Jenolan Caves Super Mega Huge Enormous HTFU Epic!

TimW

Re: Jenolan Caves Super Mega Huge Enormous HTFU Epic!

Postby TimW » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:36 pm

rogan wrote:
leximack wrote:i did a few 150 and 200k rides before i went 300+. Huge difference between 100, 200 and 300+.
200+ requires correct pacing and nutrition.
If you blow up at 150km because you went out a bit quick or didnt eat correctly then it is very hard to recover properly and complete the ride.
No idea what your longest ride is (not intested in how hilly it is) but get a 150k and then a 200km flatish ride under your belt and then add in hills after that.
Everyone is different with how much and when to eat and drink so you really need to experiment yourself. But as a general rule if your hungry then its probably too late!!
Yep. Most rides over about ~150 km will contain a point where you don't feel so great. That is the point where your body switches from carbs to fats (it's more technical than that, and it's not a single point). To improve this, you need to teach your body to burn fat, hopefully from soon after starting. To do 300+ km, over ~13 hours, without relying heavily on your fat burning metabolism, is just about impossible. You cannot, during the course of such a ride, eat 4000 or 5000 calories (which is what you would theoretically need to do). One way to train your body to burn fat better is by going past 150 km. Well past. ~100 km rides will never do it. Not even 3 x hard 100km rides in 3 consecutive days.

If you are doing it properly, you should hardly ever get hungry on "normal" rides at all - ie. up to about ~4 hours.

So yes you need to learn pacing, managing your system, your intakes of water and food. You need to be able to climb steep hills, and be able to concentrate for long periods. You need to be able to handle riding for long periods in other parts of your body - back, arms, hands, neck all get sore.

But most importantly, you need to have a metabolism that will allow you to do such a ride.

Long training rides, up to at least ~70% of the intended distance, are highly recommended.

Spot on :mrgreen:

coops

Postby coops » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:15 pm

Fwiw over the past summer I went from only sub 100km rides to do 3 bigger rides 165km, 205km and 207km. I think what rogan & leximack have said has a lot of merit.

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:57 pm

aeroslave wrote:Ok any dates? I need a weeks notice. Will file a leave for this one and the day after if shiftwork gets in the way.
no idea whos organising it (not me) but it wont be till later in the year i would think, this time of year is too cold in the mounatins (and very unpredictable) and the daylight hrs are a bit shorter, October to Feb is ideal i think.

TimW

Postby TimW » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:05 pm

leximack wrote:
aeroslave wrote:Ok any dates? I need a weeks notice. Will file a leave for this one and the day after if shiftwork gets in the way.
no idea whos organising it (not me) but it wont be till later in the year i would think, this time of year is too cold in the mounatins (and very unpredictable) and the daylight hrs are a bit shorter, October to Feb is ideal i think.

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:16 pm

TimW wrote:
leximack wrote:
lol, thats how Steves bike looked about 60,000km and 125 cans of wd 40 ago, definately not now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:47 pm

TimW wrote:
leximack wrote:

Tim...we are already doing the 200km rides......I actually enjoy it. Scheduling is the key.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TimW

Postby TimW » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:53 pm

Lou, I won't be doing Jenolan mate.

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:10 pm

TimW wrote:
leximack wrote:i did a few 150 and 200k rides before i went 300+. Huge difference between 100, 200 and 300+.
200+ requires correct pacing and nutrition.
If you blow up at 150km because you went out a bit quick or didnt eat correctly then it is very hard to recover properly and complete the ride.
No idea what your longest ride is (not intested in how hilly it is) but get a 150k and then a 200km flatish ride under your belt and then add in hills after that.
Everyone is different with how much and when to eat and drink so you really need to experiment yourself. But as a general rule if your hungry then its probably too late!!
I tried to tell him Donny but he ain't listening :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

+10.

The key is pacing. Everyone has a different engine. Some go great on the steep but short explosive climbs, some on the 3-4% medium climbs and others can do Hors categorie like Spiz and Greg et al no problems. Others can't climb at all. To an extent training can improve it but each and everyone has their own strengths. You just need to find what works for you. Add long hills and you factor in your weight. A long flattish ride cannot equate with the same kms with decent hills. A fast, surge-fest 50-90 km Criterium is very different from a 250km Hilly ride. You can factor in your weight you are bringing up the hills. Power to weight will always play a factor.

When we went to the Snowies, I knew with my 84-86kg weight at that time...I need to pace myself coming up from Tom Groggin to Dead Horse Gap. On the start of the ascent...I let everyone go at their own pace and I sat on my 39X26 and 39X28 LOL! If I tried to chase Greg and Spiz on the climb...I will look cute for the first 500 metres but the ambulance would be picking me up in the next km or so :lol: . Thats around 17.5kms of up hill climb without respite averaging 7% - 8% gradient(?) with minimum of 5% and maximum I think of 17% on the bends. Pacing? HELL YEAH! I did not know how my body will react. Having only trained in the M7 and one Kurrajong ride to boot....cautious is the word. Add to the fact being first timer there...you just can't predict how your legs will take it. Thats only 110kms. The funny thing is that after the climb and we ate et al....I felt great to the point I felt I can still continue on. Eat eat drink drink works. Imagine the 300km. More eat eat and drink drink :D .

Now having done 150s and 200km rides....I can see the fat burning component. I have a lot of that fat I can attest its working :lol: . When you are riding for more than 4-5hours....two things can happen. If you pace yourself right..."Slow burn" happens...fat burning mode. Each has their own respective heart rate for that to happen. OR you can just exhaust all your glycogen stores and fatigue sets in in the form of cramps, myalgia and lack of concentration etc etc etc.

