Sydney weather this morning!!!

queequeg

Re: Sydney weather this morning!!!

Postby queequeg » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:21 pm

duncanm wrote:
nomadicsoul wrote:The path from Sutherland Rd under the M2 in Epping/Cheltenham is still caked with sticky mud from the recent rains. I went through on Tuesday a bit too fast and had to end up changing when I got to work. It's beginning to dry out now, but there is evidence of people slipping and coming off their bikes - be careful out there!
it'll be freshly renewed (again) today ...

good thing they didn't bother cleaning out the debris from the last flood.
I gave up asking them to schedule a clean after it rains. Lucky if they clean it once a year! Went through this morning and it was a bit sludgy from the weekend.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:25 pm

queequeg wrote:
duncanm wrote:
nomadicsoul wrote:The path from Sutherland Rd under the M2 in Epping/Cheltenham is still caked with sticky mud from the recent rains. I went through on Tuesday a bit too fast and had to end up changing when I got to work. It's beginning to dry out now, but there is evidence of people slipping and coming off their bikes - be careful out there!
it'll be freshly renewed (again) today ...

I gave up asking them to schedule a clean after it rains. Lucky if they clean it once a year! Went through this morning and it was a bit sludgy from the weekend.
I'd actually prefer they get rid of the upstream fencing and just run a bobcat through it once a month. I'm not sure what purpose the fencing serves, other than collecting large pieces of debris, which promptly damage it - and making the job of getting a bobcat or similar in there to clean up the rocks and mud that much harder. There's no downstream fencing, so its not there for safety, surely.

Ultimately, the most idiotic thing is that with all the construction that's gone/going on around there (M2, busway, third track), there will still not be a usable bicycle crossing of Devlins' Creek when its wet.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:47 pm

duncanm wrote:
queequeg wrote:
duncanm wrote: it'll be freshly renewed (again) today ...

I'd actually prefer they get rid of the upstream fencing and just run a bobcat through it once a month. I'm not sure what purpose the fencing serves, other than collecting large pieces of debris, which promptly damage it - and making the job of getting a bobcat or similar in there to clean up the rocks and mud that much harder. There's no downstream fencing, so its not there for safety, surely.

Ultimately, the most idiotic thing is that with all the construction that's gone/going on around there (M2, busway, third track), there will still not be a usable bicycle crossing of Devlins' Creek when its wet.
I have some pictures of the fence the last time it got destroyed. The waterline was up over the 2m depth marker at the Epping tunnel entrance.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:45 am

Gosh, horrible weather this morning. :roll:

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:53 am

Yep, didn't see ONE bike this morning! I reckon that's the first time in close to two years.

Jim

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:12 am

I thought it was a beautiful morning. A pleasant 20°C, just enough rain to keep me cool. Almost made me feel sorry for the poor lost souls sitting mournfully in their cars, rarely breaking into half a trot, staring at the long lines of other stationary cars in front of them.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:47 pm

I was feeling sorry for those poor, drenched cyclists battling their way through the elements while I slept for 45 minutes on a quiet, comfortable, dry, air-con train. :twisted:

Got my fix of cycling on a trainer this morning. :) The rain isn't good for the kilometres though. Average has gone down to 425km/week.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:11 pm

Rain? Yeah there was a bit. But I had fun. Much better than getting stuck for ages in traffic.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:42 pm

I only saw one other cyclist on my through the Inner West this morning. There were very few coming in from the North towards the SHB as well. The upside was that the bike paths were useable.

The Mercedes drivers of Sydney had all their skills on display this morning. There seemed to be some desperate need to get to the next queue of traffic as quickly as possible.

Why is it that motorist behaviour deteriorates in line with the weather?

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:23 am

I'll be glad next weekend when daylight saving comes to an end. I'm getting fed up with it being pitch dark at 6 in the morning, that extra hour next week will be great for a while until the season catches up.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:38 am

Hergest wrote:I'll be glad next weekend when daylight saving comes to an end. I'm getting fed up with it being pitch dark at 6 in the morning, that extra hour next week will be great for a while until the season catches up.
I leave for work at 5:30am, so it is dark for me for pretty much the entire year, with the exception of the couple of weeks just before daylight savings starts in October.
At the moment I am arriving at work before sunrise, so it will be nice to get at least half my ride in some sort of light.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:11 pm

Hergest wrote:I'll be glad next weekend when daylight saving comes to an end. I'm getting fed up with it being pitch dark at 6 in the morning, that extra hour next week will be great for a while until the season catches up.
That will be when I pretty much stop riding during the week. I'll restart when daylight saving returns. My evening rides will otherwise be in complete darkness. :(

I like riding in the morning at 6am or earlier in darkness - traffic is light on the weekend and I have a peaceful run. And I only need the lights for a short time.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:12 pm

Tuesday was foggy on the Pacific Hwy heading to Brooklyn but today it was a good deal thicker on my ride from Terrey Hills to Church Pt. Visibility down to 50 metres in places and my helmet and handlebar tape were quite wet. Thankfully I have a very bright rear light and had a front flasher.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:38 pm

I was working in Clareville today so had to do the godawful drive all the way there along Mona Vale Road form our yard in Auburn. The fog was surprisingly thick up at Terrey Hills this morning. I looked on at the many cyclists at about 8 a.m with great envy.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:19 pm

Cripes, the weather isn't good tonight. I only just made it back before the storms.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:13 pm

Good Uh oh I am in danger of becoming a triathlete as it appears I am swimming home tonight
Anything you can do, I can do slower

danchez

Postby danchez » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:50 am

Wet! If you headed south over the bridge in Sydney before 7am. Cleared up pretty quick though. Rule #9 etc. etc.
Giant Cadex ALR1
Cannondale CAAD4 R2000
Paconi

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:08 pm

I lament the end of daylight saving. With it, my morning run starts in twilight but in the evening run it is in daylight. Much prefer to negotiate the rough, detritus covered, minimal shoulder sections heading up Kissing Point road in good light. From now on it will be dark :(

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:43 pm

Did my regular 0600 ride at work, happily in light rather than pitch black.
Woke at 0530. Checked BOM radar on phone - no rain around Homebush, so up, dress and drive in to work.
Hop on bike, out onto Hill Rd and the rain starts. Stinging as I rode though it. And it was steady.
As I'm recuperating medically, I just had a half hour run, returned soaking wet to work, lock up the bike... and the rain stops. 10 mins later patches of blue sky were seen.
Worst timing ever.

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:30 pm

I had a nice ride this morning. Was a bit wet so took it easy on the turns, but otherwise a nice, fresh morning to start the week after a couple of days off the bike from a pulled shoulder muscle done while cross-fit training.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:25 pm

Am totally over all this rain :-(
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:32 pm

isabella24 wrote:Am totally over all this rain :-(
I went out at 6 a.m and was home by 10. It started to rain for the first time as i rode down our street on my last 200 metres. I was pretty chuffed as it rained on and off for ages after while i sat in the house with a nice cup of tea looking out at it.

Not rubbing it in or anything........:D

It's a long time since i've seen it so green out here.

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:58 pm

So windy today on M7, strangely enough all my Strava records came Northbound....

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:08 pm

Rockford wrote:So windy today on M7, strangely enough all my Strava records came Northbound....
Tell me about it, both yesterday and today.

For me, it was all fine until I got to Guildford then started sprinkling. Stopped when I got to Homebush though.
Having said that, I think Ill hold off on cleaning the this week with this weather!

Forecast has next weekend as sunny, so bring that on!

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:07 am

Nice and cool this morning on the m7 heading to work. At least there was no rain for a change! Yay!
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix