Sydney weather this morning!!!

sertse

Re: Sydney weather this morning!!!

Postby sertse » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:16 pm

Jawa wrote:
Andrew09 wrote:Beautiful day for riding the 105km Spring Cycle this morning. Calm , overcast conditions for most of the day. The windiest part was crossing the Harbour Bridge.
Rode the 105 also (111 by the time I finished), worst marshaling ever experienced .. I got lost 3 times, even Robbie McEwen went down the wrong road. Asked a "volunteer" at a rest stop which way to go and they had no idea.

Also, it's not the best look when you ride past these marshals and there too busy swiping on their mobiles ... Would have rather saved my 100 bucks and done a 100 km ride on my own
Agreed on those these points. Marshalling and directions was unclear and as someone who realised that I bitten more than I can chew (I was bonked by the 70km mark and just struggling to complete the rest), my awareness was compromised enough without the added stresses.

I also think there were no bananas or food and only gels at rest steps this year compared to previous years. I ought to been prepared but it threw me off a bit, I really needed something solid.

Back to the weather, it was generally fine though I had the shivers in the section coming back from the parkland and through the "trenches", though it could be my body breaking at that point.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:58 pm

Incredibly hot today - had a maximum temperature listed at 36ºC and that was by 9:30am. :shock:

Noticed one rider who had finished his ride and stopped in his car looking pretty bad so turned around and went back to make sure he was alright. :!: He was okay but exhausted, still I figured it was best to do so anyway.

Take care out there people.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:02 pm

Although pre / post dawn it was lovely , started pushing bike from garage about 5:20 only to find a flat rear tyre, almost went back to bed but it didn't take long to change. Saw the first coffee being purchased at 06:05 in centennial park. It should be nice after sunset so might head out for another
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:39 pm

I saw 46ºC indicated just 10 minutes ago, so I don't think I'm going anywhere else today. This mornings quick run at 32.1km/h average was enough. Sweated a heap.

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:47 pm

My motorcycle is unwell so me and panniers full of Stuff I'd normally transport on the motorbike went on the 2 wheel recumbent. Luckily I could take a train some of the way so only a few km in the heat. But alas hilly km! I had to walk up one as a car decided maybe it wanted to turn maybe it didn't at the base of a very steep hill. Walking was harder than riding!

Probably should have taken the trike but it's harder to handle in the train especially if you have to get out the opposite side to where you got in. And for some reason there is no app or web information on that little detail.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:17 pm

I think the worst thing this morning was just how quick the heat rose. I headed off around 5.45 and for a few hours it was pretty pleasant. After 8-30, 9 o'clock though the temperature rose at an incredible rate and I limped home at just after 10 with 38 degrees and fairly humid. Horrible afternoon.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:35 pm

Hergest wrote:I think the worst thing this morning was just how quick the heat rose. I headed off around 5.45 and for a few hours it was pretty pleasant. After 8-30, 9 o'clock though the temperature rose at an incredible rate and I limped home at just after 10 with 38 degrees and fairly humid. Horrible afternoon.
I got home before you, luckily. But my god it has cooled off now, temperature plunged at least 10ºC in a very short time. I had a weather station thing with the sensor outside and was watching the temperature from inside and how quickly it dropped.

caneye

Postby caneye » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:56 pm

Hergest wrote:I think the worst thing this morning was just how quick the heat rose. I headed off around 5.45 and for a few hours it was pretty pleasant. After 8-30, 9 o'clock though the temperature rose at an incredible rate and I limped home at just after 10 with 38 degrees and fairly humid. Horrible afternoon.
yeah, that was my experience too. out of the door by 520. pleasant couple of hours after that. it was 35C by 930. struggled home on the M2 with the heat reflected off the concrete and bitumen.

funnily enough, I bumped into a group of young men holding what appeared to be a downhill skate-boarding competition on the Browns Waterhole shared path (of all places). did anyone come across them?
they were setting up when i rode passed at 930. they were using a blower to clear the path (hooray), had advertising/organiser banners displayed along the path, also had some thick padding secured onto some trees at the sharp turns. it looked pretty well organised. but I was a little concerned that there was no sign or warning to indicate an event was going on. some times you get cyclists flying down the Waterhole descent. perhaps they were counting on minimal traffic due to the 40C forecast? (truth be told, i didn't see any cyclist at Browns and just one on Kissing Pt road)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:34 am

Cripes it is hot and humid this morning. Just a walk from my office over to the bike shop and back, incredibly unpleasant. Where is that melting emoticon when you need it.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:50 pm

Not wrong g-boaf. I had to dress up in the giggle gear & the heat nearly did me in the 1 block walk

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:49 pm

First, albeit brief, use of arm warmers for the year. 14 degrees at Terrey Hills this morning.

march83

Postby march83 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:15 pm

It's going to be hot until it's suddenly not and we're all freezing and complaining.

