SOP Safety Alert Thread

jdh500
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:19 pm

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby jdh500 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:17 pm

Went through the homebush bay area near the bridge construction and the cycleway was open again.

JDH

Hergest
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: Guildford West, NSW

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby Hergest » Fri May 01, 2015 4:01 pm

Cars and utes have started to park on the cycleway along Bennelong Parkway as an overflow for that car park that the construction workers use. There was no sign this morning of any rangers ticketing them and you have to move onto the road to go past. Hopefully it gets sorted as it's a real safety issue.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Image

tubby74
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby tubby74 » Mon May 04, 2015 2:40 pm

A ute parked crashed into the parked cars there about an hour ago. Police and rangers were attending so might be a good time to write to sopa about their safety obligations.
Got pics, will put them up when I get home

tez001
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:05 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby tez001 » Mon May 04, 2015 3:22 pm

Is that the bit where the motorcycle riders normally go to learn?

tubby74
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby tubby74 » Mon May 04, 2015 4:16 pm

yes, there were a few cars parked outside that area in the bike lane approaching the entrance. Didn't see the crash but looks like the ute just clipped the parked cars. there's no damage on the back of the tray so doesn't like he was pushed in. The ute that was t-boned was previously parked on the cycle lane, maybe a foot gap to the line so it was a pretty big hit
And in unrelated news, there's a large tree down on the cycle path parallel to the M4 on the Newington side.
Image

Hergest
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: Guildford West, NSW

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby Hergest » Mon May 04, 2015 5:31 pm

It's really slack of the SOP authorities that the cars and utes are being allowed to park in the cycle lane. The rangers must drive past there a hundred times a day but it's clear that no one is being ticketed if people are still parking there. Maybe someone might do something about it after this.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Image

User avatar
apsilon
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Hills District, Sydney

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby apsilon » Mon May 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Hergest wrote:.......it's clear that no one is being ticketed if people are still parking there.


Maybe or they could just continue to park there regardless. Not long ago we had construction going on in the site next to work. Was supposed to take 6 weeks, ended up taking over a year apparently due to unforeseen issues (incompetence from what I saw). We had all the tradies parking all over the bloody place. On the footpath, on the bend where the road narrows and there's doubles lines, even in or partially over our driveway at times which really impressed the B double drivers coming and going. The council rangers would come out daily and fine them all and they'd be there again the next day. Ranger would come out and fine them all again etc etc etc. Every day for months on end. Either they don't pay the fines, don't care or are earning way more than I am and can afford it.

ab012
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:45 am

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby ab012 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:01 pm

tubby74 wrote:yes, there were a few cars parked outside that area in the bike lane approaching the entrance. Didn't see the crash but looks like the ute just clipped the parked cars. there's no damage on the back of the tray so doesn't like he was pushed in. The ute that was t-boned was previously parked on the cycle lane, maybe a foot gap to the line so it was a pretty big hit
Image


Wow, I was just about to log in and post about seeing the parking on the cycleway this morning

tubby74 wrote:And in unrelated news, there's a large tree down on the cycle path parallel to the M4 on the Newington side.


Was ALSO just about to post about this after almost riding into it as I had the sun in my eyes and it was just the right (wrong) angle at that time of the day (pm)!

tubby74
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby tubby74 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:14 pm

was hard to miss the tree going eastwards at midday, no going round, was bike over the shoulder and scramble through

Image

tubby74
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby tubby74 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:19 pm

Got a response from SOPa regarding the parking in the bike lane - they were unaware of it apparently. despite rangers going past a dozen times a day they never noticed.
and the dangerous closure of the bike lane - it is the fault of cyclists for failing to dismount. I've sent the details along to the local MP to highlight how badly SOPA behave on traffic management, see if the new guy is anywhere near as responsive as Barbara Perry used to be

tubby74
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby tubby74 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:00 am

the cycle lane on belelong parkway just after turning on from Australia avenue is blocked today by 4 signs advising of roadworks ahead. I couldn't see ay change from the usual though it could be intermittent stoppages there, coming the other way the lane is half covered by the signs
also noted a lot of signs in the park advising of the detour route now that the M4 is off limits from the start to parramatta

tez001
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:05 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby tez001 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:22 am

I've seen the signs around Olympic Park however cannot work out the detour route. Is the detour aimed at cyclists using the M4 shoulder instead of the cyclepath?

tubby74
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby tubby74 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:34 am

Image

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7015
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:34 am

tez001 wrote:I've seen the signs around Olympic Park however cannot work out the detour route. Is the detour aimed at cyclists using the M4 shoulder instead of the cyclepath?

Yep - as you can see from the map Tubby posted. If the M2 is anything to go by, it is only "temporary" on a geological timescale.

Hergest
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: Guildford West, NSW

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby Hergest » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:19 pm

I see the map above but it's too small to see anything and I can't find the document on the West Connex website. Have you got a direct link to where you downloaded the map from? Thanks.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Image

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7015
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:44 pm

IIRC it was a flyer in tubby's letter box that he scanned & posted.

Basically this is the route on google maps. If you are confident enough to ride on the M4, I have no idea why you would detour via bicentennial park and pondage link.

Hergest
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: Guildford West, NSW

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby Hergest » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:44 pm

find_bruce wrote:IIRC it was a flyer in tubby's letter box that he scanned & posted.

Basically this is the route on google maps. If you are confident enough to ride on the M4, I have no idea why you would detour via bicentennial park and pondage link.


Thanks Bruce, that's the normal route though as the path that looks to go on the M4 is actually going underneath the flyover.

Last week they were setting up a load of ATF fencing underneath the flyover that appeared to keep the path open as the piling work that will be done first is to the southern edge of the large motorway easement. I suppose I shall find out what is open and closed on Friday when I ride that way.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Image

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7015
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:14 pm

Hergest wrote:
find_bruce wrote:IIRC it was a flyer in tubby's letter box that he scanned & posted.

Basically this is the route on google maps. If you are confident enough to ride on the M4, I have no idea why you would detour via bicentennial park and pondage link.


Thanks Bruce, that's the normal route though as the path that looks to go on the M4 is actually going underneath the flyover.

Last week they were setting up a load of ATF fencing underneath the flyover that appeared to keep the path open as the piling work that will be done first is to the southern edge of the large motorway easement. I suppose I shall find out what is open and closed on Friday when I ride that way.

Paul, what is being closed to cyclists is not the M4 path, but the M4 istelf - ie riding on the shoulder from Concord Rd to James Ruse Drive - cycling has been prohibited for years from James Ruse Dr to Church St

Hergest
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: Guildford West, NSW

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby Hergest » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:13 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Paul, what is being closed to cyclists is not the M4 path, but the M4 istelf - ie riding on the shoulder from Concord Rd to James Ruse Drive - cycling has been prohibited for years from James Ruse Dr to Church St



I see, thanks for that. You would have to drag me screaming onto the M4 to ride anyway so I will be more than happy to not even have the option anymore.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Image

Hergest
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: Guildford West, NSW

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby Hergest » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:22 am

A bit of good news spotted this morning for those that ride between SOP and Parramatta on the north side. Outside the UWS campus underneath the railway bridge there has for years been a permanently wet spot from run off, it's a fair hazard as the path is horrible pebblecrete. Well, all new drains have been put in and the area is a dry as my wit. It's lovely.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Image

User avatar
hugh stone
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:53 am
Location: Sydney, New South Wales

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby hugh stone » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:44 pm

Hergest wrote:A bit of good news spotted this morning for those that ride between SOP and Parramatta on the north side. Outside the UWS campus underneath the railway bridge there has for years been a permanently wet spot from run off, it's a fair hazard as the path is horrible pebblecrete. Well, all new drains have been put in and the area is a dry as my wit. It's lovely.


Good news - that wet pebblecrete always concerned me.

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7015
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:13 pm

Hergest wrote:Well, all new drains have been put in and the area is a dry as my wit. It's lovely.

Only 1/2 a path then :wink:

User avatar
Bunged Knee
Posts: 749
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:29 pm
Location: Not drowning in Parramatta river yet

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:03 pm

Hergest wrote:A bit of good news spotted this morning for those that ride between SOP and Parramatta on the north side. Outside the UWS campus underneath the railway bridge there has for years been a permanently wet spot from run off, it's a fair hazard as the path is horrible pebblecrete. Well, all new drains have been put in and the area is a dry as my wit. It's lovely.


Rode past there today on way to Parramatta in wet. So much better than without drains and no water runout and dry underneath the bridge.
Got to see one day soon when it get heavy rain to find out if it fix the problem.
Pebblecrete are carp when wet as I learnt from my mistake in the past and I always slows down every time when in that area. Didn`t fall off but only slipped the front wheel once.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

tubby74
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby tubby74 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:58 am

driving benelong parkway towards the waterfront today I see the roadworks signs had been placed sensibly - off the road making use of the driveways as a gap in vegetation so you can see the signs but they don't impede the cycleway at all. Some common sense at last. Then get to the other side of the roadworks and the signs are entirely in the cycle lane with a traffic cone beside them to reduce a 6 foot cycle lane to 1 foot wide. facepalm.

ab012
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:45 am

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby ab012 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:00 pm

After the storm the bike lanes are fairly debris-filled - particular on Bennelong Parkway. I removed some of the bigger sticks while going past, but some of the sections i would suggest riders get onto the road lane as its a bit dangerous.

(On the way back I notice the council cleanup truck is cleaning the lanes in the main sections/circuit of SOP :D although often the Bennelong section may not be done immediately so take care)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users