Northern Sydney Cycling Club

Northern Sydney Cycling Club

Postby silkishuge » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:24 am

Hi,
I was wondering if there are any members of the Northern Sydney Cycling club on this forum.
I would like to participate in some of the daily rides and I was wondering if I had to be a member of NSCC to do so. I don't race and will probably never race so I don't need a license for racing.

Thanks for any information you can give.

Cheers,
Jon
Jon's bikes.......
Reynolds 953 (warranty replacement, 7 months and waiting)
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5
silkishuge

by BNA » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:24 pm

BNA

Re: Northern Sydney Cycling Club

Postby ft_critical » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:24 pm

Member.
You can turn up to El Pres on Sat morning 0610/15 at Pearces Corner, or meet the ride as it rolls through Hornsby. Don't need to be a member. Dawnie is popular with NSCC riders, again, just turn up.

But a reasonable expectation is that you join the club as a casual if you continue to ride:

Recreational - entry level to the sport
Non-competitive membership;
- Participation: recreational, social and charity rides, club training and coffee-shop rides
- Volunteers: officals, coaches, administrators and supporters

I don't know the costs of this or if third party is included. Send the club an email.

Very friendly club.
ft_critical

Postby philip » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:46 pm

What ft said, I'm also a member. Why don't you want to race? It's bucket loads of fun.
philip

Postby silkishuge » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Thanks for the information ft. I think I will join but as a social rider only.

philip wrote:What ft said, I'm also a member. Why don't you want to race? It's bucket loads of fun.

Racing is fun, but I don't think I have the time for it. I would join the NSCC only because they have morning rides that I could do before work and some would be on route to work. I can't afford the time. As much as I like to ride a bike and race, I have some fairly time consuming responsibilities for the family, which inclde looking after the vegetable garden, transplanting, planting, replanting and believe me, it is a fair bit of work. I also have to bake the bread for the week, which is 3 to 4 loave. Besides, Mrs S does not want me to race. She knows how competitive I can get.

I will sign up tomorrow. :D

Jon
Jon's bikes.......
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5
silkishuge

Postby ft_critical » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:33 am

Not trying to convince you one way or the other on racing, but a perspective from me…

Working wife, two primary age children, 10hr plus per day job, shared chores. I get one ride per weekend and agree to be home by 10am, and finished by 11am (showered, eaten, not thinking about bicycles.) Racing at Beaumont Rd is 0745 kick off, race an hour, hang around for 10min for presentations, and ride straight home. You would be home by 0930 easy. Race once a month or twice a month that should be doable from a commitment perspective. To spice it up, 0715 start to the West Head race, again that should see you home by 1000.
The wife not wanting you to race is a different story. Mine hates cycling and everything about it. But if it is the safety thing, then this is a serious concern. I have had two racing crashes. It is a real potentiality. But I think the chance and consequence is less than that associated with your heavy commute schedule.

Look forward to seeing you in the bunch. I will keep and eye out for someone on a Cervelo. Club kit; second order is due in late Sep available at Hornsby Cycles.
ft_critical

Postby silkishuge » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:51 am

ft_critical wrote:Not trying to convince you one way or the other on racing, but a perspective from me…

Working wife, two primary age children, 10hr plus per day job, shared chores. I get one ride per weekend and agree to be home by 10am, and finished by 11am (showered, eaten, not thinking about bicycles.) Racing at Beaumont Rd is 0745 kick off, race an hour, hang around for 10min for presentations, and ride straight home. You would be home by 0930 easy. Race once a month or twice a month that should be doable from a commitment perspective. To spice it up, 0715 start to the West Head race, again that should see you home by 1000.
The wife not wanting you to race is a different story. Mine hates cycling and everything about it. But if it is the safety thing, then this is a serious concern. I have had two racing crashes. It is a real potentiality. But I think the chance and consequence is less than that associated with your heavy commute schedule.

Look forward to seeing you in the bunch. I will keep and eye out for someone on a Cervelo. Club kit; second order is due in late Sep available at Hornsby Cycles.

Thanks ft. You are right about the safety concern of Mrs S. I have been in hospital twice in the last two years and for a week the last one and I had 4 weeks off work. It was fine because I had work cover which paid for everything including time off work. I can see her point of view in this because as the main bread winner of the family, I would be putting them all in a difficult position if anything did happen. I know that stacks are not likely to happen, but that is not in her mind. Her thinking is if it can happen, why risk it. Well, she does not have to know about it. She doesn't usually ask anyway so I might sneek in a race or two a month.

