Baulkham Hills --> Loftus

Baulkham Hills --> Loftus

Postby eon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:35 pm

Planning on doing the Johny Warren Classic in a couple of weeks time.

The event starts at 7:30am from Loftus to Jamberoo which is about 100km.

However I'd like to ride to to the start point from Baulkham Hills.

Plan is to leave at 5am.

Option 1
- Go to SilverWater then follow Rockwood Rd.

Option 2
- Go to Homebush then follow Roberts Rd.

Option3
- Get to Parramatta then follow Woodville Rd.

Option4
- go via M7 then M5 but i think this will be too long to make it to loftus by 7:30am (this might be almost 100km already before even starting the event - maybe not.)

Basically I've got 2-2.5hours from 5am to get to LOFTUS from Baulkham Hills.

Any feedback on the roads to LOFTUS would be much appreciated, or other suggested paths.

Thanks !!!! :D
Image
User avatar
eon
 
Posts: 883
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:55 pm
Location: Baulkham Hills

by BNA » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:59 pm

BNA
 

Re: Baulkham Hills --> Loftus

Postby leximack » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:59 pm

Probably homebush and Roberts rd as its probably the most direct but there all pretty crap. Go the shortest way as hopefully at that time of the morning traffic is light.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2
User avatar
leximack
 
Posts: 3239
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:14 pm

Re: Baulkham Hills --> Loftus

Postby The_Eggman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:49 pm

What about Homebush -> Cooks River Cycleway to Botany Bay -> Waterfall route down to Loftus?
The_Eggman
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: Baulkham Hills --> Loftus

Postby hannos » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:02 am

If you can get yourself to Rhodes, I can get you to Loftus (relatively) safely.

http://app.strava.com/activities/38321138

Where I turn off Toronto Parade (at Waratah Street, Sutherland), you should go straight ahead, through Sutherland, along Rawson Avenue to the Princes Highway and Loftus Oval, where your ride starts.

I ride this route in peak hour and consider it the best option (for me).
Personally, I would not ride Roberts Rd / King Georges Rd at any time of the day.
2010 BMC SLC01
Image
User avatar
hannos
 
Posts: 4018
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Baulkham Hills --> Loftus

Postby eon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:36 pm

i've almost given up on this. thanks for the info guys.

hannos wrote:If you can get yourself to Rhodes, I can get you to Loftus (relatively) safely.

http://app.strava.com/activities/38321138

Where I turn off Toronto Parade (at Waratah Street, Sutherland), you should go straight ahead, through Sutherland, along Rawson Avenue to the Princes Highway and Loftus Oval, where your ride starts.

I ride this route in peak hour and consider it the best option (for me).
Personally, I would not ride Roberts Rd / King Georges Rd at any time of the day.


I can get to homebush/rhodes with no issue.
going through google map and the options i laid out, i think i'd prefer to stay away from the main roads.

will check out your route. looks to be a good option. Anything to watch out for if i was to follow that route ?

thanks.
Image
User avatar
eon
 
Posts: 883
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:55 pm
Location: Baulkham Hills

Re: Baulkham Hills --> Loftus

Postby hannos » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:02 pm

The end part of the shared path at Mason Park, near Nth Strathfield is a little bumpy with tree roots causing the surface to buckle. Easy to navigate though.

I do a dodgy from Underwood Rd across Parramatta Rd. I use the ped lights to cross and then go up whatever that little road is called.

There's some rough roads around Belmore. Also on the descent southbound on Kingsgrove Rd downhill to the M5 it's a little rough.

When you get to Hurstville, when you exit Pearl St, an alternate to Forest Rd is to go along the footpath and up King Georges Rd footpath and cross at the ped crossing to Bridge St then head to Penshurst. I usually stick on Forest Rd though as you can usually go faster than the cars during peak hour :)


The rest is all relatively OK.
2010 BMC SLC01
Image
User avatar
hannos
 
Posts: 4018
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Baulkham Hills --> Loftus

Postby eon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:40 am

i think i might get lost with that rout hannos.. certainly looks a safer bet being back streets though.

heres a longer version to loftus but i'm familiar with the M7path

this will give me almost 200 by the time i get to Jamberoo... =) wohoooo.

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=B ... 1&t=m&z=12


this loops out to the M7path then M5 all the way to Fairford/Davies rd. exit..

anyone know if there is a shoulder from M7 to Fairford/Davies exit on the m5...

any comments on the following rds ?
- davies rd
- alfords point rd
- bangoor pass
- river rd

thanks
Image
User avatar
eon
 
Posts: 883
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:55 pm
Location: Baulkham Hills

Re: Baulkham Hills --> Loftus

Postby hannos » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:02 pm

eon wrote:i think i might get lost with that rout hannos.. certainly looks a safer bet being back streets though.

heres a longer version to loftus but i'm familiar with the M7path

this will give me almost 200 by the time i get to Jamberoo... =) wohoooo.

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=B ... 1&t=m&z=12


this loops out to the M7path then M5 all the way to Fairford/Davies rd. exit..

anyone know if there is a shoulder from M7 to Fairford/Davies exit on the m5...

any comments on the following rds ?
- davies rd
- alfords point rd
- bangoor pass
- river rd

thanks



There should be a shoulder on the M5 still.

Davies Rd does not have a shoulder but it might not matter much at that time of the morning. It's 2 lanes each way though. I don't think you can (or should) cross over Henry Lawson Drive on Davies Rd / Alfords Point Rd as there's no shoulder. I *think* you might need to take the exit to Clancy St, turn right onto Henry Lawson Dr, then the on-ramp to back to Alfords Point Rd. Then you just need to get on the Shared Path that crosses the river and takes you up to Illawong but I'm not sure exactly where it starts on the Padstow end. This takes you up to Illawong. Then it might be best to take Old Illawarra Rd through Illawong / Menai until it rejoins New Illawarra Rd as there's no shoulder until there.
Then take Bangor Bypass - there's a shoulder on it. When you hit the bridge you can take the shared path that runs underneath the bridge or, depending on traffic, stay on road and cross in the lane. You should have a fair speed up by then and I doubt there'll be much traffic at that time of morning.
2010 BMC SLC01
Image
User avatar
hannos
 
Posts: 4018
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Baulkham Hills --> Loftus

Postby hannos » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:51 pm

Drove part of your route today.

The Bike path that goes across Alfords Point Bridge actually starts at Clancy St. So take the exit off Davies Rd to Clancy St, cross straight over and jump on the path. That'll take you all the way to Illawong with ease.
2010 BMC SLC01
Image
User avatar
hannos
 
Posts: 4018
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Baulkham Hills --> Loftus

Postby eon » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:46 pm

hannos wrote:Drove part of your route today.

The Bike path that goes across Alfords Point Bridge actually starts at Clancy St. So take the exit off Davies Rd to Clancy St, cross straight over and jump on the path. That'll take you all the way to Illawong with ease.


thanks heaps Hannos...

Not 100% sure which path the JWC event will take but this is my rough route for this weekend
https://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=R ... 1&t=m&z=10

most of the roads should be ok at that time in the morn.

thanks heaps again mate. :D
Image
User avatar
eon
 
Posts: 883
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:55 pm
Location: Baulkham Hills

Re: Baulkham Hills --> Loftus

Postby Beanzy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Just be aware that the m5 has widening works. Whilst the shoulders are still there and speed restrictions are in place, the shoulder width is much reduced
Beanzy

Hillbrick Pista
Trek 1500 (modified)
Giant Yukon
Garmin 305
User avatar
Beanzy
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:21 pm
Location: Riverwood

Re: Baulkham Hills --> Loftus

Postby eon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:48 am

Beanzy wrote:Just be aware that the m5 has widening works. Whilst the shoulders are still there and speed restrictions are in place, the shoulder width is much reduced

thanks mate.

we're opting out with the silverwater rd option all the way. 50kms +100km should be good.
but drove silverwater all the way to bangoor bypass the other night n damn, a little too much road riding for my liking.
should be quiet at that time in the morning but not sure if its worth the risk.

loftus -> jamberoo -then back to loftus might be a better ride.. :wink:

thanks again for the info guys..
Image
User avatar
eon
 
Posts: 883
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:55 pm
Location: Baulkham Hills

Re: Baulkham Hills --> Loftus

Postby hannos » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:16 am

eon wrote:
Beanzy wrote:Just be aware that the m5 has widening works. Whilst the shoulders are still there and speed restrictions are in place, the shoulder width is much reduced

thanks mate.

we're opting out with the silverwater rd option all the way. 50kms +100km should be good.


Silverwater Rd -> Rookwood Rd? I think I'd prefer the marginally narrower M5 shoulder myself...
2010 BMC SLC01
Image
User avatar
hannos
 
Posts: 4018
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 am
Location: Sydney


Return to New South Wales

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter