"New" CEO for BNSW

holmesy

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby holmesy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:31 pm

Well I am bloody confused- I have done a search to see if it's worth joining bicycle nsw from an insurance point of view (as I am now riding for 20 km on a 100km/h road and the only thing separating me from death is a white line which runs out in some sections)- I don't care for advocacy or newsletters. Now this thread is heading to other states- so I take it from my reading there is no reason to join another (cheaper) state and know my mortgage is going to be paid when I get squashed?!

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:01 pm

Would be great if you could get a racing licence as part of your membership. I don't if it is nsw qld sa Wa. Or. I'd like to piss the states off full stop. No point in having 7 bloody bits of legislation across a country of this size. It's a joke at our expense.
Yeh you can keap state of origin if you really like Fatty tellin you how good is our game, like you care. The whole state v states six
My rant ended
Cheers cognac. Post Race Drink :D

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:31 pm

Just to be3 clear, the Bwhatever insurance is not to protect me if I am hit, it is to protect me if I am at fault, so that my family doesn't lose everything in a lawsuit. Kinda like the Compulsory Third Party insurance you have with your vehicle rego.

There wsa a case judgement this year I believe where a cyclist hit a meatworker at Mount Panorama during the V8 races when the track was open for walkers, and ended up being liable for $600k plus legal costs for loss of earnings.

If you want coverage for loss of income or death, you need Income Protection Insurance and Life Insurance, both of which I have.

The cyclist got off lightly in my view.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:27 pm

From Cyclecover themselves, I spoke to Michael there today. He was answering an enquiry of mine as to whether you have to go through any cycling org to get the insurance or can you go direct. Unfortunately there isn't a direct option but he said I could sign up with any org in any state and be covered Australia-wide. That's good enough for me. I think Bike SA is the go given the price (which I believe doesn't include the throw-away magazine anyway).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:53 pm

Boognoss wrote:From Cyclecover themselves, I spoke to Michael there today. He was answering an enquiry of mine as to whether you have to go through any cycling org to get the insurance or can you go direct. Unfortunately there isn't a direct option but he said I could sign up with any org in any state and be covered Australia-wide. That's good enough for me. I think Bike SA is the go given the price (which I believe doesn't include the throw-away magazine anyway).

+1 Simon, was in at Bicycle SA HQ this morning and confirmed that your advice is totally correct. they also have three enhanced insurance options available should one feel one would like additional cover and yes, the magazine is optional also and costs an additional $30 on top of the normal membership fee.

byebye Bicycle NSW until significant and demonstrable reform takes place.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:39 pm

Bringing the back to the top to give you all an update on a possible interview with Alex Unwin.

He only started in the job this week (on the 1st) and he gave me a ring today about the interview I requested. He doesn't feel ready yet to talk about the direction of BNSW and so proposed giving an interview in November so that he could see how all of the events and the AGM etc turn out with him at the helm.

I'll let you know later this year if he gives the interview.

cheers,
David

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:48 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:He only started in the job this week (on the 1st) and he gave me a ring today about the interview I requested. He doesn't feel ready yet to talk about the direction of BNSW and so proposed giving an interview in November so that he could see how all of the events and the AGM etc turn out with him at the helm.
NOVEMBER?!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A leader with no plan. Great. We're back EXACTLY where we left off before Omar Khalifa took the helm.

Bicycle SA... hmmmm....

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:05 pm

Link to bfv's interview on this website with Omar last year

http://www.bicycles.net.au/2011/05/inte ... r-khalifa/
Omar Khalifa: I believe BNSW is primarily a membership owned organisation looking after the interests of people who bicycle for pleasure, commuting or sport. The organisation delivers advocacy, rider insurance, rides (such as the BNSW Spring Cycle), and various educational and promotional programs. But most of all, BNSW needs to be a friendly, respected and effective organisation that members can take pride in supporting.

BNA: What is your perception of how the cyclists of NSW see it?

Omar Khalifa: Until recently, I believe some cyclists would have questioned our value beyond the insurance we offer. As a member, I know I did. The organisation increasingly lost its voice and its raison d’etre.  By appearing to be increasingly sidelined during difficult discussions or seemingly always backing or being silent on government decisions and actions, many lost faith that we would be the voice and advocate what was truly needed. And, with insurance being offered by other organisations, the overall value for some began to be tested. Worst, BNSW became a convenient and a deserving "punching bag" for cyclists who hoped for more from the peak state cycling organisation.
What a difference a few months make. Omar was transmitting more openness and reaching out to users ie cyclists. The new-old one has just bunkered down. Alex is transmitting his remoteness more than ever. After his previous tenure, this org's relevance to NSW cyclists is not even a query anymore. I can read passion, a breath of fresh air with Omar. That has now dissipated. One step forward, two steps backwards.
BNA: How strong is BNSW as a lobby group or cyclist representative group when it comes to cycling infrastructure development? Are there political or financial pressures affecting the "voice" of BNSW?

Omar Khalifa: I believe that BNSW has influencing power due to our size and breadth of membership. We are still the recognised peak body representing non-competitive cycling issues across the state. It is certainly useful to our members, non-members and for government to have such a group to interact with that can offer a consolidated and prioritised view of what cyclists may seek as a “group”. With so many diverse interests, it would be hard to weigh up the various inputs otherwise.

However, I believe you either exercise your power or you prepare to lose it. For a long time BNSW lost its voice and the criticisms were well deserved that we were becoming unwilling to take on challenging policy issues because of our close association with government agencies and a dependency on funding arrangements. Even today we have a financial dependency on government funding for certain programs and ride events. However, we would soon be no use to either our members and subsequently by those same sponsors and departments if continued to become irrelevant to the cycling community. We need to be ready to speak up but to do so an informed manner. But it takes a steady hand and a clear sense of purpose to do this and I count on the implicit support from the membership base, staff and board of BNSW.
Right. Not to mention the stab in the dark with his abrupt departure. It was under Alex's previous tenure that BNSW lost its voice. Maybe the board found Omar's assessment harsh. Oh well. That's history now. They can play their boardroom games into irrelevance.

On the bright side, our membership runs out before the next AGM. Something to look forward to - don't need the magazine although Cadel on the cover was nice. Happy to save a few $ and support a cycling org that cares/listens to its members.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

anonymous_

Postby anonymous_ » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:38 pm

About @AlexUnwin
Tweets
Following
Followers
Listed

Think it says it all, leading from behind

anonymous_

Postby anonymous_ » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:41 pm

Found this gem on another site about the back to the future guy on his retirement first time around.

From the BNSW website
==========
It is with great regret that we advise our CEO, Alex Unwin has tendered his
resignation.
After five very rewarding years at the helm of the organisation Alex is keen to take
the opportunity to travel and ride his bike in other parts of the world such as the US
and the UK, where he has family.
In his time at Bicycle NSW Alex has made an enormous contribution transforming
Bicycle NSW into the professional and relevant peak cycling organisation in NSW.
His leadership of the organisation has been typified by his great passion for cycling
and for good public policy.
The Board is pleased to announce that Chief Operating Officer, Elizabeth Hole,
has agreed to assume the role of interim CEO, and Alex has generously offered to
remain with the organisation for two months to support the transition.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank Alex for his unfailing, positive
commitment to Bicycle NSW and bicycle riding as an important pillar in many areas
of social policy, and the integrity and balance that he brought to the many
challenges of his role. In view of Alex’s outstanding contribution, the Board has
decided to give Alex honorary life membership. We wish him well with his travel
and all future endeavours.

And the reply

eply by David Taylor on February 11, 2010 at 3:54pm
Thought I'd seen this before, I found the original:-

It is with great regret that we advise our Captain, Edward John Smith has tendered his
resignation.
After five very rewarding years at the helm of the organisation Edward is keen to take
the opportunity to travel and sail his boat in other parts of the world such as the US
and the UK, where he has family.
In his time at RMS Titanic, Edward has made an enormous contribution transforming
RMS Titanic into the professional and relevant peak shipping organisation in the Arctic.
His leadership of the organisation has been typified by his great passion for shipping
and for good navigation.
The Board is pleased to announce that Chief Operating Officer, Elizabeth Hole,
has agreed to assume the role of interim Captain, and Edward has generously offered to
remain with the organisation for two months to support the transition.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank Edward for his unfailing, positive
commitment to RMS Titanic and commercial shipping as an important pillar in many areas
of social policy, and the integrity and balance that he brought to the many
challenges of his role. In view of Edward’s outstanding contribution, the Board has
decided to give Edward honorary life membership. We wish him well with his travel
and all future endeavours.

from Sydney Cyclist forum

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:15 pm

Major eyeroll that their born-again fearless leader needs 9-10 months to prepare for an interview.... :roll: :roll:

I received a reminder email today since my renewal date is Feb 15. I did them the courtesy of telling them precisely why I won't be renewing. Hoping there are many more like it :twisted: .
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:00 pm

Boognoss wrote:Major eyeroll that their born-again fearless leader needs 9-10 months to prepare for an interview.... :roll: :roll:

I received a reminder email today since my renewal date is Feb 15. I did them the courtesy of telling them precisely why I won't be renewing. Hoping there are many more like it :twisted: .
Wow, you're not renewing because he won't give me an immediate interview! Solidarity for ever, comrade. I feel so loved :lol:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:02 pm

Boognoss wrote:Major eyeroll that their born-again fearless leader needs 9-10 months to prepare for an interview.... :roll: :roll:

I was going to ask Simon to post his email so I can be lazy and just write "what he said", but then I saw bfv's joking comment
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Wow, you're not renewing because he won't give me an immediate interview! Solidarity for ever, comrade. I feel so loved :lol:
What is the old trueism - something like many a true word spoken in jest.

BNSW has as it's mission "To promote, advocate, and support cycling" - if the CEO is unwilling to give an interview to a cyclist who goes by the oh so threatening handle of "bigfriendlyvegan", whose articles and posts are indicative of a gentle & considered manner, how is that CEO going to cope with mainstream media, shock jocks and politicians ?

And if it strokes David's ego just a little, well there is no harm in that.
Boognoss wrote:Glad I use a DVR in case I ever have a widow and fatherless son that would benefit from the evidence......
While I understand the sentiment in your signature, I am reasonably sure that your significant other & son would prefer to have you around - no amount of compensation or penalty will ever be adequate.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:14 pm

find_bruce wrote:BNSW has as it's mission "To promote, advocate, and support cycling" - if the CEO is unwilling to give an interview to a cyclist who goes by the oh so threatening handle of "bigfriendlyvegan", whose articles and posts are indicative of a gentle & considered manner, how is that CEO going to cope with mainstream media, shock jocks and politicians ?

And if it strokes David's ego just a little, well there is no harm in that.
Stroke away, I need the reinforcement. :D

To contrast this situation, I met Omar on one of the BNSW rides (he did them in order to chat with the members) and he had no hesitation agreeing to my on ride request for an interview. He didn't balk at any of my questions and answered them with an honesty that, I think, made an impression with the people who read it.

When I spoke to Alex he sounded quite overwhelmed in his first week on the job. I don't mind doing a "year in review" type of interview, but I thought having a hole in the bucket and serious cyclists leaking out would have prompted him to, at least, share his vision for the coming year. Given that I'm not actually a journo, I thought an interview with me would be "easy". Having the SMH do a story on you, on the other hand, would expose you to mum and dad cyclists whose membership they really can't afford to lose. But then, who am I to criticise? - I signed the family up for two years because I was a fan of Omar's leadership.

David

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:07 pm

How can he be overwhelmed with the job given he has been CEO of that org for 5 of the last 6 years?!!!

Talk about hiding from his members and back to Fortress BNSW. The overwhelming silence from this person and the board that re-appointed him speaks volumes for their lack of engagement with its members. And they want to corporatise this outfit?!! How will they make $ and attract sponsorship support from corporate Australia when they have effectively gone backwards with promoting cycling in the state?

Glad I didn't sign up for 2 years. Counting down until ours expire.

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:54 am

i got numerous emails from BNSW when it was time to renew all of which i ignored. finally after expiration of my membership, i got an email from the membership officer and i took great delight in writing a full and measured explanation of my dissatisfaction with BNSW which centred around and highlighted their complete lack of ability to communicate with their membership. that was at least two weeks ago and i've had no response. Q.E.D. :roll: :lol:

find_bruce

Is it time to give the "New" CEO of BNSW a nickname ?

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:47 am

I think it's time - Alex Unwin is just a bit to boring. In this age of the interwebs & twitter, he needs a decent handle.

I was thinking "the panther" - just like the Blue Mountains panther, there are occasional reports of sightings, but no real evidence that he exists :D

Other suggestions ?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:49 pm

My membership runs out today. looking looking....
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:03 pm

So I could re register my family with BNSW for $149 and get a mag every now and then that I can read in one 'sitting' (you know what I mean)

Or I can register with SA for $110. (and get the mag for $30 total $140)

Or I can register with SA & upgrade to the next level of ins for $155

the mag doesn't mean that much, mmm
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

"New" CEO for BNSW

Postby Boognoss » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:18 pm

I signed up to BSA this week. Commuter insurance and no mag for $115. A good deal IMO.

Cheers, Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:22 pm

Speaking of the magazine, I opted out of BNSW in January and joined Bicycle Network Victoria and received my first copy of the magazine today (two actually, december/january and february/march issues), it's certainly a lot thicker than the BNSW offering and on casual inspection I saw a number of albeit brief articles of interest.

My membership documentation also mentioned that BNV has about 50,000 members, which is impressive compared to the 11,000 odd and falling in BNSW.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:37 pm

So 11,000 of us suckers are contributing over $1m in membership fees....

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:20 pm

And whats with all you people realising this now? :shock:
When I alerted Qld to the facts that:
a)sections of their website hadn't been updated for 2 years etc yada yada, and
2)when we and NSW lost TWELVE cyclists in 3 1/2 months, we saw the advocacy equal ABSOLUTELY ZERO,
I got slammed?
Self appointed Orgs exist almost exclusively in Qld and NSW to raise revenue. Apart from Insurance - which to me is still dubious - they provide nothing.
These 'fun rides' they 'provide' for their members still attract entry fees equivilant to non-sanstioned rides, so your memberships pay for bugger all of those either.
I have more respect for conmen selling painted roofs to pensioners.
And now BQ is pushing to repeal helmet laws? Advocacy my arse :evil:
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:24 pm

Well, now we know Wombles. Both BNSW and BQLD are dysfunctional. Now how many members does BQLD have and how much are you guys paying? How about advocating BQLD members to migrate to the more active ones like BV and BSA? Money talks after all. Loss of members at $100 a pop is going to hurt eventually.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:50 pm

FYI BNV have been the worst of the lot to the point where Vic Roads and the Victorian Govt won't even go up against them. Several recent comments from Brennan in the media strongly point to BNV having strong links to motoring groups, and BNV have even distanced themselves from the other State Bodies who they felt were 'holding them back'. This move is not for the benecit of their membership.
Brennan has openly stated that it's members concerns are not his or BNV's where cycling safety is concerned. Again their sole function is to encourage more cycling participation for financial gain. Cycling safety and advocacy is hidden in the Attic like the disfigured family freak.
I think you all should join BSA to make the point to the others
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves