Visiting inner Sydney - would like help with safe routing

Visiting inner Sydney - would like help with safe routing

Postby yochris77 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:40 pm

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster ;)

I am visting your lovely Sydney city shortly and was thinking of bringing my bike this time. I will be staying somewhere near Darling Harbour and would like to venture out. I do not know Sydney very well, but I have been a few times before. I have seen comments that Centennial park is good? I had also thought of doing a ride out to Bondi and further south from there. I am in town for about a week, working long and odd hours, but thought I would try to squeeze a few rides in.

I am worried about what roads areas to avoid etc. I would appreciate any tips.

I would be looking at a distance of about 70'ish k's.

Spanks~!
yochris77

by BNA » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:39 pm

BNA

Re: Visiting inner Sydney - would like help with safe routin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:39 pm

Hi, I just picked up a city of Sydney map last week - perhaps you can grab one at the Sydney Council offices - or here is further info and downloads: http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/abou ... Routes.asp

The problem is that it covers really the city area - so perhaps a broader cycling travel book / map for Sydney would better suit.

Centennial is very close and a good choice if you want a very close circuit - it is a slowed traffic area so generally very good.
For longer rides and suggestions I will let some of the others who know the routes better than me chip in.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:18 pm

Centennial Park is a fun ride, but a lap is only 3.8 km so 5 km's from the city, 5 kms back so a 70 km ride is about 16 laps.

Hopefully http://www.bikely.com is working when you look at this

Bondi is a nice 10 km ride - and its about as hilly as Sydney gets. See Bondi-Beach-to-Sydney-CBD-North

From the city, I expect that your best routes for 70 km will either be inner west or south

Inner west ride would go something like Cooks River & Sydney Olympic Park or Fat-Tony-s-Loop-of-Sydney

South ride would go something like Heathcote

As for riding tips in Sydney, just remember Sydney drivers can be a bit aggressive (& pedestrians & cyclists for that matter). Keep a good eye out for cars turning left accross you or pulling out from side streets on the left.

Cheers

Bruce
find_bruce

Postby wombatK » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:56 pm

find_bruce wrote:Centennial Park is a fun ride, but a lap is only 3.8 km so 5 km's from the city, 5 kms back so a 70 km ride is about 16 laps.

Hopefully http://www.bikely.com is working when you look at this

Good suggestions, although bikely.com is getting more and more difficult to access.

Another site worth looking at is

http://www.ridethecity.com/

Asking directions from King St, Sydney to Bondi Beach picks out some pretty reasonable directions. Darling Harbour to Bondi directions will actually avoid King St, which you might prefer.

Also have a look at www.bikemap.net . Like ridethecity.com, it's based on OSM maps which have pretty good indications of
where bike paths or bicycle lanes are marked.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby sogood » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:15 pm

For the 50km and above near the city, a ride down to La Perouse would be worthwhile early on a weekend morning when traffic is very very light. Unless you take the boring route of Anzac Parade (branch off from Oxford St) all the way down, the alternate scenic route is better done by following others. On weekends lots of riders branch off from Centennial Park's Darley Rd gate and ride down Doncaster Ave off Alison Rd. If you wait around you'll sure meet up with some to tag along.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby Alex Sniga » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:01 pm

For a short trip from Darling Harbour try going across Sydney harbour bridge - I think you can actually ride all the way from Darling Harbour along Barangaroo (sp?) along the water to harbour bridge ramp, then across to Milsons Point and down from there to Luna park, then under the bridge and up to kirribilli village.
I've never done this particular route myself but I guess, would be interesting for someone out of town.

As for a long route - going to the airport and then along Brighton Le Sands beach and then to Kurnell is quite good too
Alex Sniga

Postby wombatK » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:19 pm

Alex Sniga wrote:.
As for a long route - going to the airport and then along Brighton Le Sands beach and then to Kurnell is quite good too

+1 for "safe routin". You could pick up the Bourke St cycleway from William St - there's a missing bit in the middle where you'll have to negotiate the roads. At the southern end, you can head for Coward St and the cycleway around behind the airport. To keep out of traffic, head thru the park at Tempe, across the Cooks River, and back east along the southern bank of Cooks to Marsh St. Then south-west on Marsh St, and follow the cycleway under the road and around the parklands to Kyeemagh. Can stay on the off-road cycleways then all the way to Taren Point bridge.

If you can indicate what time of day you are expecting to ride, we could give you some more specific advice. Some places would be safe to do in early am, but much more difficult in peak hours etc.,.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby yochris77 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:19 am

Thanks for the replies - that's great!

I usually start my group rides at 5:30am, so I will probably get away at roughly the same time. Looking to do somewhere around 2.5 hours and be back in time to do my work. I will probably be spending a couple of days at Peakhurst. Should I worry about trying to commute between Darling Harbour and Peakhurst or jhust get a cab?

Thanks again!
yochris77

Postby wombatK » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:40 am

yochris77 wrote:Thanks for the replies - that's great!

I usually start my group rides at 5:30am, so I will probably get away at roughly the same time. Looking to do somewhere around 2.5 hours and be back in time to do my work. I will probably be spending a couple of days at Peakhurst. Should I worry about trying to commute between Darling Harbour and Peakhurst or jhust get a cab?

Thanks again!

If you're heading out at 5:30 am, and confident enough to ride on the M5, a ride to Peakhurst would be do-able. Parts of this route
Mrs Macquarie's Chair to Condell Park via M5 could help you. The route was logged prior to the northern parts of the Bourke St cycleway opening. With the gap still in the middle of the Bourke St cycleway (from Waterloo to Zetland), and an early start, you should be okay using the Elizabeth St route out of the CBD.

Take the M5 as far as the Belmore Rd exit (King Georges Rd is not a good place for cyclists !), then take a left at Hannans Rd, east back to Bonds Rd, then follow Bonds Rd all the way south to Peakhurst (assume you're heading into the industrial area there !).

As an alternative, there is an off-road cycleway beside the M5 from King Georges Rd (actually from Bexley Road Bexley North if the M5 shoulder scares you), but the section from King Georges Rd to Bonds Rd is pretty rickety (and tricky to find at KGR, it starts behind a sound barrier wall where you get thru to Rosetta Lane, and Google satellite maps have the pathway hidden under trees). It might cut a couple of km's of the route, but be harder to find/use (and slower with road crossing). On the plus side, you'd be taking the KGR exit from the M5, and crossing that is the biggest hazard on the trip if you continue on to Belmore Rd exit.

I had a route on bikely that shows the off-road M5 pathway - but bikely is pretty dead at the moment. So here you go, I've loaded a Sydney Airport to Dunc Gray Velodrome via M5 off-road cycleway to bikemap.net which shows the relevant bits around King Georges Road.
WombatK

wombatK

Postby Saro28 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:33 pm

You can get these from City of Sydney offices or download or call the ph# and get it delivered for free.

http://www.sydneycycleways.net/maps.html

they concentrate on the city area but other maps can be obtained from RTA for other areas
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012
Saro28

Postby yochris77 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:28 pm

Thanks everybody.

I have been and have now returned to God's country ;)

I did a few rides and after the first day of trying to do the eastern beaches and getting lost..... a lot, I did my other rides in the same areas. Managed to get out to South Head, Bondi, Bronte, Centennial park and the Harbour's Bays. Had a good look around and know my way around better now. Even got a offer from a lovely "lady" standing on the side of the road as I rode by!

I reckon my Quads are twice a big as they were before I left. Plenty of hills to tackle!

Thanks again,
Chris
yochris77

Postby wagr1213 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:21 pm

Hi

Is there anywhere in Sydney that you can hire a half decent bike - Mtn or Roadie?

Got a few days in town next week and wonderin if its worth turnin a wheel.
We got a few good cycleways etc round the river and beaches here in WA which are easily accessible - is there any such routes around Sydney and maybe along the beaches etc - Stayin in a George St hotel.

Cheers
Neil
Malvern Star Oppy A4 Operator
wagr1213

Return to New South Wales