Magpie Season 2011 New South Wales

htleung88

Re: Magpie Season 2011 New South Wales

Postby htleung88 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:50 pm

I hate magpies (and crows).

Was riding on the M5 on the weekend at about 40km/h; got chased by a magpie & a crow so lost a bit of concentration, hit something (I think a rock) at the same time and I went over the handlebar – landed on my butt/head (not sure which was first!), then my shoulder.

The Met Estro held up well considering the speed of the impact – picture here http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/ ... AG0340.jpg and it was still on my head after the crash – and I've been really happy with the ventilation and look as well, so I'll be buying another one for sure.

Rather scary when I look back at it. Just happy I didn't sustain more damage than a sore head, various cuts and a destroyed helmet/back wheel – pretty thankful to the helmet and that I didn't skimp on the helmet at the beginning! Will stay off the bike for a fortnight and go from there.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:35 pm

htleung88 wrote:I hate magpies (and crows).

Was riding on the M5 on the weekend at about 40km/h; got chased by a magpie & a crow so lost a bit of concentration, hit something (I think a rock) at the same time and I went over the handlebar – landed on my butt/head (not sure which was first!), then my shoulder.
Pretty nasty outcome ht - that helmet looks pretty destroyed, but better that than your cranium :)

Good to hear there's no broken bones - maybe you'll be back on your bike sooner than you think.

Curious to know whereabouts on the M5. Was it around the M5/M7 intersection at Casula/Prestons ?
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

HillBilly

Postby HillBilly » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:07 am

Got wacked a few times by the magpie in Essex Street Epping between the roundabout and Epping Road this morning. Very persistent and tenacious! A bystander was having a good laugh at my expense!

Hillbilly

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:10 am

HillBilly wrote:Got wacked a few times by the magpie in Essex Street Epping between the roundabout and Epping Road this morning. Very persistent and tenacious! A bystander was having a good laugh at my expense!

Hillbilly
Oh no, I haven't seen this one (yet) this year. Hope it doesn't hang around, it was a persistent one last year.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

rogan

Postby rogan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:03 pm

Still no problems on Ryrie St, AM or PM. No problems at all at Essex St.

But a new sighting, alongside the golf course at Asquith (after doing Bobbin Head, if you turn left along the golf course rather than go right to use the Pac Hwy back to Hornsby - this one is there).

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:11 pm

rogan wrote:Still no problems on Ryrie St, AM or PM. No problems at all at Essex St.

But a new sighting, alongside the golf course at Asquith (after doing Bobbin Head, if you turn left along the golf course rather than go right to use the Pac Hwy back to Hornsby - this one is there).
Hmmm well one AM biff to the side of my head (no blood drawn, etc) once was enough to make me alter my route in North Ryde until November ;). Both ways.

My wife was swooped on foot the other day with our toddler. They seem to be a bit random these days.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:02 am

Boognoss wrote:
rogan wrote:Still no problems on Ryrie St, AM or PM. No problems at all at Essex St.

Hmmm well one AM biff to the side of my head (no blood drawn, etc) once was enough to make me alter my route in North Ryde until November ;). Both ways.

My wife was swooped on foot the other day with our toddler. They seem to be a bit random these days.
Likewise, biff to side of the head with blood drawn, and another attack to my sunglasses. Changed my route, no more problems! Will probably stick to the new route permanently.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:35 am

Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:44 am

Boognoss wrote:
HillBilly wrote:Got wacked a few times by the magpie in Essex Street Epping between the roundabout and Epping Road this morning. Very persistent and tenacious! A bystander was having a good laugh at my expense!

