Sydney to Orange NSW

Addictr3

Sydney to Orange NSW

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:48 pm

Anyone ever cycled from Sydney to Orange? If you were leaving from say, Central Station, which way would be best?

Cheers

Matt
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

trailgumby

Re: Sydney to Orange NSW

Postby trailgumby » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:09 pm

When I drive to Orange I strongly prefer Bells Line of Road west from Windsor due to the lower traffic and fewer holdups through the various towns you get going via Katoomba, but I'm not sure I'd want to cycle that route.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:21 pm

OK so Bells Rd is the better option?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:11 pm

It's been a few years since I've driven it. Very picturesque in places, but narrow shoulders in parts combined with poor sight-lines mean that many sections would be high risk for cyclists. Add to that the fact that produce trucks are common along it at certain times of year (harvest) I'd be nervous. The question is, is it any better than the normal route via the highway? I'm not sure.

TimW

Postby TimW » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:15 pm

I agree, a very dangerous and Hilly Road, that can have very high cross winds at times, i would err on the side of caution and not ride this route,up to you though.Tim

leximack

Postby leximack » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:39 pm

dont go Bells line rd, its hilly, no shoulder and cars going 100+.
Go the m4 then great western highway all the way to katoomba and then onto lithgow. Shoulder 90% of the way up,much, much safer and an enjoyable ride, have done this many times.
Let us know what you plan and when
How far to Orange?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:46 pm

leximack wrote:dont go Bells line rd, its hilly, no shoulder and cars going 100+.
Go the m4 then great western highway all the way to katoomba and then onto lithgow. Shoulder 90% of the way up,much, much safer and an enjoyable ride, have done this many times.
Thanks for that, that's the info I was looking to have confirmed.

Hmmm... I really shoulda kept my gob shut instead of just confusing things. :oops:

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks for everyone who has replied, really helpful information no confusion as well :-)

I think its roughly 250km to Orange from Sydney (Central) I am looking to ride it in 2 weeks,

What would you guys think of the traffic on New years eve or New years day? I want to stay the night in Orange, then ride back to Lithgow and catch a train home.

I'll do the M4 and then follow the Highway all the way, sound good :-)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:58 pm

While I haven't ridden to Orange, I've looked at a lot of the roads from a cycling perspective

If your got bandwidth for a little extra distance, consider some of the back roads;
1. Lithglow to Bathurst. An alternative to the main highway is to follow the road that roughly follows the railway track, ie turn off just before Lithglow at South Bonewfeis and go via Tarana
2. Bathurst to Blaney, then Orange. Perthville, Wimbleton, Newbridge, Athol, Balney, Milthophore. Then for the last bit, I'm not sure if you jump onto HWY 32 or use the back roads via Huntly rd into Orange.

If you don't need to stop at Bathurst, you save a couple of K's by bypassing it direct to Parthville. I recall a couple of shops there, but perhaps someone has better memory than me.

Do not use Hwy 24 from Bathurst to Balney, it has a large hill which has 2 car up hill car lanes and absolutely zero shoulder.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:07 pm

When I clicked on Walking on Google maps it suggested this route

Route

On the google photos, the road using Oconnel and the Lagoon are sealed and look quiet, but there must be some hills in there.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:13 pm

mikesbytes wrote:While I haven't ridden to Orange, I've looked at a lot of the roads from a cycling perspective

If your got bandwidth for a little extra distance, consider some of the back roads;
1. Lithglow to Bathurst. An alternative to the main highway is to follow the road that roughly follows the railway track, ie turn off just before Lithglow at South Bonewfeis and go via Tarana
2. Bathurst to Blaney, then Orange. Perthville, Wimbleton, Newbridge, Athol, Balney, Milthophore. Then for the last bit, I'm not sure if you jump onto HWY 32 or use the back roads via Huntly rd into Orange.

If you don't need to stop at Bathurst, you save a couple of K's by bypassing it direct to Parthville. I recall a couple of shops there, but perhaps someone has better memory than me.

Do not use Hwy 24 from Bathurst to Balney, it has a large hill which has 2 car up hill car lanes and absolutely zero shoulder.
Thanks for the info, I was considering this route?

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=xwpokdybfwrmabdr

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:18 pm

btw im doing this solo.

Plan is ride to Lithgow, eat lunch water refill. Cycle that route posted, to Orange. Stay the night, ride back the same way to Lithgow for the Train!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:45 pm

Ha that's the same route

What's the full distance? Your starting at Sydney GPO ?

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:04 am

mikesbytes wrote:Ha that's the same route

What's the full distance? Your starting at Sydney GPO ?
250kms to Orange, from Lithgow to Orange, 150km by that map.

I live in Manly, so was thinking ride to Central Station, Train to Parramatta station and start from M4

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:29 am

Sounds like a nice ride

Super early start I guess

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:16 am

Addictr3 wrote:What would you guys think of the traffic on New years eve or New years day? I want to stay the night in Orange, then ride back to Lithgow and catch a train home.
The traffic might be lighter on New Years Day than most days of the year, but...

There's an awful lot of drinking done on New Years Eve - and a pretty high risk that someone driving on New Years Day before noon is still well over the limit.

It would be less risky to start a day or two later. Highway not Bells Line of Rd is definitely the better option too.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:04 am

wombatK wrote:
Addictr3 wrote:What would you guys think of the traffic on New years eve or New years day? I want to stay the night in Orange, then ride back to Lithgow and catch a train home.
The traffic might be lighter on New Years Day than most days of the year, but...

There's an awful lot of drinking done on New Years Eve - and a pretty high risk that someone driving on New Years Day before noon is still well over the limit.

It would be less risky to start a day or two later. Highway not Bells Line of Rd is definitely the better option too.

Yeah was thinking this too. Maybe I aim for the 28th or 29th of Dec? What about C02 should I take Co2 with me?

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:06 am

What about New Years eve?

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:08 am

mikesbytes wrote:Sounds like a nice ride

Super early start I guess

Yeah I might ride to Central and get the early train to Parra. I am just a little worried on flats if I go one, I'd carry 4 tubes just in case, but was thinking maybe getting some CO2 what do you think?

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:09 am

Addictr3 wrote:OK so Bells Rd is the better option?
only
IF YOU WANT TO DIE......

having spent my life travelling to orange (family there)
bells line of road for car
cycling i would go GWH katoomba - lithgow - bathurst.
reasonable shoulders and good roads, plenty of traffic / assistance if things go wrong, and truck stops with water. slao you can visit the ugg boot shop in kucknow !

the back roads you listed (via blaney) i would like to ride unless in a big bunch.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:13 am

LOL OK OK on Bells line of Rd, I'd like to live!

So GWH all the way to Bathurst? Some were saying do that alt route, but if GWH is safe all the way, I'll do it?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:46 pm

The bit between Medlow Bath and Blackheath is a bit dodgy, but unless you want to ride a gravel road, there's no other option. Haven't personally struck any issues riding it, but its been a while.

If your getting bored of the hwy, there's an alternative between Blackheath and Mt Victoria, that being Station St. I think its sealed all the way, but better check

taytom

Postby taytom » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:40 pm

I have done a bunch ride from Orange to Newbridge and back. From memory it is a slow climb out of Newbridge to Blayney but the road is very quiet. The road from Blayney to Millthorpe is busy but there is a decent shoulder and you can stop in Millthorpe general store for a coffee/food/drink 7 days. The busy road then continues out of millthorpe for a few more km's then you turn left onto quiet road (see map posted earlier). Follow this road through Spring Hill, right onto huntley road, past the airpot and follow signs back to orange.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:50 pm

OK thanks guys, any suggestions on CO2?

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:14 pm

mikesbytes wrote:While I haven't ridden to Orange, I've looked at a lot of the roads from a cycling perspective

I do the above route on the motorbike 5-6times a year. It's a great road, but reasonably narrow no shoulder. Locals hoon on it as do some motorbikes ( :roll: )....

Shell at South Bowenfells to Tarana has a few climbs and the road deteriorates either side of the Rydal-Hampton intersection - last month this was dirt waiting to be resurfaced.
Huge climb (short but steep) between Sodwalls and Tarana this was part of the dirt section last month.
Tarana to O'Connell, narrow undulating, a few tight (for cars and 4wd) corners, but some lovelly scenery on a good day. Actually raced an XPT train for a couple of km on last months ride :)
O'Connell to Georges Plains is good road and mostly a bit wider.
Wimbledon to Newbridge is like Tarana to O'Connell
Newbridge to Orange is a great bunch of roads. More open, and wider. Have ridden by pushy the Millthorpe to Orange via Spring Hill bit and it's good country road.

Good luck and Enjoy!
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad