lower mountains ridathon Monday Public Holiday

Re: lower mountains ridathon Monday Public Holiday

Postby Chuck » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:22 pm

coops wrote:What an awesome day for an awesome ride! Many thanks to Don for setting up the trip, and also for patiently waiting for me at the top of each climb/bottom of each descent.

Some highlights for me...
- Making it up each climb (eventually). I think we even did all the ones Don wanted to do?
- Seeing Don get dive bombed by a magpie when descending from Kurrajong at about 60kph, then getting hit on the back of the helmet by the same bird.
- Appreciating the views from the lookouts more when you've ridden up from the bottom.
- Facing Old Bathurst Rd with 100k+ in the legs. :shock:
- Saying yes to the Lapstone climb after Old Bathurst. :shock:
- Setting some personal-worsts on m7 strava segments in the limp home.
- Most climbing I've done in a ride.
- Longest ride I've done. First metric and imperial century.
- Best post ride shower ever.

:D


Image
Image
FPR Ragamuffin
User avatar
Chuck
 
Posts: 4232
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:19 pm
Location: Hiding in the bunch

by BNA » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:56 pm

BNA
 

Re: lower mountains ridathon Monday Public Holiday

Postby zozza » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:56 pm

Chuck wrote:
coops wrote:What an awesome day for an awesome ride! Many thanks to Don for setting up the trip, and also for patiently waiting for me at the top of each climb/bottom of each descent.

Some highlights for me...
- Making it up each climb (eventually). I think we even did all the ones Don wanted to do?
- Seeing Don get dive bombed by a magpie when descending from Kurrajong at about 60kph, then getting hit on the back of the helmet by the same bird.
- Appreciating the views from the lookouts more when you've ridden up from the bottom.
- Facing Old Bathurst Rd with 100k+ in the legs. :shock:
- Saying yes to the Lapstone climb after Old Bathurst. :shock:
- Setting some personal-worsts on m7 strava segments in the limp home.
- Most climbing I've done in a ride.
- Longest ride I've done. First metric and imperial century.
- Best post ride shower ever.

:D


Image



+1 :D
User avatar
zozza
 
Posts: 4062
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: lower mountains ridathon Monday Public Holiday

Postby joomz » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:22 pm

Well done, sounds like a solid ride! Got a Garmin or strava link to post? I'd like to try it sometime...
joomz
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:07 am

Re: lower mountains ridathon Monday Public Holiday

Postby coops » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:46 pm

joomz wrote:Well done, sounds like a solid ride! Got a Garmin or strava link to post? I'd like to try it sometime...


http://connect.garmin.com/activity/228829363
User avatar
coops
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:53 am
Location: Lalor Park

Re: lower mountains ridathon Monday Public Holiday

Postby Xplora » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:17 pm

^^^^^ :shock: I only just survived my ton and we weren't climbing much :mrgreen:
Xplora
 
Posts: 6308
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: lower mountains ridathon Monday Public Holiday

Postby leximack » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:01 am

Awesome day on the bike. The weather was perfect, wind was calm, no mechanicals and we made it home safe and in one peice. Thanks for coming along Chris, these rides are much more enjoyable when you have someone to talk to along the way. Congrats on getting some personal records too. 160 km and 2000+ meters climbing is a great achievement. We set out to do 5 climbs and we made them all.
Until next time...... :-) :-)

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2
User avatar
leximack
 
Posts: 3347
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:14 pm

Re: lower mountains ridathon Monday Public Holiday

Postby Spiza » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:22 am

Well done gentlemen.

Image

What happened to doing "Glenbrook causeway (both sides)"? Looks like you have some unfinished business... :P
User avatar
Spiza
 
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:46 pm
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

Re: lower mountains ridathon Monday Public Holiday

Postby biker jk » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:34 am

That's a great ride guys. I did 2,000m of climbing and 162km on Monday with some friends. Our route was Hornsby-Galston Gorge-Wiseman's Ferry-Mangrove Mt-Peats Ridge-Calga-Hornsby. Perfect weather for a ride. :D
User avatar
biker jk
 
Posts: 2820
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: lower mountains ridathon Monday Public Holiday

Postby coops » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:19 pm

Spiza wrote:What happened to doing "Glenbrook causeway (both sides)"? Looks like you have some unfinished business... :P


Sheesh, what an oversight! Please make sure you come along for the ride next time Spiz to make sure we don't make any similar mistakes :D
User avatar
coops
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:53 am
Location: Lalor Park

Re: lower mountains ridathon Monday Public Holiday

Postby rogan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:51 pm

A question guys, what was the hardest climb, and where did Bowen Mountain fit in?
Image
rogan
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: lower mountains ridathon Monday Public Holiday

Postby coops » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:05 pm

rogan wrote:A question guys, what was the hardest climb, and where did Bowen Mountain fit in?


Don asked me the same question at the end of the ride. I found it really hard to be objective. The standouts were...

Bowen. It was the first climb of the day and I knew there were plenty more ahead. I was getting worried seeing Don disappearing in the distance as I was dying from lack of breath :oops: .