My Cervelo is easy to spot. Its an old R3, seldom seen on the road anymore. Red and black one. although its old, but its never missed a beat. :D

Cheers,
Jon
Jon's bikes.......
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5
silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:09 am

Just signed up with Cycling Australia and NSCC. Works out to be ~ $10 a month so if I can sneak two races a month, that would mean $5/ race which is a pretty good deal. I think I will try getting used to group riding again before I take part in any race.

Jon
Jon's bikes.......
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5
silkishuge

Postby HillBilly » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:53 pm

I'm a member of NSCC too, so welcome.

The cost of membership doesn't include race fees so you will still need to pay a fee to enter races, but the club race fees (such as the Beauie Crit) are pretty nominal - $10. The fee largely funds the prize pool kitty so if you're good, you can make a profit by racing!

Be sure to have a good read about bunch riding etiquette before you head out with the club on a group ride. It can be found at this link -

http://northernsydneycyclingclub.org.au/node/30943

And a PDF here

http://all.global-riders.net/files/NSCC ... quette.pdf

Cheers

HillBilly
Last edited by HillBilly on Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HillBilly

Postby philip » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:02 pm

silkishuge wrote:that would mean $5/ race which is a pretty good deal.

Remember to add the $10 race entry fee :) I often ride el presidente on weekends when there's no racing and occasionally do dawnie. Let us know when you're going to be out so I can say g'day.
philip

Postby silkishuge » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:56 pm

HillBilly wrote:I'm a member of NSCC too, so welcome.

The cost of membership doesn't include race fees so you will still need to pay a fee to enter races, but the club race fees (such as the Beauie Crit) are pretty nominal - $10. The fee largely funds the prize pool kitty so if you're good, you can make a profit by racing!

Be sure to have a good read about bunch riding etiquette before you head out with the club on a group ride. It can be found at this link -

http://northernsydneycyclingclub.org.au/node/30943

And a PDF here

http://all.global-riders.net/files/NSCC ... quette.pdf

Cheers

HillBilly

Thanks for the links Hillbilly. I used to ride frequently in gourps, I am sure it will soon become second nature again.

Philip, what races are there on Saturday morning? Sunday racing is definitely out for me. What is th dawnie? el presidente might be a good for a weekend ride for me too. I might try the el presidente this weekend. Which direction of Akuna bay does the ride go?

Jon
Jon's bikes.......
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5
silkishuge

Postby philip » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:09 pm

silkishuge wrote:Philip, what races are there on Saturday morning? Sunday racing is definitely out for me. What is th dawnie? el presidente might be a good for a weekend ride for me too. I might try the el presidente this weekend. Which direction of Akuna bay does the ride go?

I'm don't think there are any local options for Saturday morning races unfortunately, though there's a couple of Saturday arvo races about (LACC/Heffron). Beauie is always Sunday mornings, MWCC do a good road race at West Head once a month (Sunday mornings), they have also started doing a crit at North Head once a month, Sunday mornings also.

"Dawnie" is Dawn Patrol (Wednesday mornings), starts at Roseville, goes up the highway, a number of NSCC riders often jump on at Pearce's corner (where it meets Pennant Hills Rd) then through bobbo, then out to northern beaches, though I normally head home after bobbo. Can be a fairly fast paced ride.

For El Presidente most riders just go to Terry Hills, if you do go through Akuna then it's normally clockwise, on non-race weekends you're more likely to get a few going through Akuna.
philip

Postby Schmenz » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Ooo I didn't know about nscc.

I often see the bikes at pearces corner!

I'll get my avg speed up and look at joining. I've been riding akuna and westhead regularly. What avg speed do you need?

(I only thought there was Turramurra around that area)
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com
Schmenz

Postby ft_critical » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:13 pm

Schmenz wrote:Ooo I didn't know about nscc.

I often see the bikes at pearces corner!

I'll get my avg speed up and look at joining. I've been riding akuna and westhead regularly. What avg speed do you need?

(I only thought there was Turramurra around that area)

http://app.strava.com/rides/1119805 A typical ElPres
ft_critical

Postby Schmenz » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:20 pm

Wow!

Cool circuit! I hadn't thought if adding it all together before and I could ride home!

I'll work on bumping my average up (only been riding about 8 weeks now) and then I'll be there!

Averaging low 20s at the moment. Just got a new garmin so it'll be easier to keep track of.
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com
Schmenz

Postby silkishuge » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:00 am

My first official ride with the NSCC this morning. It was a fun ride with friendly people. We started with only 6 but I think the group swelled to about 10 by the time we got to Turra side of Bobbin heads. All experienced riders which is good to see. Somehow I found myself on the front, but it was fun. I forgot how much more fun it can be to ride in a group.

Jon
Jon's bikes.......
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5
silkishuge

Return to New South Wales