen before around the area scouring the local playgrounds for unattended bikes. The green rider is fat and both are quite young, possibly in their teens.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

wombatK

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby wombatK » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:11 pm

SOP is one of my favourite riding haunts, so I know most of it pretty well - but I've got no idea where the Hill Rd Interchange is. Did you mean where the Holker Busway meets Hill Rd ?

Rode through there around 6 pm-ish tonight, but saw no dramas anywhere. Quite a lot of families lugging show-bags back to their
cars, so it would have been difficult finding anywhere to mug someone without lots of witnesses about.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:21 pm

Not that one sorry, further south near where Pondage Link is. There are some unlit footpaths that lead to Newington and the ped got attacked at the one next to the creek.

Yeah I agree that with the Easter Show and all there would be more witnesses. It sounds opportunistic to me but just thinking about it, last night I did see a couple of BMX riders with no lights on at all, front or rear. So just be on alert for those two!

JV911

Postby JV911 » Sun May 01, 2011 5:11 pm

if i lised all the potholes after all this rain i think i'd crash the bna server!
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed May 04, 2011 8:00 pm

Seems to have been filled! A lot of packs out tonight with their lights. Parts of Olympic Blvd & Australia Ave still closed. Elsewhere is cleared up.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed May 04, 2011 9:31 pm

CommuRider wrote:Seems to have been filled! A lot of packs out tonight with their lights. Parts of Olympic Blvd & Australia Ave still closed. Elsewhere is cleared up.
Pretty close to no-one there last night ! Must have been the sugar-babies out tonight :)
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed May 04, 2011 9:50 pm

LOL.

@WombatK you gotta choose your evenings properly around SOP :-) Counted several with 6/5 all using their super-lumen light. Maybe the beautiful weather today was the extra incentive to stretch out the legs.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed May 04, 2011 10:07 pm

Applied a bit of glue to this thread and made it a bit sticky for you ;).

Is it slightly sad that all of the NSW sticky threads relate to various dangerous areas and/or roadworks and detours that are like the Neverending Story?
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed May 04, 2011 10:09 pm

We're a pessimistic bunch here! Gotta have our daily dose of gore, frustration - and occasional bursts of sunshine.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed May 04, 2011 10:39 pm

CommuRider wrote:We're a pessimistic bunch here! Gotta have our daily dose of gore, frustration - and occasional bursts of sunshine.
Couldn't agree more ;)
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon May 16, 2011 8:16 pm

GLW saw that a cyclist had been hit at the stop sign on Edwin Flack Ave/Dawn Fraser Ave (outside Formula 1 hotel) this morning before 8:30 am. Ambulance in attendance, as was the driver. Unfortunately, no details on the extent of injury. Can only hope it wasn't too serious.

Edwin Flack Ave is a popular route for cyclists. It's always worth covering your brakes and being ready for those who can not see when you come to this intersection. And the next one south at Birnie Ave/Acquatic Center car park entrance.
WombatK

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon May 16, 2011 9:24 pm

Yup, that's where a confluence of traffic comes along with buses taking that route also. +1 that the injury isn't serious too (hope it's not anyone from here!!!)

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue May 17, 2011 3:32 pm

I was out there around 0830 but didn't see anything although there was a red patch on the road which was still there this morning. I hope that isn't what I think it is!

I'm not a fan of that intersection, especially the geniuses who drive halfway across the intersection as I approach. Contrary to statements made elsewhere, I'm a safety (as in mine) first kind of guy, so any movement through that intersection gets me slowing big time. If only the geniuses understood that they'd get through quicker if they stopped where they were supposed to to!

The Aquatic Centre is not a favourtie either. Actually, the lights just further on from there can be a bit dodgy when cars pass you, then slow and drift into the cycle lane as they take the corner. I've had the odd moment there!

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue May 17, 2011 3:36 pm

goneriding wrote: I'm not a fan of that intersection, especially the geniuses who drive halfway across the intersection as I approach.
This is probably one of the bigger black spots around the area. Nearly ALL cars drive halfway - give a shifty look and proceed. Even the buses do that. They really need to fix that section traffic wise. Perhaps once we get rid that Vrooom, Vroom race they could install lights or a roundabout for everyone's safety. I don't know if having two stop signs in that intersection is really wise as it creates a traffic backlog (turning right) as there is plenty of rat running around that area to avoid Homebush Bay Drive .

This is an area where you really need super bright lights at night.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue May 17, 2011 4:00 pm

CommuRider wrote:This is an area where you really need super bright lights at night.
1,200 lumens baby! Stops the charmers in their tracks.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Thu May 19, 2011 12:51 pm

[quote="goneriding"]I'm not a fan of that intersection, especially the geniuses who drive halfway across the intersection as I approach. /quote]

+1

i always assume people are not going to give way :(
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

philip

Postby philip » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:08 pm

Complaints against riders using SOPA precinct for early morning training
Cycling NSW, Tuesday, 21 June 2011
Once again SOPA are receiving complaints about cyclists using the SOPA precinct for training on a Tuesday and Thursday morning. It appears to be groups involved and they are continuing to run red lights and stop signs and show a total disregard for other users.

Members who use the SOPA precinct for training please be advised that they can expect to see a Police presence patrolling the precinct in future and that any riders who are caught disobeying traffic regulations may be dealt with by the Police. It is a shame that matters have gotten to this stage, however we (cyclists) have no one to blame other than ourselves.

Kevin Young
Chief Executive Officer
Cycling NSW
Ok.. who's riding there Tue/Thu? :(

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:51 pm

It couldn't possibly be LACC because they are still in the process of getting their incorporation sorted out :) I can only imagine it could be a bunch of loosely affiliated individuals spontaneously massaging an orange light.

Actually, there has been a police presence at SOP over the last couple of weeks between Australia Ave and Olympic Blvd. They seem more interested in caged ones than cyclists. They also seem to think it ok to park in the cycle lane to do their business (I know they are entitled to).

JV911

Postby JV911 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:40 am

goneriding wrote:It couldn't possibly be LACC because they are still in the process of getting their incorporation sorted out :)
must be those Parramatta guys :D
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:12 am

It's the largest group, whatever that one is. Approx 20-40+ riders. I've been sick the past month and have been driving into work and they're especially bad at the Edwin Flack/Old Hill link traffic lights. The bunch cruises through them (albeit slowly) while plainly red. I'm not surprised someone has reported them.

T.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:23 am

thomashouseman wrote:It's the largest group, whatever that one is. Approx 20-40+ riders. I've been sick the past month and have been driving into work and they're especially bad at the Edwin Flack/Old Hill link traffic lights. The bunch cruises through them (albeit slowly) while plainly red..
At that time of day, if they are going towards ANZ (southbound) there's no traffic going to/from the Acer Arena car park, so the intersection is like a T, and the lights there don't pick up cyclists very well. So I wouldn't be that surprised. If it's the other way, it's suicidal to run the red.

Whatever, running the red light isn't the right approach. They should report the failure to trip of the traffic sensors.
WombatK

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:26 pm

thomashouseman wrote:The bunch cruises through them (albeit slowly) while plainly red.
Couldn't possibly be LACC then ;)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:11 pm

philip wrote:Complaints against riders using SOPA precinct for early morning training
Cycling NSW, Tuesday, 21 June 2011
Once again SOPA are receiving complaints about cyclists using the SOPA precinct for training on a Tuesday and Thursday morning. It appears to be groups involved and they are continuing to run red lights and stop signs and show a total disregard for other users.

Members who use the SOPA precinct for training please be advised that they can expect to see a Police presence patrolling the precinct in future and that any riders who are caught disobeying traffic regulations may be dealt with by the Police. It is a shame that matters have gotten to this stage, however we (cyclists) have no one to blame other than ourselves.

Kevin Young
Chief Executive Officer
Cycling NSW
Ok.. who's riding there Tue/Thu? :(

I find this interesting. When was the last time you saw the NRMA send out an e-mail to all members in regards to complaints about motorists across NSW running red lights, speeding etc??
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:48 pm

queequeg wrote: I find this interesting. When was the last time you saw the NRMA send out an e-mail to all members in regards to complaints about motorists across NSW running red lights, speeding etc??
Been a member of the NRMA for donkeys years, and never received an e-mail from them on any subject.

But they do regularly give drivers warning about safe driving, not speeding etc.,.
Running red lights is life threatening and ultimately futile. There are times when it is not possible to stop for a yellow light as sudden braking might cause a crash. The light sequencing recognises this by holding yellow for quite a long time, however always aim to stop for the amber light if you have the space.
from http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/road-safety/city.htm. It is the interest of cycling NSW to remind errant members of their legal responsibilities - just as the NRMA does.

Having given them credit for that, their leaders comments in last Friday's 7:30 (NSW) edition on the City cycleways is
representing the interest of a few privileged motorists whose company pays for their CBD parking (such as herself).

The vast majority of motorists can not afford CBD parking, and would be better served by cycleway infrastructure - as the young family in 7:30 report explained.

Cheers
WombatK

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:43 pm

There is some new curbing outside the Archery Centre along with a new bike lane just after the bridge. There is no reflective material on the curbing making it difficult to see in the dark (even with good lights). I've email SOPA but in the interim keep an eye out for the curbing!