2012 Magpie Season

TimW

Re: 2012 Magpie Season

Postby TimW » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:47 am

scotto wrote:McGraths Hill McDonalds on WIndsor rd.
Same bird that got me a month or so ago around the corner from here and drew blood.
Satan himself bred this bird for his evil plans. swooped and hit about 10 times over >100m (AT) 45-50km/h.

I was more prepared coming back and stopped when i saw the bastard come towards me. He sat on the post above me, didnt respond to yelling , shaking the post or throwing things. After a minute he didnt budge, and i made a break for it as fast as i could.
I knew it was a strava 800m sprint ahead where I'd recently lost the KOM, so maybe this might motivate me.
Its hard to ride fast yelling f#*k off to a bird, waving an arm around wildly, whilst trying to keep the speed above 47km/h, hold a straight line, and not look like too much of a dick to the other traffic, who i'm sure were laughing !
As it was the creature managed to nip my ear, but didnt draw blood.

Cant wait to see the strava time. The first half of the sprint was definitely faster than ever before.

Now to work out how to carry the tennis racket down there and put the bird out of my misery before he causes an accident. I reckon an overhead volley aiming him on the road should be enough for the trucks to finish the job.
Take the detour around the back way Scotto, saves a lot of grief, i used to talk to that bird as well in an unkind tone :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:

rogan

Postby rogan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:11 am

Sounds like a demon bird that one.

I got hovered yesterday. No squawking, definitely no attack. But checked out, definitely. New Line Rd in West Pennant Hills.

A general question - does spraying them with bidon water reduce their interest in the chase?

TimW

Postby TimW » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:31 am

The Magraths Hill Magpie is a tactical genius, from Battle of Britain style flying, to the claw on jersey and claw on helmet attacks he has it all. A couple of times last year i thought i had made it past him, then all of a sudden was slapped on the head. I don't think a water bottle would work on this Devil. He certainly is a brave defender of his nest, with an evil streak. I now ride the back way as a self acknowledged coward, but a happier one at that lol. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:50 pm

I saw on the 2011 topic on this a few recently posted on the magpie near Narwee station...
I used to ride past Narwee station towards King Georges rd & get swooped by one. Never struck me though.
I changed my route, not because of the magpie, but because I wanted a nicer ride into the CBD. Now just after Narwee station I turn right off Hannans Rd, under the train overpass, then first left into Bryant Street towards Beverly Hills.
All last season I got swooped by a Maggie.. The big click as he got very close. Never any contact though... But there has been no sign of him at all. So either he has found a new place to nest, become road kill or
I have added a flashing red light on the back my helmet... Does anyone think this may be a reason he's not swooping??
Or is he most likely in the big bird sanctuary in the sky?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:03 pm

Might be just in hiding to lull you into a false sense of security, ready to get you when you least expect it. :lol:

I got swooped by a maggie yesterday twice, but it didn't make contact. Greystanes Canal Reserve around the Bayfield Road and Macquarie Road area.

It's a regular around there and is really aggressive. But it seems to leave you alone if you are going really quickly (eg 40km/h).

Edit: The magpie I mentioned is a known pest - it does it to many people and is certainly very aggressive. :(
Last edited by g-boaf on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dean Whittle

Postby Dean Whittle » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:20 am

John,

Is using the M5 Linear Park cycleway an option for you? I've used it a few times in the last couple of weeks and haven't been swooped around Narwee, and it's a good quick ride through to Bexley Nth.

Regards
2012 Focus Planet TR 5.0

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:33 am

rogan wrote:Sounds like a demon bird that one.

I got hovered yesterday. No squawking, definitely no attack. But checked out, definitely. New Line Rd in West Pennant Hills.

A general question - does spraying them with bidon water reduce their interest in the chase?
Where exactly? Last year I got a swoop just near the Edward Bennett Dr cul-de-sac, about 100m from the WPH Sports club.
However, it was only the one time and I have not been swooped there so far this year. Will keep a lookout going home today.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

rogan

Postby rogan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:17 pm

queequeg wrote:
rogan wrote:Sounds like a demon bird that one.

Where exactly? Last year I got a swoop just near the Edward Bennett Dr cul-de-sac, about 100m from the WPH Sports club.
However, it was only the one time and I have not been swooped there so far this year. Will keep a lookout going home today.
That's the exact spot. I cut through there in both directions at times. Had three hovers now in a week. The one yesterday seemed a bit worse/closer, but I may have just known he was there and got more freaked out sooner. Still no contact, squawk or close wing flap.

My alternatives to that particular location are not great. Would throwing a handful of sand upwards work?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:17 pm

rogan wrote: That's the exact spot. I cut through there in both directions at times. Had three hovers now in a week. The one yesterday seemed a bit worse/closer, but I may have just known he was there and got more freaked out sooner. Still no contact, squawk or close wing flap.

My alternatives to that particular location are not great. Would throwing a handful of sand upwards work?
I sometimes cut through there too, mostly as my atrocious weather route. My usual route is to continue along New Line Rd towards Dural. I turn off at Purchase Rd. I rarely have any issues along there with motorists. In heavy rain I take the back way to Purchase Rd due to the poor visibility caused by headlights reflecting on the road surface.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

trek52

Postby trek52 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:42 pm

Ryrie rd he is back !!!

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:03 am

trek52 wrote:Ryrie rd he is back !!!
Glad I've been avoiding Ryrie St completely this season already.

There's one on Murray Farm Rd Carlingford that has swooped Tuesday and today this week (on the eastern side of Pennant Hills Rd about 200m towards Epping). Today I had 13+ 300mm cable ties in the helmet ready. He swooped a few times but didn't come close.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

purple

Postby purple » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:20 am

If riding from Epping to North Sydney, what is the alternative to Ryrie rd?

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:34 am

purple wrote:If riding from Epping to North Sydney, what is the alternative to Ryrie rd?
Eastbound I'll stay on Coxs Rd passing Ryrie, then turn left onto Cressy Rd, go to the end then a quick downhill run to get up to the lights at Pittwater.

Westbound I turn onto Pittwater and right onto Magdala at the roundabout, left onto Cressey and right onto Coxs to go all the way to Ryde Rd.

Easy :)
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

trek52

Postby trek52 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:11 pm

lets hope that the blook near epping station doesnt come back this year, he wasnt there last year. Which one is Murray Farm Boss, up the hil from epping rd ?

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:57 pm

trek52 wrote:lets hope that the blook near epping station doesnt come back this year, he wasnt there last year. Which one is Murray Farm Boss, up the hil from epping rd ?
Not sure if this image works. If not I'll redo it when I get home. It's west of Epping closer to Castle Hill where I commute to/from.

Cheers, Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zozza

Postby zozza » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:54 am

Boognoss wrote:Not sure if this image works. If not I'll redo it when I get home.
Cheers, Simon
Now theres something you don't see everyday..............

Five Bars on Voda
:P :P :P

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:58 am

zozza wrote:
Boognoss wrote:Not sure if this image works. If not I'll redo it when I get home.
Cheers, Simon
Now theres something you don't see everyday..............

Five Bars on Voda
:P :P :P
Funny :-D

I didn't notice

Cheers, Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trek52

Postby trek52 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:18 pm

Thanks mate, I dont go that way :)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:39 am

purple wrote:If riding from Epping to North Sydney, what is the alternative to Ryrie rd?
I continue down Coxs Rd and take the 3rd left instead, which is Chauvel St. Cross over Blamey St, then right into Cutler Pde, left into Blenheim Rd and down to Epping Rd/Pittwater Rd (See here: http://app.strava.com/rides/16250549). You pretty much stay up on top of the ridgeline instead of going down Ryrie St with all the Stop Signs, then have to climb back up to Delhi Rd and then down the hill again.

After getting attacked last year on Ryrie St, I use the above route permanently.

Coming home I use a slight variation, since Blenheim Rd is uphill and is a busy bus route, so I turn off earlier:-

http://app.strava.com/rides/16250543

sb944

Postby sb944 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:33 pm

I've been swooped daily on Ford St/Eastview St corner in North Ryde. I then continue on to Ryrie St, and haven't been swooped once, riding almost daily the last 5 weeks. It's no big deal to me, I have a helmet and big bag on my back,

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:44 pm

The Ingham Ave Five Dock 'pie is back

He must be a bit rusty though because he had at least 4 goes at me and no direct hits :lol:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:33 pm

I was bombed twice yesterday on the Princes Hwy about a k north of Waterfall - once on the way into the park and again on the way out. There goes my theory that you can ride the Park without fear of attack.

It wasn't too bad - a mild swoop and then he backed off when I waved my hand in the air. Came back for a second look after I stopped the waving. And, like others, he backed off when I turned around to look at him. Not sure how much I want to do that next to two lanes of 100kmh traffic though!
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:39 am

Meadowbank, where you go over the rail bridge near the train station (Bank St.). There's a maggie there who likes to get ears and he's quick and persistent down to the round about. Not good when you're coming home from work and get stuck in traffic over that bridge.

BlueiDav

Postby BlueiDav » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Got swooped 4 times yesterday with 4 helmet strickes :evil: . The only thing that helped was after the first strike I could watch the shadow on the road and knew when return visits where imminent so I could move my head a the last minute reducing the force of the strike. Nothing like a bit of extra encouragement for an uphill sprint :D . This was on Pellisier Rd in Putney between Dyson St and Delange Rd.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:48 pm

There is a magpie around Gipps Road Greystanes on the Canal Reserve (just after the viaduct) that is very damn persistent. It doesn't matter if you are doing over 40km/h, it still swoops, clicks the beak and if you were going slow enough it wouldn't surprise me if it'd go for the ears as well.

I'm hoping someone will deal with it... I'm contacting NPWS tomorrow, I still know some people there.