Reporting Unsafe Bike Infrastructure

trailgumby

Reporting Unsafe Bike Infrastructure

Postby trailgumby » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:29 pm

Came across this link courtesy of a Michael O'Reilly blog article in the Sydney Morning Herald.

If there's a piece of cycling infrastructure you think is dangerous, or has issues that need to be addressed such as cleaning or foliage trimming, log it here:

http://www.bicycleinfo.nsw.gov.au/cgi-b ... azard.form

Am thinking this should perhaps be stickied. Mods? What do you think?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Reporting Unsafe Bike Infrastructure

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:01 pm

Good idea Gumby, adhesive applied in 3...2...1...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:06 am

I reported Duncan Gay as a hazard to cycing infrastructure in Sydney.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:16 am

THanks for the link gumby - am now thinking about which to start with

TraversW

Postby TraversW » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:50 pm

Yeh and it works, I have put in quite a few for up here on the central coast and have had my first action outcome so hopefully they get to all the others too.
Get on it people, they can't fix it if they don't know about it (and most of RMS workers drive cars so they probably don't)

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:48 am

Awesome. A mate has been emailing local council for years with no way forward in sight. I will let him know so we can stupid stuff like below fixed.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:11 am

We need something like this in Vic.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:40 am

You may find a smartphone app convenient.

Bike Blackspot.

SnapSendSolve.

Specific to Brisbane is FixVegas.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:43 am

thecaptn wrote:We need something like this in Vic.
Related to my previous post re the apps, Victorians can log a report directly on bikeblackspot.org.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:34 am

Mugglechops wrote:Awesome. A mate has been emailing local council for years with no way forward in sight. I will let him know so we can stupid stuff like below fixed.

Interestingly, that sign is not actually indicating anything as this is used for Bike Paths Only, not On-Road Cycle Lanes (which must state that it is a Bicycle Lane). If they had put up a "Bicycle Lane" Sign, then that would be cool because with the current line markings it would make the road itself into a Bicycle Lane and cars would be excluded from it :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:02 pm

RonK wrote:
thecaptn wrote:We need something like this in Vic.
Related to my previous post re the apps, Victorians can log a report directly on bikeblackspot.org.
Thanks Ron I'll give it whirl :)

bollo

Postby bollo » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:55 pm

does M4 count it needs to have a cleaner go over the break down / cycling lane there is so much !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! there to be clear of it you need to ride close to the white line / road
2013 Cube Lightning HPC SL Race
2012 Merida Scultura Evo 905

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:24 pm

Thanks RMS. What geniuses. :shock:

<Mod Edit: Oversized pic removed.>

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:28 pm

Where is that?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:45 pm

trailgumby wrote:Where is that?
Victoria Rd Rozelle (just past Darling Rd).

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:30 pm

queequeg wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:Awesome. A mate has been emailing local council for years with no way forward in sight. I will let him know so we can stupid stuff like below fixed.

Interestingly, that sign is not actually indicating anything as this is used for Bike Paths Only, not On-Road Cycle Lanes (which must state that it is a Bicycle Lane). If they had put up a "Bicycle Lane" Sign, then that would be cool because with the current line markings it would make the road itself into a Bicycle Lane and cars would be excluded from it :-)

Yes it makes no sense at all. Must have been random sign day at the council.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:32 pm

biker jk wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Where is that?
Victoria Rd Rozelle (just past Darling Rd).
Just one of the reasons I ride downhill on Victoria Rd at that point

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:54 pm

Haven't got a photo, but the genius' at Hornsby council have installed large roadside planters/blisters with 'keep right' arrows (the big black chevrons) on Sefton Rd Thornleigh.

When I noticed them putting them in over the last few weeks, I thought, 'that's pretty stupid, now cyclists have to merge into fast moving traffic for no practical reason, on a road that was previously wide enough for cars to pass safely'.

Then, tonight I noticed that they've painted a very nice thick solid line between the islands, with bike symbols in it -- how the f* is this supposed to constitute a bicycle lane? (yes, I know the lack of signs means its not one anyway.. but motorists rarely know that). Extra bonus points for defining a new door zone.

here's the idiocy in all its glory.. the spec says 'typical 1200' between blister and line, except there's no way there's that much space - more like 300mm or less.

I'll have to have a closer inspection in daylight and send in a report to council if I confirm what I saw.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:51 pm

I got a reply today from one of the 2 I sent in.

Apparently they are going to fix sometime this financial year.

Even though my mate was told the same thing in 2011 about the same piece of road.

SentryBox

Postby SentryBox » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:24 pm

biker jk wrote:Thanks RMS. What geniuses. :shock:
This is outside that funeral parlour place in Rozelle - at least they won't have to carry you very far after you nail it!

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:34 pm

duncanm wrote:Haven't got a photo, but the genius' at Hornsby council have installed large roadside planters/blisters with 'keep right' arrows (the big black chevrons) on Sefton Rd Thornleigh.

When I noticed them putting them in over the last few weeks, I thought, 'that's pretty stupid, now cyclists have to merge into fast moving traffic for no practical reason, on a road that was previously wide enough for cars to pass safely'.

Then, tonight I noticed that they've painted a very nice thick solid line between the islands, with bike symbols in it -- how the f* is this supposed to constitute a bicycle lane? (yes, I know the lack of signs means its not one anyway.. but motorists rarely know that). Extra bonus points for defining a new door zone.

here's the idiocy in all its glory.. the spec says 'typical 1200' between blister and line, except there's no way there's that much space - more like 300mm or less.

I'll have to have a closer inspection in daylight and send in a report to council if I confirm what I saw.
I love how they force you into the road shoulder and then require you to change lanes at every intersection. Great way to get cyclists left hooked :roll:

As incompetent as Ryde Clowncil are, at least they put the bicycle symbols in the right spot for similar treatments: http://goo.gl/maps/8yIaD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:56 pm

wellington_street wrote:
duncanm wrote:Haven't got a photo, but the genius' at Hornsby council have installed large roadside planters/blisters with 'keep right' arrows (the big black chevrons) on Sefton Rd Thornleigh.

I love how they force you into the road shoulder and then require you to change lanes at every intersection. Great way to get cyclists left hooked :roll:

As incompetent as Ryde Clowncil are, at least they put the bicycle symbols in the right spot for similar treatments: http://goo.gl/maps/8yIaD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bike North got Ryde council to put
logos in the middle of the traffic lanes.
Hornsby Council does not provide much in the way of paint. I have to navigate those awful blisters all over the place, so I prefer to stay out of the shoulder as a result.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:53 pm

Thanks for the reminder. I had lodged a complaint with the RMS about the fact that Kennards Hire have erected a fake give way sign on the shared path on Victoria Road Rozelle along with a flashing light that is activated whenever a vehicle is near the exit of their premises.

Funnily enough there is no sign reminding the driver of their obligation under road rule 74 to give way to "any vehicle or pedestrian on any road related area that the driver crosses to enter the road". Instead of reducing the risk of a collision, the flashing light & sign appear to merely encourage vehicle drivers not to give way.

Having got nowhere with email I thought I would add by reporting it through the website as well.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:37 pm

RMS have terrible Customer Service. You can always go political if the slowly grinding gears of bureaucracy are too slow for you.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:55 pm

It won't happen overnight, but it will happen. Don't know which complaint was successful, but I noticed the other week that the fake give way sign outside Kennards has been removed. Sadly the other abominations in the photo above remain