Rockdale area of NSW... advice pls

Rockdale area of NSW... advice pls

Postby cp123 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:10 pm

Hi all - hoping you kind Sydney siders could give me some advice re the Rockdale area.

I have a conference coming up that is held at the Brighton on Sands hotel in Rockdale. It's work related but we need to fund our own way (ie travel, etry, accommodation etc). Anyway, I can stay there for the "participant rate" of about $250 a night (which i understand is about $100 less than normal). :shock: but that's still way above my budget. It will be a Friday to Sunday thing with events going into the evening on both Friday and Saturday nights.

Call me plebby but i can't manage $250 a night up front for what will essentially be a bed for 6 hours (ie arriving home late, leaving early). I am not familar with Sydney at all, and from a quick google, there is a caravan park a couple of kms away (The Shiralee). Anyway, I initially thought that would be the way to go - I've got a small tent and am generally quite sufficient. Lob in there for under $50 a night, stick up the tent, jump on my MTB and ride to the hotel early morning. Take appropriate clothes in a backpack for the evening events, and then jump back on to ride back at night.

I just mentioned that to a friend who is slightly familiar with Sydney who did the "OHMYDOGAREYOUJOKING???." No way would I do that situation. :roll: I presumed that was based on either the fact that she's considerably more "girly" than me and couldn't lower herself to a caravan park, or that she knew the area and just thought it could've been a bit dodgy. I don't know if that is a normal holiday caravan park or may have some permanent residents.

Where I live here, I have no problems commuting at any hours of the day or night and for nearly 30 years have felt "safe". I guess I don't often feel "unsafe".

Would any Sydney folks have any reservations about doing the same? I need to do this on the cheap so was expecting to drive to sydney with my mtb, stick up tent, shove stuff in the car during the day, take off for 18 hours and then come back to flop to sleep. Otherwise my next "least-expensive" thing might be the Formula 1 hotel near the airport and taxis - but that's considerably more expensive, especially factoring in taxis back and forth.

I don't travel much anyway. When I do, its usually caravan park style. Its been years since I was in a hotel. Maybe that's why I'm shocked at the current prices. :lol:

Just hoping for some honest advice. If you live in or around the area, would you do it this way? I seriously do NOT want my car trashed or stuff flogged if the area may be considered slightly "unsavoury". I know there is good and bad in all areas - but as I said - I am not familiar with Sydney at all. I want to make this a good trip, not be on my guard the whole time that either my gear or my car is trashed. .

Is there anything you locals might have to say.

Many thanks in advance

cp123. :D :D :D
cp123

by BNA » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:40 pm

BNA

Re: Rockdale area of NSW... advice pls

Postby CommuRider » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:40 pm

Go for Formula1. I would want my car in the same condition I parked it.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby cp123 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:45 pm

Do i take that as a hint...? :lol: Thanks Commurider. My car is 20 years old - but its still mine. okay. i get it.
cp123

Postby wombatK » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:39 pm

CommuRider wrote:Go for Formula1. I would want my car in the same condition I parked it.

I'd be very surprised if the caravan park is not full of semi-permanent residents. Those which aren't are likely to have some pretty rough characters - not the place for a lady even one who's not too girly girly.

The Formula1 if available would be a good option. And you can ride your bike. From Ross Smith Ave, take O'Riordan St north to Coward St. From there, you pick up a shared cycleway footpath going East to the Alexandra Canal, and an off-road path that follows it south behind the airport til it meets the Cooks River. The tricky bit is making you way along the footpath across the Cooks R (Marsh St) - which is likely to have more than a few peds on it heading to the airport. An easier way is to take the first right turn across the Canal into the park at Tempe and head up to the Princess Highway, cross the River there, and head south-east again along the Cooks River cycleway which joins Marsh St, then goes south along Marsh St to just before the M5. There's an underpass below Marsh St which takes you onto the path that winds it's way around to the mouth of the Cooks River at Kyeemagh, and the cycleway continues all the way along the Bay to your hotel (and further). That'd be a nice way to start the day.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby herzog » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:16 pm

Please note that it is pronounced "Rockadaale" although you may also hear the the longer version "Rockadaalemaate".
herzog

Postby wombatK » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:40 pm

Made a route for my suggestion Mascot F1 to Brighton Le Sands - bikemap.net

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby htleung88 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:07 pm

Rockdale is a middle class area, some people don't like it but I've never had any issues with the area, so you should be fine (touch wood).

You might be looking at the wrong places for hotels though - on wotif, the Formule 1 hotels at both St Peters and Airport seems to be about $100 a night, give or take $10, and Blakehurst Motor Inn (not too far from Brighton, same distance as St Peters) is about $80 or 100?
htleung88

Postby markusm » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:48 pm

You should look for a motel in Cronulla, its not that far from Rockdale, and would make for a nice commute!
markusm

Postby cp123 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:31 am

Thanks guys - you're all super. And thanks Wombat for that map - if i stay there that'll be brilliant. I really appreciate the advice. :D Might have to look further afield. Someone put me onto just pub style hotels too. Something like "grand central hotel?" and another pub one. Still need to do my research and let my fingers do some walking. Riding along a beach.. noice! :D
cp123

Postby CommuRider » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:35 am

Quality of pub beds is worse than tenting/camping. Lots of bed bugs in Sydney....I'd rate YHAs a step above pub accommodation. You could just stay at the Central YHA and take a train down to Rockdale and bus to where the conference is.
CommuRider

Postby cp123 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:40 am

don't you have to be young to stay in youth hostels? Aren't they for say under 35 yo's?
cp123

Postby CommuRider » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:49 am

Not really. As a backpacker I went to YHAs worlwide and there were oldies who stayed there. I remember staying at a place in Scotland where there was a group of Dutch backpackers with bikes. It would be age discrimination I should think. You do get a discount if you have a YHA card so you'll probably pay extra if you don't get the card.

http://www.yha.com.au/hostels/nsw/sydne ... rs-hostel/

It's 5 star and from all accounts it has a good rep. They have 3 in Sydney - two at Central, and another that overlooks the Bridge and the Opera House. Pretty snazzy. Friends stayed at a Blue Mtns YHA several years back and they enjoyed it.
CommuRider

Postby maDKient » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:05 am

Your employer is pretty scint making you guys go to a work conference without any sort of allowance. And I don't think I'm spoilt myself since I work in research! As for my wife who's in finance....

Anyway, I second the idea at staying in Formula 1 airport. It's a short commute so not much trouble, a taxi will set you back $30 both ways. And btw, Rockdale is harmless. Just make sure you're not a member of a (motorcyle) bikie gang.

I'm kind of surprised about the member's comments towards the caravan parks. Are these comments based on actual experience or stereotypes :D :D ??!!
maDKient

Postby El T » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:24 pm

Well, Rockdale is like any other city where bad things happen time to time. Saturday night a 17 year old was shot in the face just across the street from where I live, while I was told that it is one of the better neighbourhoods. Other than that though, we never experienced any trouble, not even late at night or whatsoever. It's pretty calm here...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy.
Last edited by El T on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El T

Postby wombatK » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:56 pm

It's okay cp123. I rode through there today absolutely without incident, other than
taking on board too many calories when I succumbed to the temptation of a
chocolate log and coffee at Nick's Cake Shop on the corner of Bay & Trafalgar St.

Can highly recommend it if you get sick of the food at the hotel :)
WombatK

wombatK

Postby cp123 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:01 pm

Thanks guys - I was looking forward to "riding on the beach at dawn" kind of situation. Trouble is, in the last week my car has been classified of dubious soundness. arrrrrrgh! :roll:

I had my car in the the garage last week and unfortunately heard the news that its on its last legs (well, what do you expect when its 20 years old, worked hard all its life towing a horse all round the countryside, and commuted to melbourne weekly and fortnightly for 2 1/2 years...). :lol: Anyway, the bottom line is they recommended against taking the risk on anything more than tootling around town cos it will go completely, but they can't predict whether its days, or weeks, or even a month or two. My plan was to drive my car in the pay parking place, ride to the conference and drive home on Sunday night. If i risk driving home in the wee small hours I could end up conking out say somewhere near belangalo state forest....

I have looked into the Murray's busses and they are are a couple going to Sydney on Friday morning. The difficulty is taking my bike though - as it needs to be dismantled and packed in a box. I can manage that on the way up no worries but was wondering whether its feasible to ride off with a monster sized backpack on, and a cardboard box under one arm to pack it in for the return journey. If i go on the murrays bus, with no bike, I will need to pay for 6 taxi rides to and from the place (hence me wanting to take my bike to do it on the cheap). I simply can't afford that as it'll be another $100 plus dollars. So I went looking on saturday morning to get a rough price of a decent newer car to work out a loan etc. Have put the feelers out to a couple of others, but there's not many of us from round here that will be going.

arrrgh - i was looking forward to riding Wombat's route. :oops:

:D
cp123

Postby CommuRider » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:07 pm

Get a folder
CommuRider

Postby cp123 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:02 pm

I can't afford to repair or buy a new car this week - no chance buying a new bike - unfortunately... :)
cp123

Postby CommuRider » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:17 pm

Sell the car...get a Brompton :-P
CommuRider

Postby sogood » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:22 pm

What's your budget again? Anyway, try LastMinute and see what you find. The link below is for a budget of $50 and you can search with other limits.

http://www.lastminute.com.au/accommodat ... &budget=50

Good luck!
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby cp123 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:35 am

thanks so Good - i splurged on the Formula 1 hotel at the airport. Just gotta get me and my pushy there yet. :D I will do it.
cp123

Postby wombatK » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:52 pm

cp123 wrote:thanks so Good - i splurged on the Formula 1 hotel at the airport. Just gotta get me and my pushy there yet. :D I will do it.

If you can't resolve your car worries - greyhound buses might be an option. See this thread
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=29410
WombatK

wombatK

Postby cp123 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:02 pm

hey wombat - I have your bikelink map printed out page by page in colour ready to go. I'll let you know how i get on. thank you so much guys... :D :D
cp123

Return to New South Wales