A ride with my local MP

CommuRider

Re: A ride with my local MP

Postby CommuRider » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:48 pm

find_bruce wrote: Cycleworld at Burwood being just outside.
Most definitely not :?

While there is at least one person at Burwood who knows about bikes (over the phone), their customer service is way below par than Concord.

Get Mark (thick glasses, knows everything). Or his daughter Amanda. I like how she calls out "Dad........" when I have a complicated thing to ask :-)

I haven't checked Lilyfiled (sorry GR!) but Concord does stock some good road bikes but not as high end as say Clarence St Cyclery.

And Concord is on the corner of Crane St and they stock Malvern Star which might appeal to the pollie in Sidoti. Though with a surname like that, a Pinarello or Colnago might suit better ;-)
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:07 pm

I emailed Barry this morning about the City West Cycle Link, CC'ed John S, Gladys B and Duncan G.

Very balanced email with reasons why I'd be a daily used of the CWCL - worth mentioning that to John, not in his grid square but it will assist people who vote for him!

Best of luck on the ride! Come down for the Baybug ride on Saturday, we hit cafe after and I am sure people will have lots of ideas.

Jm

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:21 am

Sydguy wrote:Come down for the Baybug ride on Saturday, we hit cafe after and I am sure people will have lots of ideas.
Thanks Jim - Am I welcome on my hybrid commuter or do I need to dust off my early 90s road bike & don some lycra ?

I already have my excuses lined up - its early, its dark, its cold & its my birthday. Maybe its time to toughen up :D
Anything you can do, I can do slower

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:12 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Sydguy wrote:Come down for the Baybug ride on Saturday, we hit cafe after and I am sure people will have lots of ideas.
Thanks Jim - Am I welcome on my hybrid commuter or do I need to dust off my early 90s road bike & don some lycra ?

I already have my excuses lined up - its early, its dark, its cold & its my birthday. Maybe its time to toughen up :D
If its the one that goes from Bicentennial Park, no. Turn up in whatever you like. I did the ride once and there were 5 groups from very slow through to as fast as you can.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:54 pm

Ride what ever you have. I am normally the only hybrid in the 26 km/h bunch. Quite relaxed group.
Might see you Saturday starting 0715 hours!

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:09 pm

Did the ride eventuate? What happened?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:19 pm

His office is trying to organise it for 7:30 am Saturday 20 August, but I am away as is another of the 3, so we are trying to re-organise.

Have been told "if you have others that are interested please feel free to pass on the invitation" so PM me if interested & I will let you know the details when sorted.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:04 pm

Well the ride with John Sidoti finally eventuated this morning. There was a good roll up of about 10 riders, including John and the obligatory electoral officer, some people supporting the City West Cycle Link, including David Borrella and a number of representatives from the Baybug

We met at the at the bottom of Lilyfield Rd at Hawthorne Canal and had a good general discussion of the issues facing cyclists, especially commuters, covering everything from grand plans to the everyday difficulties such as poor cordination between councils. I took the opportunity to vent on a few of my favourite topics, including the lack of co-ordination between councils, evident in the confusion of the bay run and the continued promises of the former government that things were going to be fixed, were a priority, money allocated etc, none of which happened.

There was a good steady stream of cyclists - at least 5 riders going up the hill at any one time. There was a wide variety of riders going past,from the fast and the furious to an old man on a folding bike.

Despite our fears, John made it up the hill on Lilifield Road and got a good demonstration of the issues with car door lanes.

John is clearly willing to engage with cyclists and his questions and comments indicated that he understood the issues involved.

Now whether this talk will result in any action, only time will tell.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:08 pm

What was John riding?

Any media?

I think it was a top idea to organise this well done.

Post any follow ups please.

Cheers
Jm

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:28 pm

Thanks Bruce. Glad to hear it went ahead safely. What bike does he ride? :D is he liking it? Were the motorists on their best behaviour?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:22 am

He was riding an entry level mountain bike - ie heavy bike, usual basic shimano running gear, mech disc brakes.

On the plus side he made it up the hill & didn't appear too knackered when I left them at Pyrmont. Motorists were on their best behaviour, apart from the concrete truck parked so as to completely block the car door lane.

I plan to leave it for a few weeks then contact him again about a more social ride. My strategy is not to advocate for any particular project, but instead try an encourage him to be out on the bike. I figure that John's a smart bloke and being out riding will see enough challenges for himself.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:44 am

find_bruce wrote: We met at the at the bottom of Lilyfield Rd at Hawthorne Canal
Damn! I only just saw this thread. I saw you all gathered there on my way past. I thought of stopping (it looked like the guy in the suit was a polly) and listen in but i thought it was rude as i would have crashed the party.
find_bruce wrote:from the fast and the furious
One of those was me on the white single geared bike. i need all the speed down the bottom to get myself up that hill. Glad it went well. I would be interested in a future ride if it gets planned (as long as i find out about it sooner than the last one :oops: )
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:09 pm

Actually guy in a suit was the obligatory minder.

If you can ride up the hill on a single speed, chappeaux to you Mr Strawburger as you are a much, much better man than me. About the only bikes we didn't see on the ride were a penny farthing or a uni-cycle.

I will again publicise the ride in this forum if I can convince John to come on a more social ride