I've had the warmers out once or twice already, but regretted it pretty quickly.

I'm trying to build up a table of temperatures/conditions and the clothes that I need to wear in those conditions to be comfortable. I want my home automation to scrape the weather conditions and the forecast every morning at 5am and tell me exactly what to wear. So far this "winter" it hasn't been cold enough to give me many opportunities to collect data :(

Warin

Postby Warin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:35 pm

march83 wrote:. So far this "winter" it hasn't been cold enough to give me many opportunities to collect data :(
Careful what you wish for.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:15 pm

march83 wrote:It's going to be hot until it's suddenly not and we're all freezing and complaining.

I've had the warmers out once or twice already, but regretted it pretty quickly.

I'm trying to build up a table of temperatures/conditions and the clothes that I need to wear in those conditions to be comfortable. I want my home automation to scrape the weather conditions and the forecast every morning at 5am and tell me exactly what to wear. So far this "winter" it hasn't been cold enough to give me many opportunities to collect data :(
I had the arm warmers and gillet top last night when it got a bit cooler. I've got enough various cycling kit that I can usually find something that is suitable for the conditions.

I have the suspicion when it gets cold, we are going to be really freezing. I'm liking the pleasant weather at the moment. So much better than this stinking humidity we had months back, I remember riding at 40km/h and having my glasses steaming up while I was moving at that speed. :shock: Not ideal. :)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:13 pm

Warin wrote:
march83 wrote:. So far this "winter" it hasn't been cold enough to give me many opportunities to collect data :(
Well, miserable riding conditions today - windy as anything, really bad and quite cool as well. Definitely challenging. Yesterday was great though.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:09 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Warin wrote:
Well, miserable riding conditions today - windy as anything, really bad and quite cool as well. Definitely challenging. Yesterday was great though.
I skipped the gloves and gillet this morning, remembering yesterday's forecast for today was 25C, and last Thursday night I was overheating badly up the hills.

By the time we got to the West Head turnoff from McCarrs Creek Road I could no longer feel my hands, and the rest of me was starting to freeze from wind chill. Thank heavens we weren't doing the full McCarrs descent. I'd have gone full-on hypothermic.

Won't be doing that again! :oops:

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:35 am

Thursday and Friday were an exception. Back to the cold.
Was interesting riding home Thursday afternoon in thermal bibs and jacket though

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:23 pm

tez001 wrote:Thursday and Friday were an exception. Back to the cold.
Was interesting riding home Thursday afternoon in thermal bibs and jacket though
Yeah, seems that way. Bloody gusty again today as well. :roll: Cold again this morning too and it looks like it'll remain that way for the rest of the week coming up too. At least today the gusts weren't sending me left and right quite as badly as yesterday. Today's minimum temperature I measured with 13ºC and the maximum was 16ºC, average of 15ºC, and that with a very late start (after 11am).

I bet it'll be balmy conditions when I head over to Geneva and then France.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:17 am

Is everyone sleeping in? Weatherman says the temp feels like 1 in my part of Sydney right now

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:25 pm

tez001 wrote:Is everyone sleeping in? Weatherman says the temp feels like 1 in my part of Sydney right now
Yeah, slept in. But did a tough ride yesterday. I'll just do an easy ride today in the afternoon.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:32 pm

This morning the weather app reckoned the temperature feels like -3.3°C. Where I work was -1°C. Very cold.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:09 pm

g-boaf wrote:This morning the weather app reckoned the temperature feels like -3.3°C. Where I work was -1°C. Very cold.
Was pretty chilly on my Monday commute in to work.
Couldn't feel my fingers after about 10 minutes :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:38 pm

Sun, rain, cold, windy - all at the same time today.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:47 pm

What's the deal with the weekend weather lately. Last three weekends on my rides, I've copped the rain. Meaning bike washes every weekend for the past three weeks! That's more than my yearly bike clean regime.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:24 pm

tez001 wrote:What's the deal with the weekend weather lately. Last three weekends on my rides, I've copped the rain. Meaning bike washes every weekend for the past three weeks! That's more than my yearly bike clean regime.
Yeah, what's with that? I come back from France and this miserable weather. I did do 60km - but it was a matter of turning around at the right points to avoid the rain.