Sunnyholt Rd?

Sunnyholt Rd?

Postby Tehbunneh » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:50 am

Hey all!

I've just recently moved from mountain biking to road biking for commuting to university in the mornings. I need to go from rouse hill to either Blacktown or Seven Hills Station. I have tried a few different routes, mostly using the Old Windsor Rd cycleway. I was wondering what people thought about these routes?

Down Sunnyholt Road to Blacktown - I found the traffic to be pretty rough and the footpath is quite uneven and dangerous on a road bike.. the T-way maybe? I have read that there is a cycleway along there but I didn't see it when I was there.

Down Abbot Rd to Seven Hills - I found this to be alright.. although the cycleway along the side of the road frequently has debris across it (actually came across a plank of wood the other day) and also very close to being side swiped by large trucks. Also it seems to just end at some point (I think it was station rd).

Any ideas from people would be very helpful. Or any alternative routes =D

Thanks guys =D
Tehbunneh

by BNA » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:19 am

BNA

Re: Sunnyholt Rd?

Postby Spiza » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:19 am

There's a bike path that starts at the M7 cycleway and runs through Kings Langly, Lalor Park, Seven Hills and brings you out at Seven Hills station. You need to cross some quiet local roads but it's mostly path that runs through reserves and parks.

I'll try and post a Google link tonight if somebody doesn't beat me to it.
Spiza

Postby westab » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:01 am

There is a shared pathway along Sunnyholt road - Its OK but slow. Offically North of Vardys road it is on the west side of Sunnyholt road; it then crosses Sunnyholt road and is on the East of the road till it ends at the Railway line (southern end). At the north end it does extend all the way to Old Windsor Road.

If you are heading to Blacktown station (from Old Windsor road) and wish to use the path I would ride along the path till The lights at James Cook Drive and cross Sunnyholt there (both the road and the T-WAY) after the long wait to cross both turn south and travel down Elsom street (its a service road to the old folks home that runs parallel to Sunnyholt) follow this to the end where it comes out on a nice wide footpath then cross Vardys road with the lights and you are back on the shared path.
The reason for this diversion from the path is two fold; 1) Where the path crosses Garling road (near mackers / KFC / Pub etc.) people turning off or on Sunnyholt road smiply rarely see you (or sometimes do and don't care) and may run you down or simply que across the intersection. 2) to cross the lights at Vardys road /Sunnyholt road at best takes 5 min and at worst takes 8 min. (Reason 1 is the reason I don't travel this stretch or road.)

At the Blacktown end of Sunnyholt road I would leave the shared pathway and cross at Fourth Ave turn left Prince street, right at Second ave (roundabout), Left into Boys ave and follow all the way to the station - I think there is a lift to the concourse for the station there.

Just one more thing to mention - It is breaking the rules to ride on the T-Way.

Sorry for the long reply - Hope this helps.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab

Postby Xplora » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:59 pm

Spiza wrote:There's a bike path that starts at the M7 cycleway and runs through Kings Langly, Lalor Park, Seven Hills and brings you out at Seven Hills station. You need to cross some quiet local roads but it's mostly path that runs through reserves and parks.

Yes please Spiz... I wanted to know the "official" version of this one.
Xplora

Postby CommuRider » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:17 am

westab wrote:Just one more thing to mention - It is breaking the rules to ride on the T-Way.

What?!!

Must have missed the discussion in this. Can horses go on the t-way?
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby westab » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:29 am

CommuRider wrote:
westab wrote:Just one more thing to mention - It is breaking the rules to ride on the T-Way.

What?!!

Not sure about horses - but the T-way is considered a bus only lane and for authorised vehicle only. I have asked the RTA & Blacktown Police to confirm my understanding.

So instead I am waiting for the stinking lights again and again and again..........
westab

Postby CommuRider » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:24 am

westab wrote:
CommuRider wrote:

What?!!

Not sure about horses - but the T-way is considered a bus only lane and for authorised vehicle only. I have asked the RTA & Blacktown Police to confirm my understanding.

So instead I am waiting for the stinking lights again and again and again..........

Needs to open it to bikes and other vulnerable road users. Might suggest it to BNSW since technically I'm still a member and supposedly they advocate...
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby find_bruce » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:24 am

CommuRider wrote:Needs to open it to bikes and other vulnerable road users. Might suggest it to BNSW since technically I'm still a member and supposedly they advocate...

Snicker. thanks for that CR.

While you are tilting at windmills, you might like to get rule 158(2)(c)(i) cleared up.

It is legal for a cyclist to ride in a lane with this sign
But illegal to ride in a lane with this sign

The only saving grace of this confusion is that I have not encountered a bus only lane, other than the T-Way - I am sure they are out there, just I haven't seen them

Oh & yes you can also ride a bike in a truck lane - yikes!
find_bruce

Postby Xplora » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:24 pm

The Tway restriction DOES make a lot of sense because of the way the Tway is designed vs a bus lane... but really they should have made sure the Tway could handle bikes and made it possible for bikes to use it with buses at the same time. Would have saved a LOT of time and money than wasting time with a cycleway... the buses aren't so frequent that they couldn't go around the cyclist. It really is poor planning because most fast riders need something like a Tway to safely do 50kmh away from the main traffic.
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a roll through the Tway sometimes LOL
Xplora

Postby coops » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:45 pm

Spiza wrote:There's a bike path that starts at the M7 cycleway and runs through Kings Langly, Lalor Park, Seven Hills and brings you out at Seven Hills station. You need to cross some quiet local roads but it's mostly path that runs through reserves and parks.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Se ... gs-Langley

I think this is the one Spiza is referring to. If you go from Old Windsor Rd down Norwest Boulevard the entrance to the cycleway is on the left after the lights. And at the Seven Hills end you can just go straight down Lucas to Prospect Hwy as there's the big shared path along there.
coops

Postby wombatK » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:24 pm

find_bruce wrote:
While you are tilting at windmills, you might like to get rule 158(2)(c)(i) cleared up.

It is legal for a cyclist to ride in a lane with this sign
But illegal to ride in a lane with this sign

The only saving grace of this confusion is that I have not encountered a bus only lane, other than the T-Way - I am sure they are out there, just I haven't seen them

The T-way is a different legal entity to a bus only lane. It's a NSW only special additional road rule
157–1 NSW rule: T-Way lanes.

Many vehicles other than buses are authorised to use them (typically, service vehicles). When the rule prohibits drivers for
using the T-Way, the term driver is inclusive of cyclists (as per Rule 16).

I've seen many Bus only lanes used in NSW like this example: Traffic Light Bus Only Lane in combination with lights that have a "bus" phase that allows the bus a head-start to circumvent conflict with traffic.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby westab » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:27 pm

Thanks for clearing that up WombatK - much appreciated.
westab

Postby Spiza » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:05 pm

I couldn't open coops Bikely link in my browser for some reason but here is the route I was talking about

Google Link

Instead of turning right at Norwest Boulevard you can continue along the Winsor Rd cycleway, cross the bridge and turn right onto the M7C or alternatively take the path through Troubador Pk. They will all lead you to Joseph Banks Dr and onto the path.
Spiza

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:11 pm

Ain't that always the way - when I checked this morning, bikely was working fine, but I couldn't access Spiza's google link. Finally tonight all was revealed & yes they are pretty much the same route, with a minor variation at the Prospect Highway end

Spiza's route is Turn right onto Quinn Ave, 40 m, Turn left onto Williamson Ave 200 m, Turn right towards Lucas Rd 110 m, Turn left onto Lucas Rd 71 m Turn right onto Prospect Hwy, continue along to Seven Hills Station.

Coops route is Turn right onto Quinn Ave, Turn right on Lucas Rd, Turn left on Morris St, continue along Artillery Cres, Turn right onto Terminus Rd which leads to Seven Hills Station

In a similar vein, having said I have not encountered a bus only lane, once WombatK pointed out where they were hiding, I saw 4 or 5 on Sunday. None were in spots I would be looking to take a bike & only 1 - the old tramway along Anzac Parade, went for more than about 20 metres to give busses first go at the lights.
find_bruce

Return to New South Wales