Rider Down: Commanara Parkway, Wahrongh

Rider Down: Commanara Parkway, Wahrongh

Postby silkishuge » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:51 am

Hi,
My spelling of street names is is pretty bad so apologies if I spelt the names incorrectly.

My boss just came in and told me he spotted a rider at the side of the road covered with a blanket (not covering head). Not moving, police in attendance. Abulance probably on route. Hope he is not too hurt but the way my boss described it, it sounded bad.
I usually don't recommend people using that road. Its dangerous and peak hour traffic on the road starts early. really fast descents and it was raining this morning.

1. Pick your roads carefully
2. wet roads = slippery roads
3. ride sensibly Safety first

Jon
Jon's bikes.......
Reynolds 953 (warranty replacement, 7 months and waiting)
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5
silkishuge

by BNA » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:14 pm

BNA

Re: Rider Down: Commanara Parkway, Wahrongh

Postby rogan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:14 pm

Hope the rider is OK - it sounds nasty. :(

A work colleague of mine was hit there a few weeks ago - NB he was on a motorbike. Injuries minor, moto written off. Damage to smokebox, but that's another story...

Cars were stopped, he was moving up the left hand side of the stopped cars. The driver turned right across him into a side street between the gap in stopped cars, and didn't see him.
rogan

Postby silkishuge » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:25 pm

rogan wrote:Hope the rider is OK - it sounds nasty. :(

A work colleague of mine was hit there a few weeks ago - NB he was on a motorbike. Injuries minor, moto written off. Damage to smokebox, but that's another story...

Cars were stopped, he was moving up the left hand side of the stopped cars. The driver turned right across him into a side street between the gap in stopped cars, and didn't see him.

Typical collision scenario for bikes. Problem with that road is cars travel too fast on the road. Much faster than speed limit alows. I can see why home owners are having such a difficult time selling their property on along that road.

Jon
Jon's bikes.......
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5
silkishuge

Postby srl » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:40 pm

Ugh. Just last night a dude was riding his bike towards Thornleigh on Comenarra Pkwy, Would have been around 6:30 pm, lots of cars, dark and a narrow shoulder. First time I've seen a bike at that time. I remember thinking the guy was nuts to ride that road. Really hope he wasn't the victim, and dearly hope victim is okay. That road is no place for a bicycle.
srl

Postby sogood » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:43 pm

Add:
Wet road and rainy days will also impair car drivers' visual, making it even more dangerous for small targets like bicycles.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby rogan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:40 am

srl wrote:Ugh. Just last night a dude was riding his bike towards Thornleigh on Comenarra Pkwy, Would have been around 6:30 pm, lots of cars, dark and a narrow shoulder. First time I've seen a bike at that time. I remember thinking the guy was nuts to ride that road. Really hope he wasn't the victim, and dearly hope victim is okay. That road is no place for a bicycle.

I ride that bit of road regularly, usually on Sunday mornings between Pennant Hills Rd and Fox Valley Rd. Since they shut the M2, there is no other way to get from West Pennant Hills to Turramurra, a route I often take. Past Fox Valley is awful, although more due to the inclines than the road/traffic. But the section I ride? It's no worse than many other roads I willingly ride on.
rogan

Postby silkishuge » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:13 am

rogan wrote:
srl wrote:Ugh. Just last night a dude was riding his bike towards Thornleigh on Comenarra Pkwy, Would have been around 6:30 pm, lots of cars, dark and a narrow shoulder. First time I've seen a bike at that time. I remember thinking the guy was nuts to ride that road. Really hope he wasn't the victim, and dearly hope victim is okay. That road is no place for a bicycle.

I ride that bit of road regularly, usually on Sunday mornings between Pennant Hills Rd and Fox Valley Rd. Since they shut the M2, there is no other way to get from West Pennant Hills to Turramurra, a route I often take. Past Fox Valley is awful, although more due to the inclines than the road/traffic. But the section I ride? It's no worse than many other roads I willingly ride on.

+1. Raod after fox valley is dangerous. Even for cars. Witnessed a car spin out on a one of the bends on a wet day but regained control before crossing the line. Scary.......

Jon
Jon's bikes.......
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5
silkishuge

Postby srl » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:55 pm

Hey Rogan, do you take Fox Valley up to Pacific Hwy? I agree that couple km from Penno to F V Rd is okay. I ride a circuitous route from Thornleigh to North Ryde, which takes me up to Waitara, then along Alexander Pde to Wahroonga and Turramurra, then down Kissing Pt Rd to Browns Waterhole. I'd LOVE to find a more direct (and safe) route.
srl

Postby queequeg » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:52 am

srl wrote:Hey Rogan, do you take Fox Valley up to Pacific Hwy? I agree that couple km from Penno to F V Rd is okay. I ride a circuitous route from Thornleigh to North Ryde, which takes me up to Waitara, then along Alexander Pde to Wahroonga and Turramurra, then down Kissing Pt Rd to Browns Waterhole. I'd LOVE to find a more direct (and safe) route.

What time are you leaving in the morning? I am now riding from Dural/Cherrybrook (New Line Rd) and making my way over to Beecroft Rd (via Pennant Hills Rd & Copeland Rd). I find that in the morning, Beecroft Rd is fine for cycling. It's all downhill and I am generally going between 40 and 60km/h. I am doing the trip to Nth Ryde in about 30 minutes, though I am only passing through on my way to North Sydney.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby rogan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:24 am

srl wrote:Hey Rogan, do you take Fox Valley up to Pacific Hwy? I agree that couple km from Penno to F V Rd is okay. I ride a circuitous route from Thornleigh to North Ryde, which takes me up to Waitara, then along Alexander Pde to Wahroonga and Turramurra, then down Kissing Pt Rd to Browns Waterhole. I'd LOVE to find a more direct (and safe) route.

Yes, PH Rd, Comenara Parkway to FV Rd, then up to the Pac Hwy. But as I said, only on Sunday mornings.

For commuting on weekday mornings, PH Rd for any length of time is unpleasant and risky; Pac Hwy is a bit better, but not for everyone. If I lived at Thornleigh and had to get to Nth Ryde, I would use The Esplanade and Yarrara Rd, go round the back of PH (Stevens and Rosemount) and go right onto PH Rd for a short distance at Trebor Rd, then down Beecroft Rd as per queequeg. That has to be faster than the route you are taking.
rogan

Return to New South Wales