Mt Annan Botanic Garden Road Cycling

Postby MREJ » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:53 pm

I am wondering whether anyone knows what Mt Annan Botanic Garden is like for road cycling? I've been there numerous times for picnics but never to ride. It looks like it could be pretty good - two loops, quiet roads, some hills, attractive scenery.

Does anyone have any experience here? Also, their site says the gardens are only open from 10am til 5pm, but "friends of the garden" have access from sunrise to sunset. So is it possible for "non-friends" to get non-vehicular access outside 10 to 5?
2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, 2012 Felt F75, 2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE
MREJ

by BNA » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:05 am

BNA

Re: Mt Annan Botanic Garden Road Cycling

Postby herzog » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:05 am

I wouldn't bother taking a roadie. I think the speed limit is like 15kph, and there cars pootling around quite slowly for sightseeing. It would get pretty monotonous I would think.

Take the MTB, the cross country trail network there is fantastic.
herzog

Postby celeste boy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:50 pm

There's a young lady on the 6666km challenge thread that would know those roads backwards.

c b
celeste boy

Postby Ken Oath » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:31 am

Hi MREJ I have walked ran and ridden there for about 10 years it's just across the road! Re Road Cycling it is a figure 8 with loops at 5.7k and 5.4k for an 11.1k total. The speed limit is 30k as per signs, now it is free entry 10am - 5pm.I am a "friend of the garden" and ride mainly out of hours safely and as a very average rider I love it great coffee shop too. Would recommend the "friends" option only $50-60? per year
Ken Oath

Postby Wollemi » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:37 am

Nice co-incidence to meet Ken Oath on Monday PH at Mt Annan Botanic Gardens. Thanks for your encouragement to utilise the place.
Me and my partner very much enjoyed our bike and hike around the S end of the gardens. Many natives in flower at the moment, too.
Live every day as though it is your last - one day you will be right...
Wollemi

Postby MREJ » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:49 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments. My wife went to check it out and we've decided to become "friends of the gardens" so we can ride there before the cars are let in. She thought it compared well to other closed road options (eg M7, Lansdowne, Centennial Park, Waratah Park). We should be able to get the occasional 20/40k blast in and I'm looking forward to enjoying the setting.

Does anyone know what the magpies are like in the gardens at the moment?

Marcus
2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, 2012 Felt F75, 2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE
MREJ

Postby lovemybike » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:54 pm

MREJ wrote:Thanks everyone for the comments. My wife went to check it out and we've decided to become "friends of the gardens" so we can ride there before the cars are let in. She thought it compared well to other closed road options (eg M7, Lansdowne, Centennial Park, Waratah Park). We should be able to get the occasional 20/40k blast in and I'm looking forward to enjoying the setting.

Does anyone know what the magpies are like in the gardens at the moment?

Marcus

I live in Mt Annan and ride around the Gardens quite often. It's a great place for an "off road" ride on a road (if you know what I mean) ie it is quiet during the week and mornings/afternoons and the drivers that use it seem okay with sharing :) You get a nice view of the Blue Mtns from one hill and often see wallabies and kangaroos around the Gardens as well. One loop is about 6km and the other is 4km and have a couple of interesting hills. I recommend it. I haven't come across any problem magpies there yet - however there are a couple of streets in Mt Annan itself I'm avoiding at the moment :shock:
lovemybike

Postby MREJ » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:58 am

Well, we tried out Mt Annan this morning. In a word, gorgeous! It's such a beautiful place in the early morning, and the circuit isn't half bad either. A smooth, one way road with dips and climbs leading to long views in all directions. No cars prior to the 10am opening, and only three other cyclists. The only hazards were a couple of families of ducks crossing the road - one in particular didn't like its quiet time being interrupted - and falling into a swoon due to the serene nature of gliding around the park. There are very few spots in the Sydney area where you can ride extended distances with no traffic and no stopping, and this has to be up there with the very best. If anyone lives within easy reach, I'd recommend becoming a Friend of the Gardens so you can take advantage of the special access outside normal public hours.
MREJ

Return to New South Wales