Newcastle and Hunter Valley Ride Routes

RobM

Newcastle and Hunter Valley Ride Routes

Postby RobM » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:48 pm

Going to see my Nan for her 90th birthday in March - she lives south of Newcastle in Bonnells Bay. Have already pencilled in doing the 85km Loop the Lake on the 10th March 2013. Looks like fun.

Will also be spending some nights in both Newcastle city and up in the Hunter Valley. My partner has agreed that I can ride in the early mornings.

Can anyone point me to some nice ride routes, in particular in the Hunter Valley region? For Newcastle, I could cruise around the city/beach areas or head southbound.

Links to something on Bikely/Strava/MapMyRide etc would be helpful.

Cheers
Rob :mrgreen:

bychosis

Re: Newcastle and Hunter Valley Ride Routes

Postby bychosis » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:10 pm

What sort of distance.

Fernliegh loop track, foreshore ride at the top end of the lake are two great cycle paths for a cruise.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:35 pm

Anything up to 100km is an option. The other half will spend a day getting pampered so I can ride for 4-5hrs no worries.
Around Newcastle it would have to be shorter but thats okay.

Just figured out you can search on Strava for rides other people have done and filter by location. Pretty cool.

bradey_boy

Postby bradey_boy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:16 pm

Hey RobM,

I'm a Bonnells Bay resident, so if your looking for a weekend ride let me know.

The local roads are a little rubbish (surface, shoulder etc) but ok. The Loop the Lake is a good fun ride. Heading out over 'The Gap' into the Hunter Valley and rolling around there is nice. If you wanted to meet your Mrs in Newcastle you can do a loop out and back in to town via Hexham. If you're in Newcastle I would certainly recommend doing a loop around the foreshore/Merewether - beautiful on a sunny day.

There are plenty of Strava segments around so have a look and give me a shout if you want.

(Long time BNA stalker comes out of hiding to offer this response!)

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:29 am

bradey_boy wrote:Hey RobM,

I'm a Bonnells Bay resident, so if your looking for a weekend ride let me know.

The local roads are a little rubbish (surface, shoulder etc) but ok. The Loop the Lake is a good fun ride. Heading out over 'The Gap' into the Hunter Valley and rolling around there is nice. If you wanted to meet your Mrs in Newcastle you can do a loop out and back in to town via Hexham. If you're in Newcastle I would certainly recommend doing a loop around the foreshore/Merewether - beautiful on a sunny day.

There are plenty of Strava segments around so have a look and give me a shout if you want.

(Long time BNA stalker comes out of hiding to offer this response!)
Hi Bradey Boy,
Welcome out of hiding - I stalked for a year before my first post haha.

Thanks for the offer - will you be doing the Loop the Lake this year? The rough plan is a 3 days in Newcastle city, then drive down to Bonnels Bay to stay for 4 days and finishing up in the Hunter Valley for a couple of nights.
Once things are more organised I might give you a message and we can organise a ride. Cant wait to see some of the countryside there.

Cheers
Rob

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:15 am

Hi Rob, Newie and Bonnells Bay are not that far apart so you might not have to move around that much. Think Runcorn to Ipswich (or less) and you pretty much have it.
Maybe we'll catch up on LtL.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

bradey_boy

Postby bradey_boy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:27 pm

Just discovered I'm away the weekend of the Loop :) but if you're around Friday mornin or Sunday evening or after and keen for a ride (or Strava smash session) let me know!