Magpie Season 2011 New South Wales

TimW

Magpie Season 2011 New South Wales

Postby TimW » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:15 pm

My old nemesis from last year has returned to the trees near Windsor Road Bunnings.7 Strikes to the back and he followed me nearly to super cheap auto, for those who know the area.Just when you think your past him, he gets you :roll: Scared the living poop outta me this morning.Tim

Old and Rusty

Re: Magpie Season 2011 New South Wales

Postby Old and Rusty » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:57 pm

Airds Rd Leumeah between the roundabout at Rose Payten Drv and Grange Rd there's an early nester, swooped a few times and made a racket but no pecks on the helmet.
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:00 pm

TimW wrote:My old nemesis from last year has returned to the trees near Windsor Road Bunnings.7 Strikes to the back and he followed me nearly to super cheap auto, for those who know the area.Just when you think your past him, he gets you :roll: Scared the living poop outta me this morning.Tim
I'd planned a ride that way this weekend (Richmond to Riverstone following the train line, back to Windsor on Windsor Rd, then lowlands back to Richmond)... maybe I'll take a different route.

My arch nemesis has been up to old tricks for a few weeks now (Kurmond Rd near Terrace Rd intersection, Freemans Reach). As detailed elsewhere, this bird is vicious, persistent, and smart (although not smart enough to realise swooping me doesn't get rid of me).

There's nothing that sends a chill down my spine like hearing the call of a magpie on a Spring/Summer day while riding.

fringe_dweller

Postby fringe_dweller » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:35 am

My wife got swooped by the little guy near Bunnings last weekend. He's not too foul if you can get a bit of speed up, but don't ride down the bike path!

Grant

TimW

Postby TimW » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:19 pm

Kraeg wrote:
TimW wrote:My old nemesis from last year has returned to the trees near Windsor Road Bunnings.7 Strikes to the back and he followed me nearly to super cheap auto, for those who know the area.Just when you think your past him, he gets you :roll: Scared the living poop outta me this morning.Tim
I'd planned a ride that way this weekend (Richmond to Riverstone following the train line, back to Windsor on Windsor Rd, then lowlands back to Richmond)... maybe I'll take a different route.

My arch nemesis has been up to old tricks for a few weeks now (Kurmond Rd near Terrace Rd intersection, Freemans Reach). As detailed elsewhere, this bird is vicious, persistent, and smart (although not smart enough to realise swooping me doesn't get rid of me).

There's nothing that sends a chill down my spine like hearing the call of a magpie on a Spring/Summer day while riding.

If you take the detour across the bridge via the turnoff before bunnings you will miss this dastardly little devil :D

100 metres north of the Great Western Highway in a big gum tree there is another maggie on the M7 cycleway, got me this morning :roll: :roll:

ruscook

Re: Re: Magpie Season 2011 New South Wales

Postby ruscook » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:08 pm

TimW wrote:
Kraeg wrote:

If you take the detour across the bridge via the turnoff before bunnings you will miss this dastardly little devil :D

100 metres north of the Great Western Highway in a big gum tree there is another maggie on the M7 cycleway, got me this morning :roll: :roll:
what time Tim? I went through just before 8am and he wasn't there. He and has partner double teamed last year and were particularly annoying and dangerours;

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

TimW

Postby TimW » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:14 pm

Left my joint about 10.30am , would have been 10.30 to 1045am i reckon mate, he is not as agro as the Windsor Road one :D

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:54 am

First swoop of the season for me this morning. Another old nemesis on Ryrie St, North Ryde. This was heading downhill now that this road is used for both commutes at the moment. First I knew of it was a biff to the side of my head below the helmet. Fortunately a headbutt only with no beak or talons.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:11 am

