Bathurst to Blayney

Tarquin

Bathurst to Blayney

Postby Tarquin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:27 pm

Anyone on here entered or done it in the past?

I was thinking of attempting the 70km, having not ridden a road bike for 10 years... :shock:

I was quite a keen MTB'er, moved to Aus at the end of October last year and havn't ridden since then, so will be a shock to the system. The distance doesn't seem too bad, I am just unsure of how much ascending there will be as it is fairly hilly around here.

goneriding

Re: Bathurst to Blayney

Postby goneriding » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:19 pm

I'd suggest that it will depend on how keen a MTB'er you were with respect to how much base riding you have. B2B is known for being a tough ride (hills, wind, and other weather nasties). Five months off the bike is quite a while.

You might be better off trying some local bunch rides for a few months before having a crack at a ride like that. If you are still feeling brave, all the best!

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:40 pm

Tarquin,

I did the Blayney to Bathurst (B2B) 70km last year. I agree with goneriding about the weather aspect. Last year it was about 12-13 degrees and WET at the start of the ride, and it drizzled throughout. :(

I didn't find it a hard ride, other than the adverse weather. I was wet through, my gloves were dripping wet and on a couple of downhills I lost my nerve a bit as I struggled to get the brakes to respond - they were so slippery from being drenched. There are a few hills but only one big long one just after Newbridge. It wouldn't be more than 5-6% gradient.

I found it a much better ride than big social rides like Loop the Lake (Lake Macquarie), as most cyclists at B2B are experienced road racers - less unpredictable moves! At the time I was cycling about 200km p.w with regular weekly rides of 70+km. I probably wouldn't attempt it if I wasn't regularly doing 50km+ rides that include a few hills.

Having said that, I did say to a mate that I wanted to come back and do it again, hopefully in better weather and on my single speed - that gives you some idea that there are no monster hills.

If you have a good level of fitness, ares strong in the legs and dosed up with plenty of attitude (HTFU), you could probably finish it but without a bit of training, would you actually enjoy it?

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:56 pm

Hmm..

Will have to get training and see how I am at the end of March perhaps and make a decision then!

I used to ride about 30km on a Saturday on the MTB, with approx 1000m ascending.

As for the weather, im a pommy so 12-13c would suit me just fine, so long as it's not too windy!

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:25 pm

I'd equate 30km of MTB with 1000m climbing to about 50-55 on the road, so you're pretty close. Not sure of the elevation gain, but from memory it was well under 1000m. Good luck with the training and of course B2B should you go ahead. I can't make it this year but hope to go again in 2013.

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:55 pm

Need to increase my distance, I really want to have a crack at this in three weeks time.

21km this morning quite easily, I find I can cruise at about 25kmph riding alone without using too much energy, so increasing the distance shouldn't be too bad.

I'll probably do a couple of 25km rides during the week and a longer one at the weekend, difficult now the clocks have changed, I don't like riding early in the morning, but then I'm away for a few days so no riding, probably do the legs some good to have a recover.

Here is the route profile, if I can crack the first half of the route, doesn't look like too much climb, then its a gentle downhill after that so should be easier on the legs if I am busted.

http://www.cyclingprofiles.com.au/HTM/C ... W_B2BC.htm

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:54 pm

Entered the 70km.

Up to 35km riding now, and that felt pretty good, could have gone further but had no more water so not feeling too bad about it! :)

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:15 am

how did everyone go?

I heard it was carnage :shock:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

mjd

Postby mjd » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:02 pm

JV911 wrote:how did everyone go?

I heard it was carnage :shock:
Crash fest.
Some appalling riding on display. People jumping from one wheel to the next in a big bunch crazy stuff.
We all make mistakes I guess.
Did the 110 avg 39kph. Caught behind a stupid crash on a flat straight road just before the big climb & that was after chasing back on after crash at the bridge. Bunch split chased & chased to no avail. Was a bit spent from the crit which was a little leg ripper. Good weekend though Tour de Tweed in 2 weeks.

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:04 pm

Went OK today, better than expected, went out quite easy not knowing how I would go with the distance, tried to stick in a group, but at the slower end of the field it tended to split up a bit more.

The 70km start was delayed as the riders looping back round on the 160km took longer than expected, so we were delayed by 30 minutes which was unfortunate as it meant we caught some rain. This seemed to catch a rider out who fell on the third corner in what looked like a nasty crash, looked to have some breathing apparatus or something attached when we went by.

The start was supposed to be staggered into groups based on speed, I chose 25-30kmph, what actually happened is that people split up more as the riders were nudged forwards towards the start line, and a lot of people over-estimated their average speed I think! I spent the first 25km going fairly steady and slow not wanting to burn myself out, but still passing people easily.

I was finding the hills a lot easier than most people seemed to, passing people all over on the climbs, some would come back past me downhill, not sure how, heavier rider perhaps or bigger gear, I was using top gear on my compact 34x50!

Got to about 40km in, my left leg felt like it was going to cramp, I managed to bunch up with a couple of other guys, we got to 50km and this turned into a bunch of 6. Then it was time for a world of pain, 35-40kmph all the way back pedalling for my life, had to take turns at the front which was a total killer for me and a real struggle, was just trying to hang on at that point! Much more fun riding in a fast group though, will have to try and get to the local club.

Waiting for the official result (provisionally 2 hours 16 mins 22 seconds!) but I timed myself at 2 hours 17 mins for the 70km, with an average of just over 30kmph which is the first time I have been over 30kmph average!

I really struggled with back pain when I got off though, couldn't bend over at all, had a hot shower and stuck some ibuprofen gel on. Feeling much better today now, should be fully sorted tomorrow!

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:56 am

mjd wrote:
JV911 wrote:Did the 110 avg 39kph.
chapeau!
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Brownster

Postby Brownster » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:29 pm

Is there an update on the Parramatta rider that was airlifted to hospital?

mjd

Postby mjd » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:52 pm

Brownster wrote:Is there an update on the Parramatta rider that was airlifted to hospital?
Has had successful surgery should be released from hospital in the next few days.

Brownster

Postby Brownster » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:26 pm

mjd wrote:
Brownster wrote:Is there an update on the Parramatta rider that was airlifted to hospital?
Has had successful surgery should be released from hospital in the next few days.
Good to hear.

auskonrad

Postby auskonrad » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:28 pm