Weekend Retro rides_Sydney(updates)

Joe H

Re: Weekend Retro rides_Sydney(updates)

Postby Joe H » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:26 pm

Thanks for the help on the images and many thanks for showing me one of the truly great bike-path loops in the city. I'll post two pictures of the four hearty souls that braved the early clouds for what turned out to be a really nice ride. The old lugged steel acquitted itself nicely - and so did the riders. Looking forward to the next one!

Finally one timed picture with Joe actually getting in the shot:

The obligatory lunch stop:

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:04 pm

Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:17 pm

Thanks Paul (from Hornsby) for organising and nice to meet you also Joe (from Chatswood), Johnj (from Croydon), always a pleasure. Weather was just right, one light shower on the return after brunch. I got a puncture and had a minor issue with my RD not springing back to take up chain tension. 4 hrs total including two good stops, about 30k I'd guess. Will do it again for sure :D

Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:49 pm

Looks like you guys had a good time and some good food at Canley.

Hopefully I'll be able to join in next time.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:55 am

Yep, that would be great, Quang. It was a good first ride. Barely got rained on, a minor miracle. That track is a bit of a gem in a path-starved Sydney, though I think traffic was down due to the weather. Next one mooted for possibly Sun 24/3, though may be the following Sunday due to Tempe event.
A very congenial bunch of guys to ride with. :)
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

MoeJoe

Postby MoeJoe » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:20 pm

Joe H wrote: Image if it's looking to be dry(ish)
Joe
Joe, your Merckx is utterly beautiful. 8)
Hope you get many enjoyable km's out of that work of art on wheels.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:38 pm

frailer5 wrote:Yep, that would be great, Quang. It was a good first ride. Barely got rained on, a minor miracle. That track is a bit of a gem in a path-starved Sydney, though I think traffic was down due to the weather. Next one mooted for possibly Sun 24/3, though may be the following Sunday due to Tempe event.
A very congenial bunch of guys to ride with. :)
24th will work for me.

However, if you push it to next week it's Easter.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:23 pm

Brief drive down Kyeemagh way yesterday to fill in a half hour. Good memories of the bike path from the end of Cooks River, into the Botany Bay area.
Tentative suggestion, say, a Croydon-ish start, follow through to Tempe/Qantas Drive path/Mascot/Botany Rd(wide and quiet at the southern end on a Sunday morning)/then maybe Yarra Bay---> return.
Comments and updates. Andy has suggested roughly 4-weekly, so maybe weekend after Easter.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Radical suggestion, maybe a ride to the Sydney Classic Bike show

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:34 pm

find_bruce wrote:Radical suggestion, maybe a ride to the Sydney Classic Bike show
I think it's a bit busy for me that weekend. Thinking W/end after Easter may work better. Pretty sure I have commitments the morning of the Show. :|
But if others want to organise something, that would work..., then still do the one 2 weeks later.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:48 pm

No worries - my shogun is in no condition to show so I am planning to ride there along the cooks river path. Happy to meet up with anyone along the way.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:51 pm

My exam period is from the 28th of March to the 11th of April. But the weekend youve got planned is fine. The next exam will be on Wed, so Ilve got plenty of time.

Joe H

Postby Joe H » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:54 pm

Thanks for keeping this thread/effort alive guys. I'm still trying to make a brief appearance at the retro bike show on the 23rd but it's looking slim. I would be available on the 24th but I'll have to see about the weekend after Easter. I've gotten rid of the red/white Malvern Star but have a much older no-name, Kermit the Frog green 10 speed now for rain rides so all is well regardless of the weather. I'm not that familiar with Sydney so I'm afraid I can mostly offer moral support and company rather than ride suggestions. Once this gets going a bit more, I can lead a ride around Chatswood, Lane Cove, Epping Road area. Mostly bike paths but a couple of pretty good hills (Lane Cove Park up to Chatswood is a steep couple of kilometers). But better to stay on the flats until all the old steel (and legs) gets fixed up.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:54 am

Would that Kermit the Frog bike have frog decals on it? I've got a yellow and white Albion Cycles(Frog Logo)10 speed that Ive got absolutely no info on. Came with Sunrace parts(the ones which are a direct copy of the 600 Arabisque).

Joe H

Postby Joe H » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:36 pm

QuangVuong,

No frog stickers or any other decals. The owner's Dad said his son repainted it years ago and they went then. it used to be dark green before the current frog-green. I stayed with the new color because it was easiest. I have no idea who made the bike but it was obviously well suited to the mountains. It's got a five speed read cluster with the largest spacing between cogs I've ever seen. It's got a seriously low granny gear and since it weighs around 30 pounds that's good. components are a miss-mash: Dia-Comp stem and breaks, Shimano "finger tip" stem shifters, a Suntour "spirt" front derailleur, an "Eagle II" rear der, and cranks simply marked "Japan." I spent some time adjusting the components and just replaced the tires. It rides really well considering it's age and the small amount of investment. I doubt I'll ever know who made it though.

I've got a seat and tape on order...

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:46 pm

IT'S ON AGAIN. Being easter long weekend, I would guess many of you have plans for the weekend. For those that have about 3hrs available on THIS Sunday for a retro ride I propose we do the same route as previous. That is unless the available riders are from an area that differs greatly, I think it's fairly central. I/We hope to move this ride to many areas to accommodate ppl from different locations and also vary the ride and terrain. So if I may suggest....
This Sunday 31st April
Meeting Point : Merrylands High School, follow the bike path/ water course out towards Prospect Resivoir, Faifield via Canley Vale and return.
Time : 6.30 departure, so pls arrive with time to get ya self and bike ready to depart.
Self supported so bring all yr needs.
Easy Pace

Alternative routes/dates and suggestions are most welcome :D

If you plan to go ahead with 'this' ride then Pls PM me a contact # just so we can keep in touch, ie running late or inclement weather
Myself, Def' in atm, working just after lunch so ..................
Sadly, Frailer5 is out due to health
.over to you...............

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:06 pm

Paul, do get well soon.

Andy, I should be fine for that day.

Joe H

Postby Joe H » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:19 pm

I talked my wife into the early morning wake-up so we'll be there. The weather looks to be great. My wife is all sorted for a retro ride:

We'll be the blurry-eyed couple looking tired! See you there.

Joe

sunho

Postby sunho » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:24 pm

Wooow loving the colour coordination there

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:32 pm

Cool! Sunho, you able to do it this time? I could grab the Biopace rings off ya!

sunho

Postby sunho » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:46 pm

Sorry mate. I can't do Sundays. I'll try I'd I can but I have religious committments that's why.

Joe H

Postby Joe H » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:52 pm

I wouldn't recommend any changes to the Easter ride as the date is too close but my wife and I almost had to back out due to services as well. We found a anticipatory service and have a baby-sitter lined up for Sunday, but if Saturdays could be worked in during future rides, it would be a bit easier for us. Maybe after this ride I'd be able to make all of the correct turns and guide out a Saturday ride?

But as it is, I really appreciate that there is a small group of like-minded guys who are willing to take this sort of thing on - thanks and see you Sunday morning.

Joe

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:58 pm

I may be able to make this. I'll let you know closer to the day.

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:25 pm

sunho wrote:Sorry mate. I can't do Sundays. I'll try I'd I can but I have religious committments that's why.
Sunho, Saturdays are an option for sure. Hopefully the numbers and interest will build and might I suggest a monthly Sat'y ride as well as Sund'y, who knows?
It may even be bimontly/seasonal. All interested parties are welcome with a retro interest/passion/obsession/overindulgance :wink:

Joe, kudos to you for having a cycling missus who will forgo a sleep in to roll around with old farts on old bikes 8)

JJ, uknowuwantto, surely u hav 'a' bike fit for the queen of Croydon, :P

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:29 pm

You guys may be old farts, but I certainly aint. :mrgreen:

Saturdays are fine for me as well!