Sydney to Jervis Bay Route

Postby maximus » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi,

I am planning a Christmas ride with a few friends from Sydney to Jervis Bay. We were thinking of going through the Royal National Park to the Gong first but I'm not overly confident on the roads from there on?

Has anyone ever cycled through and south of the Gong to Nowra for example? Any roads to be avoided?

Thanks in advance for any help! :D
maximus

by BNA » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:31 am

BNA

Re: Sydney to Jervis Bay Route

Postby norbs » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:31 am

maximus wrote:Hi,

I am planning a Christmas ride with a few friends from Sydney to Jervis Bay. We were thinking of going through the Royal National Park to the Gong first but I'm not overly confident on the roads from there on?

Has anyone ever cycled through and south of the Gong to Nowra for example? Any roads to be avoided?

Thanks in advance for any help! :D

You'll be fine til you get to the gerringong turn off. From there it could be a bit hairy.

Via Berry is narrow and winding. Once you get to berry it is fine.

Via Gerringong is probably ok until you get to Seven mile Beach. The road from Gerroa to Shoalhaven Heads is 100kph and narrow and hardly any shoulder.
norbs

Postby blc » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:13 pm

If you don't mind a detour (and an honest hill climb or two) you could always head up Macquarie pass, then down to nowra via kangaroo valley. It'll add quite a few more km's than following the coast but you'll get some very scenic riding and some fantastic spots for rest breaks along the way.
blc

Postby maximus » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I will map the scenic route and see how many km's that adds to the overall route!
maximus

Postby aeroslave » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:00 am

I agree with the roads around 7 Mile Beach.....no shoulders and vehicles are always over the 100kph "suggested" speed. The roads are also not well lit at certain parts due to Trees providing shade. Have fun and be safe....
aeroslave

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:53 am

You can ride completley off busy roads from Thirroul to Kiama then onto the hwy at Kiama Bends.
If you don't mind a little bit of dirt(around 2kms) then just after Gerringong take Toolijooa Rd then a right towards Berry. Just before getting to Berry take a left at Agars Ln. When that runs out go left again for about 500 metres before turning right at Bryces Rd. Follow this to the end and you will come out on Bolong Rd and a wide shoulder all the way to Nowra.

Last edited by Mugglechops on Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:55 am

aeroslavebigbelly wrote:I agree with the roads around 7 Mile Beach.....no shoulders and vehicles are always over the 100kph "suggested" speed. The roads are also not well lit at certain parts due to Trees providing shade. Have fun and be safe....

Not when I drive down there. I always get stuck behind someone doing 80km/h :D
Mugglechops

Postby herzog » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:02 pm

One option would be to get the train for the hairy section between Gerringong and Bomaderry. (about 20 mins I think)

As someone else said the road near 7 mile beach is treacherous.

Imagine getting shaved by a 4wd at 100kph... And he's forgotten that the boat he's towing is an extra foot wider than his car. I wouldn't risk it.
herzog

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:11 pm

The train is the option we are taking from Kiama on Sunday after the Gong Ride.
Mugglechops

Postby norbs » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:44 am

Mugglechops wrote:The train is the option we are taking from Kiama on Sunday after the Gong Ride.

Ride it ya lazy git. :D
norbs

Postby gazzawizza55 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:56 pm

Hi - I'm thinking of doing exactly the same thing i.e. a Christmas time (was thinking boxing day) cycle to Jervis Bay, and back in time for NYE. Do you fancy some company ??
gazzawizza55

Return to New South Wales