M4 Safety Alert Thread

g-boaf

Re: M4 Safety Alert Thread

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:35 pm

march83 wrote:Westbound: Currently I'm going on the south side of the M4 through Orchard Hills and Glenmore Park then rejoining at Mulgoa Rd. It's adding ~15 minutes. The detour is pretty average - the rolling hills in Orchard Hills from the M4 to Northern Road are slow, there is no shoulder, there is speeding traffic who are mostly rat-running to try to avoid the Northern Rd off ramp traffic jam. I would feel much safer on the M4 shoulder.

Eastbound: I'm getting off the highway at Blaxland and using Mitchell's Pass, Victoria Bridge and then backroads through Penrith towards the hospital. Then Kingswood, around the uni, Caddens Rd and back on the 4. Probably 20 minutes extra there and again it's horrible having to deal with traffic through Penrith, passing lots of parked cars especially around the hospital and I'd rather just be on the M4.

Totally agree - why they can't just budget for a decent cycleway like the M7 has? Providing the GWH as the detour is terrible, added to which they expect cyclists to travel up and down Mamre Rd? Prospect Hwy? Look at the 2 right hand turns necessary to access the GWH from the M4 westbound a Prospect Highway! Ridiculous! And the GWH has no bike lane, few sections with shoulders, lots of light and hills and trucks and other traffic. Disgusting.

FWIW, I have ~15yrs of rolling up and down the M4 for work in my legs and I'm definitely anything but accepting of this sort of stuff!

Yeah, it's BS, isn't it? How hard can it be, there is plenty of room for such a facility.

hairyfoots

Postby hairyfoots » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:32 pm

march83 wrote:Totally agree - why they can't just budget for a decent cycleway like the M7 has? Providing the GWH as the detour is terrible, added to which they expect cyclists to travel up and down Mamre Rd? Prospect Hwy? Look at the 2 right hand turns necessary to access the GWH from the M4 westbound a Prospect Highway! Ridiculous! And the GWH has no bike lane, few sections with shoulders, lots of light and hills and trucks and other traffic. Disgusting.

Well, I believe safety audits and discussions with Bicycle NSW were undertaken before the first set of detours were settled upon. It's possible that the letter I linked to was premature in its details, and that the reason detour maps haven't appeared on that project's website is because their suggested detour has been knocked back for the reasons you say. Really hope it means they put in something better. So we will see.

It's not too late to write to the RMS and the construction company, for anyone that is interested in the issue, whether you currently ride the M4 or not. Here's the RMS email address for the project: m4sm@rms.nsw.gov.au
This is the construction company one: M4SM-Stage1@fultonhogan.com.au . Safety is a hot-button issue with these companies.

While a cycleway would have been a great idea, it would add 10-20% to the project costs (based on the M7 cycleway) and that's a hard sell. The easiest solution they can implement right now is some sort of ramp crossing option as you described earlier, at each affected site, even if it means widening the top of the ramps or something. No doubt there will be times when the ramp is closed completely and a convoluted detour is required, just as it is for cars, but they are generally doing those closures in the middle of the night when no one is riding anyway.

march83 wrote:The fastest option IMO is to just ride the shoulder to the northern road exits, ride up the exit ramp and then cross the northern road at the top directly onto the on ramp. I'm pretty sure this can be done at the moment without forcing you into the motorway lanes.

I suspect there are other locations where the barriers don't actually need to be right up to the fogline. If there is any space, even 1-2m, they could install two sets of barriers, with cyclists riding in between. Modern bolted down steel barriers require very little deflection space.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:07 am

Hergest wrote:
march83 wrote:they're doing landscaping and remediation all through that section at the moment. I don't think it can be too far away.

Wouldn't be too bad if they were making a bit of extra effort after the long delay but nothing is being done on the weekends so it's monday to friday, 7 till 3 with probably a skeleton crew judging by the lack of progress.

Well!
"Spank my butt & call me Charlie!"

Rode through here this morning & the fences are gone & the path is open AT LAST!! :shock:

Only 12months late ...... :roll:

after all it's only for cycling.....

you know they don't pay Rego?? :roll:
http://rvvelonaut.blogspot.com.au/
Speedwell GTS Deluxe
Bates Royal Star
CoolCruza
Rotovelo

march83

Postby march83 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:39 pm

Having the Parramatta viaduct back is nice, a few less streets to have to contend with. New smart motorway project is not so nice...

A few new plastic bollards have appeared at a few of the M4 interchanges. This gave me cause to look up the detour maps and they're appalling: http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/pro ... ur-map.pdf

These detours suggest using the Great Western Highway between Mamre Rd and Prospect Hwy in both directions, a route which has long sections of no shoulder, a few patches of shared use paths, a little bit of shoulder, lots of traffic lights and whole lot of heavy traffic. Definitely not suitable for bikes and not something I'm going to do.

So I guess I'll have to send out some emails to the RMS and construction company, contact the local cycling club and see if they can do anything. In the meantime I'm going to be staying on the M4 - as of yesterday there were some changes to the alignment around the M7 interchange but no changes which actually impact upon cyclists.

Considering how long this project is going to continue, IDK, this is basically going to eliminate the possibility of commuting from the west to Parramatta and beyond for the next 3-5 years. Very disappointing.