Hillbilly
Oh no, I haven't seen this one (yet) this year. Hope it doesn't hang around, it was a persistent one last year.
Haven't seen one in Essex St yet, but coming home on Friday afternoon I got swooped on Pembroke Rd, Marsfield, halfway down the hill to where the SUP starts (just outside CSIRO). He wasn't there in the morning, so I hope it was just passing through and not setting up residence. This is one street that I can't avoid!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:56 pm

queequeg wrote:
Boognoss wrote:

Hillbilly
Haven't seen one in Essex St yet, but coming home on Friday afternoon I got swooped on Pembroke Rd, Marsfield, halfway down the hill to where the SUP starts (just outside CSIRO). He wasn't there in the morning, so I hope it was just passing through and not setting up residence. This is one street that I can't avoid!
Oh no a new one!! Never seen that one before but about half the time I head in to work via Epping Rd missing that section (just from Pembroke to Vimeira). Always head home on Pembroke though........

Cheers, Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:22 am

Boognoss wrote:
queequeg wrote:
Oh no a new one!! Never seen that one before but about half the time I head in to work via Epping Rd missing that section (just from Pembroke to Vimeira). Always head home on Pembroke though........

Cheers, Simon

After cycling up to Beecroft Station then along Sutherland Rd, and finally climbing up to Essex St, I use Pembroke Rd as an easy recovery climb. I have only done Epping Rd early in the morning (I rode Epping Rd all the way to Pittwater Rd).
I am hoping that I don't encounter this one again, though he seems fairly harmless so far.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:40 am

queequeg wrote:
After cycling up to Beecroft Station then along Sutherland Rd, and finally climbing up to Essex St, I use Pembroke Rd as an easy recovery climb. I have only done Epping Rd early in the morning (I rode Epping Rd all the way to Pittwater Rd).
I am hoping that I don't encounter this one again, though he seems fairly harmless so far.
Nice to meet another forumite yesterday ;).

I didn't suggest you go ahead to bait the "new" maggie on Pembroke St, I genuinely suck at climbing at the moment :D. That said both yesterday (both ways) and this morning I haven't seen any maggies at all (or since my last run in with the Ryrie maggie. I know I've jinxed myself but it's for the greater good.

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:57 am

do indian minors count?

got whacked my one yesterday in westleigh.. smack bang on the side of the head and my sunglasses. scared the ***** out of me!
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

htleung88

Postby htleung88 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:10 am

wombatK wrote: Curious to know whereabouts on the M5. Was it around the M5/M7 intersection at Casula/Prestons ?
Thanks for the kind words, it was way before that - around UWS Bankstown campus (i.e. before reaching Henry Lawson Drive if I'm heading out west).

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:13 am

Boognoss wrote:
queequeg wrote:
Nice to meet another forumite yesterday ;).

I didn't suggest you go ahead to bait the "new" maggie on Pembroke St, I genuinely suck at climbing at the moment :D. That said both yesterday (both ways) and this morning I haven't seen any maggies at all (or since my last run in with the Ryrie maggie. I know I've jinxed myself but it's for the greater good.
I have not been attacked again in Pembroke Rd, but did see one maggie sitting up on the wires looking at me (like a tasty morsel?), and another on the footpath digging for worms.

Saw you again tonight on the way home. That is some air horn you have on the bike - scared the crap out of me, and I was behind you! Anyway, I saw you turn down Pittwater Rd. I went up Blenheim Rd and then around behind the shops (down Cutler Pde & Chauvel St). I think the way I went must be quicker, because there was no sight of you on Cox's Rd. My legs were feeling a bit weary this afternoon, so I was saving most of energy for Sutherland Rd and Cardinal Ave, then I just have the final dash down New Line Rd. I sometimes hope for a traffic jam so that I get an easy pace up the hill, but i got the usual empty road, so that means hammering it so that motorists don't think I am just plodding along for a leisurely afternoon cruise.
I get the new commuter bike tomorrow. Hopefully that will make the commute a little less tough on the legs on those climbs.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:33 am

queequeg wrote:
I have not been attacked again in Pembroke Rd, but did see one maggie sitting up on the wires looking at me (like a tasty morsel?), and another on the footpath digging for worms.

Saw you again tonight on the way home. That is some air horn you have on the bike - scared the crap out of me, and I was behind you! Anyway, I saw you turn down Pittwater Rd. I went up Blenheim Rd and then around behind the shops (down Cutler Pde & Chauvel St). I think the way I went must be quicker, because there was no sight of you on Cox's Rd. My legs were feeling a bit weary this afternoon, so I was saving most of energy for Sutherland Rd and Cardinal Ave, then I just have the final dash down New Line Rd. I sometimes hope for a traffic jam so that I get an easy pace up the hill, but i got the usual empty road, so that means hammering it so that motorists don't think I am just plodding along for a leisurely afternoon cruise.
I get the new commuter bike tomorrow. Hopefully that will make the commute a little less tough on the legs on those climbs.
Two reasons you left me for dead, I had very tired legs from four days in a row plus I was riding with a mate that didn't get the gap I got at Pittwater Rd so I pulled up further down to wait for him.

No sign of any maggies for me all week though :-).

Cheers, Simon

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:44 pm

Boognoss wrote:
Two reasons you left me for dead, I had very tired legs from four days in a row plus I was riding with a mate that didn't get the gap I got at Pittwater Rd so I pulled up further down to wait for him.

No sign of any maggies for me all week though :-).
I know the feeling about the legs. I am slowly getting used to the new commute but I have only done a full week of commutes a few times. Friday is the worst because of the fatigue and also because I carry twice the clothes on Friday's.
I picked up the new bike today, so hopefully the more favourable gearing means I don't have to grind up those nasty hills!

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:12 pm

Magpies... I despise them :evil:

Last Tuesday I saw one flying an intercept course to my right so I thought "game on, HTFU". I jumped out of my saddle and sprinted as fast as I can to outrun it... The result?

- Acute inflammation of L4/5 disc
- Three days off work so far
- Had my second chiro session today and a few more to come
- Chiro's order, at least two weeks off bike once healed

And this was the week I started my ride to work program (70km a day, 5 days a week) :cry:
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:26 pm

NhiTrac wrote:And this was the week I started my ride to work program (70km a day, 5 days a week) :cry:
There's your answer, I suspect. That's a lot to bite off in one go, 350km a week.

Most of the training schedules I've read recommend increasing total training volume (intensity x distance) no more than 10% a week, in order to avoid injury. My experiecne supports that rule :oops:

At least at the start of your program, you need allow some time between rides for recovery.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:08 pm

trailgumby wrote:
NhiTrac wrote:And this was the week I started my ride to work program (70km a day, 5 days a week) :cry:
There's your answer, I suspect. That's a lot to bite off in one go, 350km a week.
I wouldn't argue except this happened on my very first ride :oops: Havent even done enough to need a recovery.The plan was to do a morning 35km ride followed by another in the evening, five times a week though I would skip a day to recover whenever I felt the need to.

During winter this year, I've been on the trainer on most nights and would do a two to three hour ride on the weekend. Hence why I'm jumping straight into my 5 days a week thing now... I personally thought it was enough but who knows.

Anyhow I forgot to mention I that pulled my back when I was a kid due to lifting a box out of the car arms extended and have had back issues on/off since :cry:

Anyways about this magpie, it's nesting area is right next to a bridge that i NEED to cross. Guess I'll just get used to it and let it peck away rather than risk straining my back again...
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

peterlett

Postby peterlett » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:26 pm

G'day
First time poster here.

thought I'd share this with you- seems there's an answer to magpie attacks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wHreVKgOT4

btw- I usually keep my head down near on my bars and despite the swoops, contact is minimal.
Personally, maggies are one of my favorite birds esp, with their attitood.

htleung88

Postby htleung88 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 am

Are we at the time where magpie attacks are calming down yet? I thought they gradually halt as November arrives and breeding season stops.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:00 pm

htleung88 wrote:Are we at the time where magpie attacks are calming down yet? I thought they gradually halt as November arrives and breeding season stops.
NThey are still swooping near me (Sydney, Northern Beaches)
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:50 pm

Hillbilly
He's still there.. got a clack by the side of the head this evening.

He's a late bloomer.. the young magpie in our yard left the nest weeks ago.

Vipul

Postby Vipul » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:13 am

Yep, magpie near the roundabout of Essex and Pembroke street.
There's also one at the beginning of Essex street where Brigg Rd meets.