Tourist needs info about mtb at the Blue Mountains

Tourist needs info about mtb at the Blue Mountains

Postby germanontour » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:34 am

Hi,

I'm going to visit Australia in January 2012 for my first time. At the end of my stay there are a few days left and I'm thinking about mountainbiking in the Blue Mountains. Unfortenately it's harder than I thought to find any information about in the web.

So I hope that you can give me these information or can give me some advice where I can find them.

I think I'm going to Katoomba by train, and I'm searching for:
- recommended accommodation
- bike rental ( where, available bike models, prices .... )
- bike tours; guided or available GPS-tracks
...and everything else you can imagine connected with this ...

Thanks in advance for your help

regards

Max
germanontour

by BNA » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:34 am

BNA

Re: Tourist needs info about mtb at the Blue Mountains

Postby scotto » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:34 am

bit of an odd site, but lots of cycling info. no idea about bike rental or accommodation though

http://www.users.on.net/~fathers/index.htm#rides
scotto

Postby germanontour » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:06 am

Thanks - I found that site too, but is it the only one ?

Max
germanontour

Postby fringe_dweller » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:00 am

Bike hire I'm not too sure on. Tony Father (aka The Fat Hippy) is a Blue Mountains local, and that site is his take on the various trails.

Depending on what type of rides you are looking for there are a few trail options.

1. You like climbing.
Start at Glenbrook and ride back up to Woodford (this is known as the Reverse Oaks). Once in Woodford you can continue up to Wentworth Falls via Ingar's Fire Trail, then once at the top come back down via Anderson's and back down the Oaks into Glenbrook. Roughly 80km all up.

2. You like technical stuff
I haven't ridden it in a while but St Helena's was one of the more technical trails around. The National Parks *may* have flattened it out, as it's meant to be a fire trail access for bushfires. This one also finishes in Glenbrook, but if you don't have a local to help you out the end of the trail (or a GPS) then you may struggle to get home.

3. You like singletrack
Come down from the mountains a little to Yellowmundee Park at Yarramundi. A nice figure eight loop with some technical, some flowy singletrack. The two loops of the eight are pretty well split into flowy or technical, so if you find you like one side better than the other then you can just keep looping on one side.

This website ( http://www.trailflix.com.au/tfx_new/ ) is good for more trail info, though a little difficult to navigate.
Bike hire is not one I'm familiar with, though there is a pretty handy bike shop at Wentworth falls called "Bike Minded" who may be able to help you out.

Final port of call is a mailing list known as mtb-oz. Google that, it's the first hit. Sign up, there are heaps and heaps of guys on there - though it does ramble from time to time - and someone will definitely be able to help you out.

Cheers,
Grant
fringe_dweller

Return to New South Wales