Old Bathurst. There's no room on the road shoulder and a fair stream of cars. At the start one of my legs gave a twinge clearly indicating that it'd prefer to be on the sofa in front of the TV :roll: . We'd just done the Mitchells Pass descent which seemed to go on for a while and it set up the expectation that the climb was going to continue similarly. Thankfully it was shorter though steeper. It sounded like the cars were struggling getting up that one.

I guess Old Bathurst felt a little steeper than the steepest bit of Bowen, but it's relatively short. On the day it was great having the variety of the different climbs.

biker jk wrote:That's a great ride guys. I did 2,000m of climbing and 162km on Monday with some friends. Our route was Hornsby-Galston Gorge-Wiseman's Ferry-Mangrove Mt-Peats Ridge-Calga-Hornsby. Perfect weather for a ride. :D


Sounds interesting. Any garmin/strava of that one?
User avatar
coops
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:53 am
Location: Lalor Park

Re: lower mountains ridathon Monday Public Holiday

Postby leximack » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:19 pm

coops wrote:
Spiza wrote:What happened to doing "Glenbrook causeway (both sides)"? Looks like you have some unfinished business... :P


Sheesh, what an oversight! Please make sure you come along for the ride next time Spiz to make sure we don't make any similar mistakes :D


dont worry about him Chris, he's just jealous :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
leximack
 
Posts: 3347
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:14 pm

Re: lower mountains ridathon Monday Public Holiday

Postby leximack » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:31 pm

rogan wrote:A question guys, what was the hardest climb, and where did Bowen Mountain fit in?


my order from toughest to softess (not sure if softess is a word but im sticking with it :lol: )

Bowen
Old Bathurst Road (OBR)
Bellbird
hawkesbury lookout
Lapstone

Bowen is hardest as you have about 7km of climbing (gentle grade but still climbing) before you get to the steep stuff. Its would be a tough climb to do at the end of a ride. The last 500m is genuinely steep with out of the saddle grinding at super low cadence

OBR is steep as bowen (probably a bit more possibly) but its fairly short and no climbing before the actual climb itself so you can hit it fairly fresh. Tough as has no shoulder whatsoever and busy with cars. If you need to stop and recover your in trouble. Lots of out of the saddle grinding.

Bellbird is possibly longer than the rest ?? but the gradients are not too bad. You can sit and spin up 95% of it

Hawkesbury lookout is easy and can sit and spin up all of it. No super high grades

Lapstone is a sit and spin also.

There all good climbs in the own way. I prefer these climbs than the gorges as the gorge gradients are too low, i like to get out off the saddle and grind up 20% rather than sit and spin on a 10% climb.
User avatar
leximack
 
Posts: 3347
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:14 pm

Re: lower mountains ridathon Monday Public Holiday

Postby NotFlyingScot » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:18 pm

leximack wrote:
i like to get out off the saddle and grind up 20%


Macho Man :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nnjcKr1UR4
I understand this was recorded the last time the boys went down to Jindabyne for some "grinding" Ahem :wink:
It's just an ugly rumour that I'm on piano accordian. :shock:
FPR Jubilado Bludger
User avatar
NotFlyingScot
 
Posts: 1257
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:36 pm
Location: Kings Langley

Re: lower mountains ridathon Monday Public Holiday

Postby joomz » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:53 pm

coops wrote:Some highlights for me...
- Making it up each climb (eventually). I think we even did all the ones Don wanted to do?
- Seeing Don get dive bombed by a magpie when descending from Kurrajong at about 60kph, then getting hit on the back of the helmet by the same bird.
...


Just did a couple of those climbs myself - they're beauties. Got hit probably by that same grumpy magpie on the way down from Kurrajong. First in the back then in the helmet. First time I've actually been hit by one - I've only ever had warning swoops before. Good thing the road was wet and I was concentrating on not losing it on the descent, so didn't have the headspace to worry about the magpie!
joomz
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:07 am

Re: lower mountains ridathon Monday Public Holiday

Postby TimW » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:50 pm

joomz wrote:
coops wrote:Some highlights for me...
- Making it up each climb (eventually). I think we even did all the ones Don wanted to do?
- Seeing Don get dive bombed by a magpie when descending from Kurrajong at about 60kph, then getting hit on the back of the helmet by the same bird.
...


Just did a couple of those climbs myself - they're beauties. Got hit probably by that same grumpy magpie on the way down from Kurrajong. First in the back then in the helmet. First time I've actually been hit by one - I've only ever had warning swoops before. Good thing the road was wet and I was concentrating on not losing it on the descent, so didn't have the headspace to worry about the magpie!


Strong riding Joomz :shock: :shock: Top effort. The gorge looks like a little bump lol.Thats a HTFU ride for sure.Tim
Image
User avatar
TimW
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Near the M7C

Re: lower mountains ridathon Monday Public Holiday

Postby joomz » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:35 pm

Thanks Tim! Those hills do dwarf the gorges. The old legs still felt the last gorge on the way back though :shock:
joomz
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:07 am

Previous

Return to New South Wales

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit