Lower Prospect Canal Closed between Prospect Reservoir and..

stated

Re: Lower Prospect Canal Closed between Prospect Reservoir and..

Postby stated » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:42 pm

What is the speed limit near the traffic crossing?
I remember on this same shared path further west 2.5yrs ago you end up crossing The Horsley Dv at a traffic light, I met a cyclist who said he'd been involved in an accident not once but twice at this same traffic light, that was shocking to hear but not surprising given the traffic light is on a hill and there is a tight bend when coming from the m7 end which has smallish lanes so drivers are challenged and could easily miss the red light if they are distracted. If you ever crossing that light be very careful and don't cross as soon as you have green light, I always wait till the approaching vehicles have slowed right down.

peter

Postby peter » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:52 pm

Is it possible to get to the reservoir outside of the temporary gate opening hours? Say Saturday morning 7am?

Or still need to cut through Pemulwuy? But then the gate on Reservoir Road (near Picrite Close) doesn't open until 10am isn't it?

BrettM

Postby BrettM » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:45 pm

peter wrote:Is it possible to get to the reservoir outside of the temporary gate opening hours? Say Saturday morning 7am?

Or still need to cut through Pemulwuy? But then the gate on Reservoir Road (near Picrite Close) doesn't open until 10am isn't it?
The Sydney Catchment Authority has the following on their website:

Prospect Reservoir Picnic Area, which is owned and managed by Sydney Water, is open to the public every day of the year between 10am and 4.45pm. On weekends and public holidays during Daylight Saving Time only, the picnic area remains open until 6.45pm. Please note

* There is no entry to any of the dams 15 minutes prior to closing time.
* Access to some SCA areas may be restricted from time-to-time due to construction or operational activity, or for environmental reasons.

wombatK

Re: Lower Prospect Canal Closed between Prospect Reservoir a

Postby wombatK » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:29 pm

Don't know for how long (CRAG site suggests mid July), but today it was open.
All the temporary fences were gone, traffic lights are working and Reconciliation Drive is open for traffic with a 60 kph limit.

It's open only as far as the Boral Recycling plant (just beyond the traffic lights), so traffic
levels are very low. Enjoy it before its fully open to the south.

One of the drawbacks of Prospect Reservoir as a cycling destination is the lack of coffee.
A detour up Reconciliation Drive to Butu Wargun Drive, Pemulwuy (http://goo.gl/maps/KOK80)
will find you a snack bar / coffee shop on week days.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:35 pm

Forgive me if I'm not mistaken, but traffic has been going along there for quite a while already, and the traffic lights are also working for quite a long time.

A bridge over there would have been nice, but in a way, we have to accept the way it is. We don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

The bridge would have made that area a lot safer. The traffic isn't the worry at the moment, but other cyclists coming down the hill out of control from the Prospect side is the worry.

TimW

Postby TimW » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:37 pm

Mate it's not that bad, sheesh :roll: :roll: I am grateful there is a cycleway there in the first place, and I get to ride that beautiful ride quite often.Tim

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:59 pm

TimW wrote:Mate it's not that bad, sheesh :roll: :roll: I am grateful there is a cycleway there in the first place, and I get to ride that beautiful ride quite often.Tim
I know - it's been that way for ages, and at least we have it. The crossing isn't really that dangerous. :) And looking at the CRAG site from ages ago, it could have been worse.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:17 pm

Careful on the canal reserve between Cumberland Highway and Holroyd High School area. They are installing power cables underground and have fencing right up against the edge of the shared path.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:27 am

Watch out for snakes on the canal as well. I noticed a red-bellied black Sunday morning around 10:30am past the Gipps Road area slithering across the path. They are out and about.

bradman

Postby bradman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:54 pm

They have quite a few signs warning about snakes on some of the entrance paths to the cycleway, and with summer approaching, I'd beware of any moving "sticks"...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:37 pm

I haven't seen any recently, but I've been mostly out along there in the evenings after 5pm. There is a psycho magpie between the aquaduct and Gipps Road. It is still around there, I think it was busy dealing with other birds today so it left me alone for once.

And there seems to be a big problem with idiots on trail-bikes along there, seen them a few days in a row. :roll: