Lady Carrington Drive, RNP

sogood

Lady Carrington Drive, RNP

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:18 pm

Has anyone ridden the Lady Carrington Dr in Sutherland RNP? Specifically wondering if the track is suitable for road bike tyres (23mm). I understand it's a dirt track with some degree of quality but aren't sure if it'll be a bone shaker for my road bike.

Thanks for any info. Trying to organize an outing for the kids and his school buddies' family.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

timbo

Postby timbo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:54 am

The first time I did the Sydney to Wollongong bike ride, they went along Lady Carrington Drive, and I did it on my road bike, so yes, it can be done.
Its not a bad surface really, and apart from a couple of rocky sections where you might have to slow down and pick your line, you should be able to complete it OK. Right at the southern end, there is a sharp rise which may give you a few concerns with traction, but it will only be a short walk to the gates at the end of the track, and if you are taking kids, you may be doing so anyway.
Its not so much a mountain bike ride, as a dirt road ride, so if the damp weather hasn't caused it to get chopped up, I'd say go for it.
Let us know its condition at the moment.

timbo

Postby timbo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:02 am

Me again.

You've just given me an idea of somewhere to ride this coming weekend, so if you are planning to do it after then, I'll report back.
If riding in the RNP, I normally park the car at Loftus Oval carpark, and ride into the park from there, knowing its a steep ride back out, but if you are taking kids, it might be better to pay the park fee, and park at Audley Weir picnic area carpark (make sure you display your carpass to avoid getting fined by the rangers) as the start of Lady Carrington Drive is close by.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:35 am

Thanks Timbo. Fortunately or unfortunately, we didn't go yesterday for other reasons. But as it turned out, there were some late morning rain and it would have been a bit nasty down there.

By your report, I think we'll give it a go on a later weekend. I am sure the kids would be pleased. Thanks again!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:29 am

I've ridden along it in the 80's on 27*1 1/4 tyres. Back then it was a road that cars could go up and was rideable.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

timbo

Postby timbo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:34 am

I did the Lady Carrington Drive ride on saturday morning, and did it on my old road bike with 23mm tyres to see if it can be done.
The simple answer is, yes it can be done, but the pace will be slow as you will be constantly picking your line to avoid the rocky sections of track.

The dirt surface was good despite there being rain up until the thursday prior, with only a couple of boggy corners which have an outside line which is rideable, but the biggest problem was where the top layer of dirt has washed away with recent rains and exposed the rock layer underneath.
The rocks are fairly small and round, so there should be no concerns about punctures, it will just be a bit bumpy, and you find yourself constantly surveying the road ahead to find a smooth path. In quite a few areas an alternative smoother path will have been found on the other side of the track, so it will not be too bad.
On the final incline to the gates at the southern end of the drive, I ended up dismounting and walking the bike up the track, as I found it difficult to maintain any momentum.

If you are taking kids with you, and you are expecting the pace to be fairly slow, them that would be OK, but as an alternative place to ride at your normal pace, then borrow an MTB or Hybrid. A cyclo-cross bike would be perfect for those people who have one.

Lady Carrington Drive is a wonderful, often forgotten place to ride a bike, and is perfectly suitable as a place to take kids, or introduce people to off-road cycling. it is very scenic, and there a couple of spots on the track where you can pull over and take a break, and Audley has a large grassed area for picnics, with shelters and tables, canoe hire and a kiosk and toilets all nearby.
National Park entry fees do apply if you are taking your car inside the park and stopping (no fee applies if you are driving straight through to Stanwell Park or Wollongong and are not stopping in the park), And the ranger was at the Audley entrance to the Royal National Park collecting fees, although at the southern end of the drive, there were a lot of cars parked, so maybe the rangers booths had not opened yet.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:44 am

Thanks Timbo. I think I'll organize a trip for the kids during this school holiday.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:53 am

I've got some 28mm tyres if you want to use them.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:58 am

Thanks. If Boonen can do P-R on 24mm tubular, I'll do it with 23mm. ;)

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:10 pm

Don't take this the wrong way Sogood, but I'm assuming there's an ever-so-slight capability gap between you and Boonan, yes? :P

Kev.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:11 pm

Kev365428 wrote:Don't take this the wrong way Sogood, but I'm assuming there's an ever-so-slight capability gap between you and Boonan, yes? :P
Are you suggesting that he has thicker bottoms than I do? :wink:

timbo

Postby timbo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:18 am

Kev365428 wrote:Don't take this the wrong way Sogood, but I'm assuming there's an ever-so-slight capability gap between you and Boonan, yes? :P

Kev.
I'm sure if Tom Boonen keeps up his training schedule, he will be right up there with sogood in no time at all.