Reporting Unsafe Bike Infrastructure

find_bruce

Re: Reporting Unsafe Bike Infrastructure

Postby find_bruce » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:02 pm

Sadly the fake give way sign at Kennards has returned.

Perhaps it is time for plan B - write an open letter to the Kennards safety manager pointing out that the sign is an admission by Kennards that they know drivers exit their premises without giving way. As such it is an admission that they have not complied with their obligation under s 20(2) of the WHS Act to "ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that ...the means of entering and exiting the workplace ... are without risks to the health and safety of any person"

human909

Postby human909 » Tue May 19, 2015 2:43 pm

Look at what Melbourne City Council did for reporting cycling infrastructure hot spots. They had the system open for around a month and it is very comprehensive!

http://melbournebikeplan.crowdspot.com.au/page/About" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue May 19, 2015 6:30 pm

City of Perth has done the same thing using the same company for their Integrated Transport Strategy. Of course their problem is implementation...

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Mon May 16, 2016 10:00 pm

Anyone got any ideas what's going on with the Esplanade Thornleigh?

Lots of very alarming looking lines being painted on the road - for 'improvements to pedestrian and cyclist safety'... but I can't find any plans.

If they build stuff according to the lines marked, there's going to be a huge decrease in cyclist safety, and a large increase in car accidents in at least one spot I see.

I've pinged the council to see what's going on.

thomas1987

Postby thomas1987 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:58 pm

Wow no reports for almost a year...should this thread be unstickied?

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue May 30, 2017 1:05 pm

I have made reports, I just haven't posted them here.

Most times the RMS just palm me off to the local council. Who in turn palm me off to the RMS........

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:20 am

Back in late 2015 I downloaded the form at the beginning of this thread, and used it to submit a complaint about the debris on the shoulder of the M5 motorway, which, as Sydney cyclists are aware, is legal for bikes. I got a nice email back from an engineer at the RTA (RMA?). He had been in contact with the motorway maintenance people, who assured him that the motorway, including shoulders, was swept (vacuumed even!) fortnightly on average. This was clearly not true at the time of my complaint, but probably became true in the weeks that followed, as there was a noticeable improvement. My guess is that the M5 people are contractually required to keep the motorway clean, and my complaint was the nudge they needed to start doing their job.

I ride on the M5 (part of it anyway) 3 - 4 times per week. I can state with confidence that one short stretch from the Hume Highway to Moorebank Avenue has not been swept in two years (slipped through the cracks in the system?), but the remainder of the section I use does appear to get some attention about once per fortnight. The problem now is that there is so much rubbish being deposited (10 tonnes per year if you believe the flashing neon signs) that a fortnightly cleaning is barely putting a dent in it.

CycleBible

Postby CycleBible » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:39 am

Wow, I had no idea this was happening to this extent, really hazardous to cycles on the road! :? Does anyone know if similar things are happening near Kensington or around the inner eastern suburbs? How can I report if I see this? We here at cyclebible are always trying to post safety measures bikers can take while riding in Sydney!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:05 pm

Mugglechops wrote:I have made reports, I just haven't posted them here.

Most times the RMS just palm me off to the local council. Who in turn palm me off to the RMS........

Try getting upgrades done to a road (resurfacing) - same thing. Neither party looks after the road.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:13 pm

I actually complained through a phone app called " Snap send Solve" on two bad areas and one lot to a company as well as the relevant road authority.
Some success, but It is not worth re posting as it is a pain to post pics here.

I am on three other forums and I can post pics direct from my computer on all of them. Not here..... Flickr is a pain and since photobucket wrecked the system I just don't bother any more.

It has honestly cut my posts down a lot here.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:15 am

Philistine wrote:Back in late 2015 I downloaded the form at the beginning of this thread, and used it to submit a complaint about the debris on the shoulder of the M5 motorway, which, as Sydney cyclists are aware, is legal for bikes. I got a nice email back from an engineer at the RTA (RMA?). He had been in contact with the motorway maintenance people, who assured him that the motorway, including shoulders, was swept (vacuumed even!) fortnightly on average. This was clearly not true at the time of my complaint, but probably became true in the weeks that followed, as there was a noticeable improvement. My guess is that the M5 people are contractually required to keep the motorway clean, and my complaint was the nudge they needed to start doing their job.

I ride on the M5 (part of it anyway) 3 - 4 times per week. I can state with confidence that one short stretch from the Hume Highway to Moorebank Avenue has not been swept in two years (slipped through the cracks in the system?), but the remainder of the section I use does appear to get some attention about once per fortnight. The problem now is that there is so much rubbish being deposited (10 tonnes per year if you believe the flashing neon signs) that a fortnightly cleaning is barely putting a dent in it.
This page might be of interest - https://m5motorway.com.au/about-m5/roadwork-alerts - or you could submitting the form on the contact us page?

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:48 am

Talking about safety in infrastructure, in Broome the safety is for vehicles. If you get hit in Broome they probably take the vehicle to hospital.

ImageBroom ped sign by Paul, on Flickr
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers