Weekend Retro rides_Sydney(updates)

TTar

Re: Weekend Retro rides_Sydney(updates)

Postby TTar » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:57 am

frailer5 wrote:Don't worry Mark, we'll get you around it on the day. :) Instantly recognised it from the photo from about 6 years ago when I did the Cooks R. I think it's too narrow to walk your bike through, actually. Walking infrastructure only.
Recently I was amazed to see a quite large rider casually roll through the narrow gap as I approached from the other side. Inspired, I thought I'd see if I could ride through too -- it might have just been possible, but I chickened out at the last moment. :oops:

I propose riding straight through it should be an initiation rite on your ride. And make sure it's fully documented and that the photos are posted here for educational purposes.

Green Rocket Man will be excused, of course, but that thing probably has anti-gravity devices and could just float around it.

Speaking of miraculous spectacles, I think I may have seen Green Rocket Man a few evenings ago. I was down at Guildford station when up the top of the hill, where the Prospect path begins, there appeared the magical sight of two bicycle lights, one white, one red, slung low as if on a recumbent gliding off the bridge. Staring up at the heavens in slack-jawed :o amazement at this fantastical scene I struggled to make out the body of the mysterious vehicle. All I could see in the unearthly light up there was a black-hole-like void where I would have expected to see something of the rider and the recumbent.

Then, as quickly as it had appeared, it was gone. I looked at my watch and two hours had passed in what seemed like just a few seconds to me. :shock:
Sent from my fortified compound

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:29 pm

Sorry
-Quang
-Mark
-Claire
-John and
-Paul

There is a sudden change in my family schedule and I won't be able to make it on Saturday. (Always happens when you have an 9 and 11 YO kids)
Enjoy and see you all next time!

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:42 pm

Too bad, rheicel. :| Best laid plans of... Well, the glitz value of the pack has just dropped a bit. :)
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:06 pm

frailer5 wrote:Too bad, rheicel. :| Best laid plans of... Well, the glitz value of the pack has just dropped a bit. :)
I know Paul. I will try to ride two bike at a time on the next Retro Ride :D

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:37 pm

Sorry to hear you can't make it Rheicel. There's always next time. I'll meet Quang and Mark at Yennora Station at 6:45am and ride down from there.
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:07 pm

TTar wrote:
frailer5 wrote:Don't worry Mark, we'll get you around it on the day. :) Instantly recognised it from the photo from about 6 years ago when I did the Cooks R. I think it's too narrow to walk your bike through, actually. Walking infrastructure only.
Recently I was amazed to see a quite large rider casually roll through the narrow gap as I approached from the other side. Inspired, I thought I'd see if I could ride through too -- it might have just been possible, but I chickened out at the last moment. :oops:

I propose riding straight through it should be an initiation rite on your ride. And make sure it's fully documented and that the photos are posted here for educational purposes.

Green Rocket Man will be excused, of course, but that thing probably has anti-gravity devices and could just float around it.

Speaking of miraculous spectacles, I think I may have seen Green Rocket Man a few evenings ago. I was down at Guildford station when up the top of the hill, where the Prospect path begins, there appeared the magical sight of two bicycle lights, one white, one red, slung low as if on a recumbent gliding off the bridge. Staring up at the heavens in slack-jawed :o amazement at this fantastical scene I struggled to make out the body of the mysterious vehicle. All I could see in the unearthly light up there was a black-hole-like void where I would have expected to see something of the rider and the recumbent.

Then, as quickly as it had appeared, it was gone. I looked at my watch and two hours had passed in what seemed like just a few seconds to me. :shock:
Definitely a sighting. And your Hitchhiker's Guide experience was real, am sure.
Oh, and from memory, that Canterbury underpass path narrows at one end. Deceptive.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:11 pm

Once you guys get to Stacey/Canterbury Rd crossover, when you chuck a left at Gow (T intersection), it crosses the canal. I'll be parked just down on the left. Industrial buildings on the right, power pylons over the green area.
How it's looking, anyway... :|

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:30 pm

Marc2131 is also coming along. We'll be catching a train to Bankstown, arriving about 7.20. Maybe meet Quang and Claire there?

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:15 am

Johnj wrote:Marc2131 is also coming along. We'll be catching a train to Bankstown, arriving about 7.20. Maybe meet Quang and Claire there?
We should arrive at Bankstown by then no worries! Plus the other Mark, in his Green Rocket. South Terrace side at Restwell St.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:14 pm

Just did the 3D flyover on mapmyride. The west-bound return is not looking simple. Was basically trying to follow 2 rail lines back, but looking a bit tortuous. We can maybe try and simplify it, or if a couple of others could do a flyover 'run'.before the morning. There's always the Compass App on iPhone. :D
An alternative is return via the M5 path. That may make more sense. The goal of Vietnamese refuel remains in that option, of course. 8)
The M5 path looks more pleasant a ride. :| Comments, or we can decide tomorrow.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:56 pm

Great ride today, helped by the fact that my return route was abandoned, wisely. Quang managed to score a puncture early. Remedied pretty quickly. Nice to meet Mark, from DHBC.
Almost perfect riding weather, though some difficulties were encountered at the bottom end of Illwarra rd Marrickville, which caused a 45 minute delay.
And thanks to John for the navigating. Was certainly not so simple from Padstow to Earlwood; a few tricky 'which ways?'.
Mark of the Green Rocket unfortunately peeled off before the start point due to a Late Winter Lurgy, realising he should have his feet up, but not in The Rocket; on a couch at home. :(

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:30 pm

Nice photos guys, I manage to catch up with Quang at Silverwater Bridge
:lol:

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:47 pm

I just saw this thread for the first time.

Wouldn't mind dusting off my old steel 'Paino' for a Retro ride at some time in the future (especially if there is Coffee).....if you can cope with another rider tagging along.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if my schedule allows.

Greg.
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:50 pm

It was good to see everyone again, as well as meet Marc, Bill and the rest of DHBC bunch. Ill bring out the Cadex next time to not disappoint :wink: Thanks for the tube and tools Paul. Ill give you a new one back next time. My jersey looks awfully red/brown in the pics. :?

Anyway, looks like I have rode my first century today(~105km, include the return home from SOP, but GPS ran out of batteries), without even planning for it :mrgreen: . Almost bonked at 80km due to not having any food since the night before, and only 500ml of water. Quick fill up on a pork roll, and Im back in the game for the rest of the way home.
http://www.strava.com/activities/78871132" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebilda wrote:I just saw this thread for the first time.

Wouldn't mind dusting off my old steel 'Paino' for a Retro ride at some time in the future (especially if there is Coffee).....if you can cope with another rider tagging along.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if my schedule allows.

Greg.
Feel free to join us. I was actually gonna PM you about today's ride seeing your post on finding a ride near the southern suburbs, but I figured it was a little late notice.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:18 am

Well done on the 100 Kms., Quang. 8) We know how you'll unwind after the HSC now. :D
And Greg, I'd like to see that Paino on a ride sometime.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:40 pm

QuangVuong wrote: Anyway, looks like I have rode my first century today(~105km, include the return home from SOP, but GPS ran out of batteries), without even planning for it :mrgreen: . Almost bonked at 80km due to not having any food since the night before, and only 500ml of water. Quick fill up on a pork roll, and Im back in the game for the rest of the way home.
http://www.strava.com/activities/78871132" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hey Quang, congrats on your first century!! That's an excellent effort! I know how hungry I was when we stopped for the pork rolls and I had brekky, so you must have been starving. You did well, I'm looking forward to the next ride :-)
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:06 pm

I am thinking of this route for the next Retro Ride, what do you think? This route s something that I have done for so many times and good this is 95% dedicated bike/shared route.

Can start at SOP, then we can do clockwise or anti-clockwise direction. Also this is close to any train station if ever someone do not want to complete the 50 km ride.

Highlights
1. Cooks River Cycleway
2. Bourke Street Cycleway
3. Sydney City
4. Sydney Harbour Bridge
5. M2/Epping Cycleway
6. Sydney Olympic Park
Last edited by rheicel on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:28 pm

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:36 pm

If we are doing counter clockwise, I think there is no problem on the Harbour Ramp. :twisted:

Yes Bruce, it is about 50+ km. It is shorter in actual ride tho. If anyone want it longer, we can stretch it to Chatswood and Lane Cove National Park. Or if shorter, we can try route to your place then Anzac, then Harbour Bridge.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Who is volunteering to carry recumbenteer down or up the stairs on the harbour bridge ? :D If I have your route mapped correctly, its about 57 km.

Yes slaves.... lift and carry me, work for your meals.... LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've dragged the RV up the stairs..... its good for a laugh

popcorn anyone? :lol:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Looks like a good route Rheicel. I'd be keen to give it a go.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:44 pm

Mark, I will help out to carry the capsule.

Claire, I am sure, you are already familliar with some of the segments. Riding along Harbour Bridge is always special to me.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:07 pm

I'll be going away in just over 2 weeks. 'To-do' list is too long. I'll have to catch up with everyone on return. Looks like a good one though, rheicel.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi Paul, yeah. Shall we wait on your return?
Guys, shall we lock-in the date now?