The great thing about TNFPR is that they will reasonably wait for you :lol:
Last edited by aeroslave on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:13 pm

TimW wrote:Lou, I won't be doing Jenolan mate.
Ok then Westhead and Akuna Mutata Bay :D .

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:11 pm

I've been doing 70-80 most Saturdays for 16 months, plus 200 commuting, I don't know what the key has been but I've noticed a dramatic improvement since increasing my "big ride" kms over the last couple months. A few centuries under the belt, some intervals to improve foot speed and power, and suddenly I'm attacking climbs after 100kms in the saddle. I'm not struggling with the climbing but I think proper climbs ala 8% for 5-10 minutes isn't something I've trained for. I managed to get second on the Glenhaven Road pinch after losing patience with my riding pals on Saturday and charging up in 34/17. :lol: 30 seconds of pain isn't hard anymore... I'm sure a Bowen Mountain run or three will fix that. ;)

stevet

Postby stevet » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:10 am

Xplora wrote:I've been doing 70-80 most Saturdays for 16 months, plus 200 commuting, I don't know what the key has been but I've noticed a dramatic improvement since increasing my "big ride" kms over the last couple months. A few centuries under the belt, some intervals to improve foot speed and power, and suddenly I'm attacking climbs after 100kms in the saddle. I'm not struggling with the climbing but I think proper climbs ala 8% for 5-10 minutes isn't something I've trained for. I managed to get second on the Glenhaven Road pinch after losing patience with my riding pals on Saturday and charging up in 34/17. :lol: 30 seconds of pain isn't hard anymore... I'm sure a Bowen Mountain run or three will fix that. ;)
Everyone is different. But! Listen to the wise words of Rogan......
"But most importantly, you need to have a metabolism that will allow you to do such a ride."

Check out "krebs cycle" on the web.
Yours sincerely

Arty

Postby Arty » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:38 am

Xplora wrote:I didn't realise that Bowen Mountain was only 10kms extra past North Richmond... if anyone is keen, I will hopefully do it this weekend after the fast ride. I think Trek-Arty might be convinced of coming for a run as well...
Can't do this weekend sorry mate....
Xplora wrote:I managed to get second on the Glenhaven Road pinch after losing patience with my riding pals on Saturday and charging up in 34/17. :lol: 30 seconds of pain isn't hard anymore... I'm sure a Bowen Mountain run or three will fix that. ;)
Sorry for holding you up mate!... next time round i'll be sure to sit on your wheel the whole way up so im not in your way :lol:

As much as i'd love to have a go at this Jenolan adventure, i just don't have the time to put into the training required!!...
That & yes im a little scared! :shock:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:08 am

Trek_Arty wrote:Sorry for holding you up mate!... next time round i'll be sure to sit on your wheel the whole way up so im not in your way :lol:
.... im a little scared! :shock:
Yeah I was hoovering your tyre pretty bad, wasn't sure I'd cope as well as I did... looking forward to MEGA BRUTALITY this Saturday, will be my longest ride and it is looking like it might be a solo effort up Bowen :shock: Just found out I can't do the day before Mothers Day... won't be able to get a Sunday ride either LOL Damn cultural expectations :lol:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:51 pm

Is there time for refreshments 8) 8)
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

leximack

Postby leximack » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:45 pm

we talk alot of crap about nutrition and all that but to be honest most of the time we just "wing it". I dont think any of us have done a single day of training in our lives. We just enjoy riding and having frozen cokes :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:37 pm

Don't forget salad :!:

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat May 04, 2013 3:05 pm

Xplora wrote:Don't forget salad :!:
You don't make friends with salad....... ;)

Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

stevet

Postby stevet » Tue May 07, 2013 10:41 pm

180 more sleeps and counting! Image
Yours sincerely

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Fri May 10, 2013 9:01 am

Old and Rusty wrote:You're really excited about this ride hey Steve lol.
stickgc wrote:You're really pumped up for this ride aren't you Steve :lol:
stevet wrote:180 more sleeps and counting! Image
FPR Ragamuffin

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri May 10, 2013 12:07 pm

We have a date???

stevet

Postby stevet » Fri May 10, 2013 4:22 pm

Xplora wrote:We have a date???
Sunday 3rd of November sounds a nice day for a little pedal :twisted: :twisted:
Yours sincerely

eon

Postby eon » Fri May 10, 2013 4:51 pm

holy sh11111t !!!!! when did this get revived..
just to add to some comments above. prior to jenolan my rides we're 80-100kms, with one exception when i did a 165km ride on an SS when i first got it ( a bit excited).
i was worried about the mammoth ride and kept asking Don about bail out points. But the excitement and the thought of completing the day kept me going. And John for instance tanked we'll before mount vic on the way to jenolan... but kept going then he smashed it on the way back...

mind you I also had a lot of food w/ me on the day... - I ran out of bananas which Don tried to sell me $50 for his. what a rip off..

to do it again .... Farrrrrrrrrk... :shock: :shock: :shock: I left home at 4:15am and got back at 09:30pm :shock: :? :?: that was ridiculous.

having said that ... I'M IN !!!!!!!!! - only if we include the @arse end - otherside of Jenolan. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

stevet

Postby stevet » Fri May 10, 2013 5:04 pm

eon wrote:Farrrrrrrrrk... :shock: :shock: :shock: I left home at 4:15am and got back at 09:30pm :shock: :? :?: that was ridiculous.
And the problem is ?????? :? :? :? :? :?
Yours sincerely

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri May 10, 2013 9:32 pm

If there was ever a ride that deserved a drive to the start point with the bike in the boot... we have a date, FTW.

stevet

Postby stevet » Sat May 11, 2013 6:10 am

176 more sleeps and counting! ImageImageImage...boy .....this is pretty tiring...but good training...
Yours sincerely