Forster/Blueys Beach ride advice

Forster/Blueys Beach ride advice

Postby humanbeing » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:31 am

I'll be staying a few days around Pacific Palms near Forster and was planning to take my bike and get in a few rides while my partner and friends sleep in. Bikely has a route from Blueys Beach to Forster return which is about 50 km.
Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? I probably want to give the Pacific Highway a miss but if anybody knows of any hills around that have reasonable roads, 100 to 150 km rides is what I'm looking for.
Thanks,
Peter
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor
humanbeing

by BNA » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:03 pm

BNA

Re: Forster/Blueys Beach ride advice

Postby l45er » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:03 pm

You can ride the Ultimate Triathlon bike leg as per the attached http://www.ultimatetriathlon.com.au/forster/maps.html

This is pretty similar to the old Forster Ironman bike leg except it misses the Coomba Park section. You can add the section into Coomba Park and back out to add a few extra km's.

Note that to hit 180km in the Ironman (and 120km in the Ultimate) they rode the course twice.

You could also ride all the way south to Buladelah along The Lakes Way - there are a couple of decent climbs just before the Pacific Highway.

When I go up to visit the folks I usually ride from Forster out to Palms, through Palms onto Tarbuck Bay and then return to Forster. Around 60km's give or take a little.
l45er

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:24 pm

Not a lot of long road climbs in the immediate vicinity unless you head back towards Buhladelah and ride The Lakes Way ... which strikes me as something of a suicide mission: limited shoulders and poor sight lines.

If you're up for a bit of a drive, you could search on bikely for Wauchope to Walcha. My late cousin used to compete in that and used to talk of a 25km climbing section with respect.

If you're prepared to look at MTB, the mountain bike trails at Kiwarrak are awesome. The XC circuit could be ridden on a CX bike if you're adventurous. :mrgreen:

It's dirt, but I'm told there's a decent fire road climb heading northwest west then north from near Bungwahl that's part of the Anaconda Adventure Race route. Supposedly great views from the top.

Sorry I can't be more specific. When I'm in Forster I mostly headed straight for Kiwarrak or Old Bar. I'm heading up to Taree/Forster this afternoon for my cousin's funeral tomorrow. If I overhear anything I'll post up more.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby humanbeing » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll be on a road bike so fire trails aren't on the agenda.
Thanks,
Peter
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
humanbeing

Postby brokenbus » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:37 pm

Why dont you try riding from Blueys up to Forster, then along the Lakes way to Failford Rd. Go along Failford Rd to the highway. If you turn around here and go back you will have done 100km for the entire trip or you go left down the highway towards Nabiac Cooloongolook. Riding the highway is safer than anywhere else as there is mostly a 3m wide breakdown lane. I have never had a problem on the highway and are more comfortable there than on the Lakes way. You could also ride the old section of the pacific highway which is just south of Cooloongolook and takes you down to Buladelah. It about 25km each way but you will be doing plenty of Climbing. I did it with some mates around this time last year and I think one hill kept us pedalling for 25minutes. Would be handy if you have something lower than a 39/23 for this ride
Cheers
Nicko
brokenbus

Postby humanbeing » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:49 am

Reporting in from Pacific Palms.
I went for a ride this morning - just down to Forster and back, 60 km return.
The roads leave a bit to be desired, back to Buladelah on the Lakes Way looks to be a death trip - no shoulder. So visions I had of grand loops involving the Pacific Highway and Wooten Way are on the back burner. I can add 44 km round trip out to Coomba Bay to the ride I did this morning so that will make about 100 km all up, pretty flat though.
At least the rain has stopped for the meantime.
Cheers,
Peter
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
humanbeing

Return to New South Wales