SOP Safety Alert Thread

tubby74

Re: SOP Safety Alert Thread

Postby tubby74 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:06 pm

On and off over the last week the cycle path beside hill road near the wharf has been blocked as construction workers use the old driveways for parking. Reported to council so will have to see if they do anything, SOPA wont. May be worth others reporting, its going to be a mess down there for a couple of years
Near the right turn as benelong goes to the waterfront they had Traffic barrier boards blocking the cycle lane. No warning amd they were parallel to the lane so would be hard to see later in the day.

ab012

Postby ab012 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:02 am

I have actually given up on that path as it has very often been blocked last couple of weeks on and off. Hill Road shoulder / lane for me - although i do go non peak. (look out for trucks etc during weekdays though)

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:23 am

hill road down there is just ugly to ride on, bad surface and worse drivers. soon enough it will be changed to allow parking on the west side or two traffic lanes each way.
I finally got hold of council rangers yesterday morning so hopefully they'll keep an eye on it.

not int he park itself but was stalked by a magpie on the Rydalmere path yesterday, seeing the shadow swoop then disappear was far creepier than when they just thump your helmet.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:12 am

tubby74 wrote:
not int he park itself but was stalked by a magpie on the Rydalmere path yesterday, seeing the shadow swoop then disappear was far creepier than when they just thump your helmet.
Is that the one just after Silverwater Rd westbound on the Parramatta Valley cyclepath? I was wondering when it'd be back!

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:00 pm

Thats the one. Persistant sod

jdh500

Postby jdh500 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:10 pm

I notice the bridge across Homebush bay is progressing well, wonder what the offical open date will be?

JDH

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:12 pm

jdh500 wrote:I notice the bridge across Homebush bay is progressing well, wonder what the offical open date will be?

JDH
March `16 from http://www.homebushbaybridge.com.au/news.html
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

ab012

Postby ab012 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:21 pm

The Australia ave magpie is now up.

Actually it's the first time I have been swooped by this one despite going past there very often. All the more so since it was so gusty today and I thought I was going at a pretty good clip with the tailwind :shock: - gave me a 'friendly ' flap on the shoulder.

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:32 pm

The annual close-down of SOP roads for the car race in Dec starts 23 Oct.
http://docdro.id/5mb8LwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:57 pm

Australia ave closed this morning, and the cycle lane completely blocked for a few hundred metres before hand to advise no left turn

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:52 pm

Bennelong Parkway overbridge at Olympic Park had been closed to peds/cyclists til late `18. Thanks to developers to build more high rise buildings there.

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:03 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:Bennelong Parkway overbridge at Olympic Park had been closed to peds/cyclists til late `18. Thanks to developers to build more high rise buildings there.
It's been closed since 18th November.

FWIW, a bypass has been constructed at the NE end of Ausgrid's substation...
On the better news front, the underpass on the eastern side of the new homebush bay bridge has been open over the last week.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:27 pm

Thanks for the map of directions,wombatK.

Underpass at the HBB is closed today when I rode up to Rhodes shops via Meadowbank/Silverwater so I diverted to Shoreline Dr as there`s temporary fencings still up. It always open up and close down over many weeks.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:32 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:Thanks for the map of directions,wombatK.

Underpass at the HBB is closed today when I rode up to Rhodes shops via Meadowbank/Silverwater so I diverted to Shoreline Dr as there`s temporary fencings still up. It always open up and close down over many weeks.

Seems like it's a bit open and closed. It's been consistently open on Sundays for the last few weeks. They were hanging panels along the
side of the deck on Monday and Tuesday, so maybe that progressed to a point where they needed to close the underpass. The work on the
community center has seemed to be the main cause of the closures to date, so maybe we can look forward to it being open more often than
not.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

ab012

Postby ab012 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:34 pm

Heard some second hand notice that there were some cops checking bells (and stop sign) at Murray Rose/Aust Ave late this afternoon..(Day 1 of increased fines, who would have thought?) guess this is a safety thread-worthy notice?

(OT - I guess, after CP and SOP, we will see them at M7 next?)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:53 am

Just ride at midnight, it's probably safer - then you don't have to deal with these farcical blitzes which have absolutely nothing to do with safety.

It is safety worthy, I've had a couple of bike cops doing two-abreast through the S-curves on the M7, so it might be worth noting anything like that.

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:44 pm

Last night a regular bunch that ride SOP at night had a rider fall due to a driver originally heading eastwards doing a U turn at Kevin Coomb Ave & Olympic Blvd (currently closed for Easter Show construction). Driver (Rego: FRC009) did a runner despite hearing and seeing the rider go down hard as they were travelling westwards on Kevin Coomb Ave. Thumbs up to the workers at SOP protecting the lane from traffic west bound on Kevin Coom Ave as he laid on the ground for the SOP rangers and ambo to arrive.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:32 pm

Flat-out negligence given the sight lines and road space there, and apalling inexcusable cowardice on the drivers part in not stopping to assist. What a low-life piece of garbage.

Rangers + ambos, so I'd hope that cops turned up too and logged a report. If you had rego number, and multiple witnesses, let's hope that some strong actions are taken by the cops.

Did fallen rider need hospital treatment ? If so, fingers crossed there's nothing too sinister and he'll mend quickly.
WombatK

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:41 pm

PS glad the security guard turned up with the ambos. Even though maybe not needed for access on this occassion, a friend had a fall about 6 weeks ago on Louise Savage Pathway and ambos failed to call the security guard. So ambo's had to walk 500m from road to patient -- not good if it had been a more serious situation.

A complaint was logged, as we'd seen an incident only a week or so before where security was called together with ambos. There are other places like shopping centers where ambo dispatchers are supposed to call security to work out best access points and unlock doors. Places like SOP, M7 cycleway, Parramatta River cycleway need a ranger or like to be called to unlock gates and bollards too.
WombatK

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:33 pm

g-boaf wrote:Just ride at midnight, it's probably safer .
regulars will probably be aware but it's more a danger at night - the construction on benelong parkway just after you cross over australia ave has some of the drain grates surrounded by small sandbags. This sticks out into the surface where bikes would regularly go and would easily be enough to send someone flying.

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:15 am

Firstly a shout out to the gentleman that lent me the allen key tool whilst my chain guard made putting the chain back in impossible after I got low sided this morning at the sharp corner onto the cyclepath after heading SW bound across Haslam Creek.

Just a call out to all those riders that there's a LOT of branches on the paths and this was what caused me to lowside on the bike where the branches essentially rolled my front wheels from under me.

So to the SOP crew, please send out the sweepers and clean the path. It's really terrible out there especially during as we get into autumn where leaves are falling.

wh0sth3b0ss

Postby wh0sth3b0ss » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:12 am

Have been doing some training out at Sydney Olympic Park the last 2 weeks (2 rides).

Each time I have had a puncture. This after riding 2 years puncture free.

Points to Note:
- Copious amounts of cement pasted across the bike lanes along Benelong Parkway (First Puncture) not to mention the bike lane from Hill Road up Holker St had all rocks, bricks and branches strewn across it.
- Also saw a 20cm x 5cm hole in the concrete (below it was a drain) on Hill Road just before turning left onto Pondage Link Road.

Heading back on Sunday morning, see if I can get the trifecta of punctures...........

Is it worth contacting Olympic Park and getting them to do something about it? If there is an increase in sites due to apartments being put up, they should have people cleaning the streets from rocks, etc.

Bourney

Postby Bourney » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:56 pm

Good luck getting SOPA to do anything.. If you're riding around the SOP area, there is heaps of great riding close by, depending on what type of riding you want to do. Check out rides to Eastwood for some hills, out to Parra for more flat but fast stuff, out to Putney for some nice views (and Canada Bay too).

tez001

Postby tez001 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:25 pm

wh0sth3b0ss wrote:
Points to Note:
- Copious amounts of cement pasted across the bike lanes along Benelong Parkway (First Puncture) not to mention the bike lane from Hill Road up Holker St had all rocks, bricks and branches strewn across it.
- Also saw a 20cm x 5cm hole in the concrete (below it was a drain) on Hill Road just before turning left onto Pondage Link Road.
I just sent them a note about the concrete on Bennelong Pkwy as it is terrible and can cause one to lose control. Its been like that for approximately 2 months because I remember riding through it when it was freshly splashed down! :evil:

Ive also fired off an email to them and Auburn council about the intersection at Bennelong Pkwy and Hill Rd. Due to the residential towers, more and more cars are building up at this intersection to turn down towards the ferry wharf. Its made harder due to the amount of cars then coming along from the ferry wharf, or wanting to turn right into Bennelong Pkwy from Hill Rd.

Roundabout or traffic lights are desperately needed.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed May 04, 2016 9:33 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:
jdh500 wrote:I notice the bridge across Homebush bay is progressing well, wonder what the offical open date will be?

JDH
March `16 from http://www.homebushbaybridge.com.au/news.html
It was supposed to open in March but from the Jan wet weather delayed the progress.

Homebush Bay bridge will have the official opening on the 22nd May. On the Wenthworth Point Cyclist facebook, it said of the cutting ribbon at noon on the Rhodes side.
https://www.facebook.com/wentworthpointcyclists