M2 wrong way

ShanDog

M2 wrong way

Postby ShanDog » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:12 pm

On my way home today I saw a guy riding down the M2 in the wrong direction so as to avoid the M2 detour. Is this guy just a complete idiot for doing this?
Shannon

Apollo Vanquish (Snapped Seat Stay)
LeMond Tourmalet (Still Kicking :D)
Raleigh Record (Sold)
Schwinn Avenue Hybrid (Sold)

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:29 pm

I'd say yes.

Worse still, once I was driving out from the city in evening peak (so slow traffic in all three lanes luckily) and a cyclist was riding along in the left hand lane. Bloody lucky not to be squashed.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:20 pm

There's a small section of road in Pyrmont near Sydney CBD will nearly all of the bikes ride on the wrong side of the road.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:29 pm

mikesbytes wrote:There's a small section of road in Pyrmont near Sydney CBD will nearly all of the bikes ride on the wrong side of the road.
Yeah I know that section, it's the bit going from the bridge in darling harbour towards the anzac bridge. There's a significant difference though comparing about 15 metres to a few kilometres though.
Shannon

Raleigh Record (Sold)

NotTim

Re: M2 wrong way

Postby NotTim » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:47 pm

ShanDog wrote:On my way home today I saw a guy riding down the M2 in the wrong direction so as to avoid the M2 detour. Is this guy just a complete idiot for doing this?
I saw a guy doing this on the way to work this morning, I was wondering why I seemed to be catching him so fast before I realised he was coming towards me. It was just on the western side of the tunnel

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:13 am

This was on someones email signature on an email this morning

Code: Select all

==========================
"If everything is coming your way, make sure that you are not in the wrong lane"
           __o            o__       o__       o__
         _ \<,_           _.>/ _    _.>/ _    _.>/ _
        (_)/ (_)         (_) \(_)  (_) \(_)  (_) \(_)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:23 am

ShanDog wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:There's a small section of road in Pyrmont near Sydney CBD will nearly all of the bikes ride on the wrong side of the road.
Yeah I know that section, it's the bit going from the bridge in darling harbour towards the anzac bridge. There's a significant difference though comparing about 15 metres to a few kilometres though.
Not comparing.

To play devils advocate, if you walk on the open road, you are suppose to walk on the opposite side so you are facing the traffic.

How busy is the sealed shoulder?

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:38 am

It's that or ride on the footpath. I wonder if there's a plan to correct that situation.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:48 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
ShanDog wrote:
Not comparing.

To play devils advocate, if you walk on the open road, you are suppose to walk on the opposite side so you are facing the traffic.

How busy is the sealed shoulder?
Yeah sometimes the rules are all over the place. That shoulder changes a lot. I don't really ride there much but when I have it has been at different times and it always varies. I do know that when its busy, its frickin hard to go on the path because of all the peds who get in your way. Sometimes they even look at you and then deliberately walk into your path.
Shannon

Raleigh Record (Sold)

inya6

Postby inya6 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:05 pm

I travel via the cycleway over the Cooks river and along Marsh St beside Kogarah Golf Course almost everyday, and feel I also need to have a rant over the continued stupidity of some fellow cyclists.

To the best of my knowledge this is a ONE WAY cycleway travelling from the International Terminal side of the Cooks river WESTBOUND along the southern side of the bridge over Cooks river, along Marsh St beside Kogarah GC to join up with the cycleway under the M5.

I am sick and tired of idiots who feel they can endanger my safety by riding eastbound against the flow of traffic on the Southern side of Marsh St and over the southern side of the bridge. The Path is narrow and in parts obscured by slight curves and vegetation. Invariably these chickens alter course toward their right because they don't want to go towards the oncoming cars forcing the very real possibility of a head on collision with yours truly. Uptil now we've missed, often with a few choice words directed at them.

There is a cycleway on the northern side of Marsh St or heaven forbid actually ride on the road over the bridge and then hop the gutter back onto the cycleway beside Qantas drive.

Yes I know the northern side of the bridge is pedestrian only and the southern side has signs WESTBOUND saying bikes only. I also know it is only a matter of time before someone has a head on collision and both riders end up falling onto the roadway seriously injured or worse run over.

So grow a brain you fools and get your *rses over to the correct side of the road/cycleway.

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Bike Snob NYC rather poetically refers to this sort of rider as 'bike lane salmon', struggling against the flow despite the dangers... :lol:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:43 pm

sogood wrote:
It's that or ride on the footpath. I wonder if there's a plan to correct that situation.
The foot path isn't usable in peak hour as its ped gridlocked.

I know that the state libs had it in their targets, but I don't know what's happening.