Boognoss wrote:First swoop of the season for me this morning. Another old nemesis on Ryrie St, North Ryde. This was heading downhill now that this road is used for both commutes at the moment. First I knew of it was a biff to the side of my head below the helmet. Fortunately a headbutt only with no beak or talons.
Yep, I got nipped this morning by the same one, between Morshead Rd & Epping Rd. Just a tap on the top of the helmet thankfully.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:27 am

queequeg wrote:
Boognoss wrote:First swoop of the season for me this morning. Another old nemesis on Ryrie St, North Ryde. This was heading downhill now that this road is used for both commutes at the moment. First I knew of it was a biff to the side of my head below the helmet. Fortunately a headbutt only with no beak or talons.
Yep, I got nipped this morning by the same one, between Morshead Rd & Epping Rd. Just a tap on the top of the helmet thankfully.
That maggie is going to get very fit or very tired this season and next with two peak hour swoop-fests thanks to the lack of M2 ;).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:43 am

No swoops yet but they're hanging around SOP waiting...waiting...waiting. Bet the eggs haven't hatched yet.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

westab

Postby westab » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:37 pm

Got swooped for the first time this morning - Mrs Westab was working so she drops the kids to school and then drives to work (another school). I meet them there and wait with the kids till the teachers start playground duty.

My kids knew the magpie in the back oval is now swooping - wasn't yesterday morning but was in the afternoon. And he hates bikes; they told me to go ahead up the path and he swooped me about six times as they walked across the grass laughing all the way. When I reached the buildings he sat and watched from a tree till I was out of sight then returned to swoop others coming in the back gate to cross the oval.

Why do they hate bikes so much?
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:41 pm

They don't. When I was 9, I was forever traumatised by magpie swoops walking home from school :cry:
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

htleung88

Postby htleung88 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:14 pm

Just left the house and riding towards the first major lights when I felt a peck on the helmet. Looked up and saw a magpie hovering 5m above me waiting to swoop again. Promptly lost concentration and slammed into the kerb head on, busting a tube in the process.

And that's my welcome to magpie season 2011 (been a long time since a magpie attacked me). After I went home and fixed the tube, the magpie was waiting for me when I rode past there again, but this time a wave of the hand and a bit of acceleration left him behind.

Would a black/white helmet attract magpies more or does that not matter?

westab

Postby westab » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:34 am

It doesn't seem to matter what ever you do - My workmate does the big long cable tie thing and they go him.

I have seen another with the cable ties and evil eyes looking back same result. The only answer seems to be go at mach 1.2 or above or they will get you sooner or later.

Commurider - I hear you I have three kids and a wife that are in the same boat they are now taking umbrellas and using them every day - especially on non rainy days. The kids also borrow safety glasses from the shed as they are worried about getting their eyes hit. :(
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

A_P

Postby A_P » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:37 pm

Had my first magpie swoop of the season yesterday, and without option to avoid this one i made a bold brave decision.
Removed my helmet and exposed my bald noggin....
result, mr magpie just flew away, no interest whatsoever!!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:01 pm

Some advice from Victorian public servants

http://media.smh.com.au/news/national-n ... 99017.html

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:38 pm

Maggie wanted to mess with me, diving like crazy... these two birds were attacking me at the top of my DRIVEWAY. I'm going to have to just ignore them despite their intensity, because the alternative is killing them!

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:46 pm

2 Attacks on the same day.

1 near spit bridge going down to Mosman, other near the top of Belrose heading towards Terrey hills. I just let the damn things swoop me, but damn the bird that was going me at Belrose was huge. I am going to start riding my a sling shot :)
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:38 pm

Which streets/intersections?

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:00 pm

If they're that close to home try feeding them some dog food or may scraps. I've been told this changes their behavior totally.Just a bit hard to do with ones to encounter on a :-)
Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:07 pm

an alternative a mate has tried and swears works is to chase 'em back if they chase you. You need ot do it for about a week and then they leave you alone. Then they just bother everybody else :lol:

You may need to top up every few weeks though :wink:

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:39 pm

I find this works. Never bother me again after one use.

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:27 pm

4 swoops along pacific highway just after Berowra. Just ignored it and ode on, but the first one got me by surprise :(

Jon

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:10 pm

Are all you blokes in the Moving Target Award yet? The prize had been boosted to a pair of dolls eyes as well as the six cable ties for their helmet. :mrgreen:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011