Weekend Retro rides_Sydney(updates)

frailer5

Re: Weekend Retro rides_Sydney(updates)

Postby frailer5 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:34 pm

I'd be buying a tray-full, right now.
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:54 pm

My mate Dave is coming along too. We're training it, might be a few minutes after 7.30

Sat 20th Sep: Isabella24, Hergest, QV, Green Rocket, Paul (frailer5), Claire_au :D; Steve L-J 8), Jimmy(Sweep), Zebee, minhyy, ivan, Johnj, Bruce, BFV, Dave

Claire_au

Postby Claire_au » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:34 pm

Because I'm new at this....ummm...where are we meeting? Wigram street? Parramatta. Or Harris Park? I'll look out for the old bikes. What's the meeting point? Or do I follow the smell of pies? :)

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:40 pm

Meeting/leaving at 7:30am at the little park on the corner of Parkes and Wigram St opposite the Kennards. You should see a small group of us around somewhere there.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:44 pm

Claire_au wrote:Because I'm new at this....ummm...where are we meeting? Wigram street? Parramatta. Or Harris Park? I'll look out for the old bikes. What's the meeting point? Or do I follow the smell of pies? :)
Pretty much right about here (as Quang says opposite Kennards) Have sent you a PM with my mobile if you run into any problems

Cheers

Bruce
Anything you can do, I can do slower

for_sleep

Postby for_sleep » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:15 pm

Bit last minute, but gonna join the crowd :)

Sat 20th Sep: Isabella24, Hergest, QV, Green Rocket, Paul (frailer5), Claire_au :D; Steve L-J 8), Jimmy(Sweep), Zebee, minhyy, ivan, Johnj, Bruce, BFV, Dave, Austyn

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:53 am

don't mess with da clique - nice to see such a big turnout :wink:

+++ to claire 2, everything was on point today. such souplesse always in the big ring with a 13-19 (correct me if i'm wrong) Record equipped steelie and 70s Farrah Fawcett vibes with the old jersey and jeans
Last edited by minhyy on Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:13 pm

minhyy wrote:don't mess with da clique - nice to see such a big turnout :wink:

+++ to claire 2, everything was on point today. such souplesse always in the big ring with a 13-17 (correct me if i'm wrong) Record equipped steelie and 70s Farrah Fawcett vibes with the old jersey and jeans
So it's retro bikes and retro women, Minh? Have I got some websites you need to look at!

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:56 pm

That was good fun and was great to see so many, thanks for the ride.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Sweep

Postby Sweep » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:06 pm

Thanks a lot for the ride today, definitely was fun and good to meet people. :)

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:34 pm

Terrific turnout. New faces... 8) Cafe was the right choice too.. See you on the next one. And shall keep an eye on that CBD thingy in 2 weeks, John.

zebee

Postby zebee » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:01 pm

Alas I couldn't make it.

It is a good thing work pay me good money because they are making my weekends very difficult right now.

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:10 pm

Thanks all, learnt some routes I didn't know and met a pile of new people. Some nice bikes, I was particularly taken by Claire's yellow Ken Evans, Minh's Rod Martin and Austyn's Jim Bundy. Thanks to Austyn for guiding Dave and I back via Sydney Olympic Park. The ride I mentioned was the "History of Cycling ride" early on Sunday 12 October, Sydney CBD finishing by 10am. This is part of the Sydney Rides festival. More details here.

Claire_au

Postby Claire_au » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:33 am

I had a blast....from the past. I met some very nice people and there was some bicycle appreciation going on there. Of particular note were Minh's Martin, Qunag's personalised bike, Austin's Jim Bundy. I'd seen Quang's bike on one of the facebook forums. Lots of new faces, and of particular note were young faces of Claire1, Minh and Quang, the latter of which was the envy of all of us for his ability to eat hot chips whenever he cared to and still be the trimmest of the lot of us. I was struggling up a hill when Minh and Austyn shot past like lightning without even raising a sweat. And there was Peter, the only one of us using traditional toe clips, and me being rather impressed with his ability to navigate even through traffic and be deft at getting in and out of those clips with ease. As the group strung out along the route I was impressed with Claire 1's fitness, and when we did eventually catch up she was chatting merrily away fresh as a daisy. Lots of nice new faces, and cafe chat, and a nice start to a saturday morning.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:08 am

Claire_au wrote:I was struggling up a hill when Minh and Austyn shot past like lightning without even raising a sweat.
Isnt that because of your tiny rear cogs?
Claire_au wrote:As the group strung out along the route I was impressed with Claire 1's fitness, and when we did eventually catch up she was chatting merrily away fresh as a daisy.
Wait until she goes up a hill. :shock:

Anyway, it was a nice morning for the biggest retro ride turnout yet. Nice to see everyone again, and meet the retro Claire and Steve(or is it Stephen?).

Ill see whoever is coming along that History of Cycling ride on the 12th. Prob be riding my Kenevans TT bike, or the Kestrel 4000.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:10 am

You caught me and Quang mid-munch there, Johnj. :lol: Should be good for that Sunday 12 thing.. (uh, oh, better get onto that Miyata work... :oops: )

Claire, eating hot chips and remaining trim is to do with age, a bit. Quang's reply when I suggested that he wouldn't have to worry about a certain older-male carcinoma for a while yet (how did that become a breakfast topic?), was; "What, like half a century?" Hilarious. :roll:

Claire_au

Postby Claire_au » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:34 pm

Quang said: "Isnt that because of your tiny rear cogs?"

Yeah, that's one factor. The other three are age, gravity, and failure to eat my spinach. :D
Frailerf said: " Claire, eating hot chips and remaining trim is to do with age, a bit." I thought it was because he was channeling his inner tape worm. :D

Cheers!

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:01 pm

Claire_au wrote: As the group strung out along the route I was impressed with Claire 1's fitness, and when we did eventually catch up she was chatting merrily away fresh as a daisy. Lots of nice new faces, and cafe chat, and a nice start to a saturday morning.
Lol, I'm not that fit, and i'm not that young either - being mid 30's :-) I did like chatting to you at the cafe though and it was great to have another female join the group - especially one that is so beautiful and has such a gorgeous retro bike! And its got your name on it (and it is Cla-i-re, not Clare YEAH)!! I am totally jealous! Unfortunately, the large majority of older bikes are not available in my size (47cm) hence I ride a newer bike. So now I've got my sights set on a new titanium framed something, hopefully Lynskey.

Thanks for the great ride everyone, keep it up :-)
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:42 pm

Just a heads up for anyone going to the vintage ride from Darlinghurst on Sunday... commitments, so won't be making it. I think marc and johnj were looking after numbers.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:58 am

Where to this month?

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:53 pm

QuangVuong wrote:Where to this month?
How about Bobbin Head? A pain for many of us to get to, I know, but it would be something different! Just a thought.
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:22 pm

isabella24 wrote:
QuangVuong wrote:Where to this month?
How about Bobbin Head? A pain for many of us to get to, I know, but it would be something different! Just a thought.
Start from Meadowbank Station and it's about 50km return, then you have options to get to the start and from the finish. Bobbo is a nice ride.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:09 pm

What route are you used to (Meadowbank->Bobbin Head), bfv? I live in the Hornsby area. My view (wussy, perhaps), is that south of Hornsby, barring Bobbin Hd Rd., is cycling no-man's-land. The Pacific Hwy follows the ridge line. It's pretty much 'S' lanes the entire length to Chatswood; bicycle unfriendly. Either side the ridge drops away to steep catchment gullies either side, except for the small plateau that Bobbin Head Rd runs through.
I cycle to work from Hornsby to Mount Kuring-gai, old highway. Mostly marked cycle lane; some crappy bits that could do with resurfacing, but a pretty nice ride. Beyond Mt Ku. you can go to Cowan. Less traffic once you're past the F3 on-ramp, but no cycle lane.
One possible scenario is Hornsby station --> Cowan --> back to Mt Colah --> Bobbin Head --> climb out back up to Bobbin head Rd --> Turramurra Stn.. disperse to home(s).
The only downside, as Isabella24 says, is a bit out of the way for most.
There are a LOT of cyclists up there, but at least a lot of it's dual lane+cycle at side. Climbing out of Bobbo is pretty twisty/narrow, but at that time, most vehicular traffic should be coming in (down) on the climb out. Bobbin Hd gates to Turra Stn is a nice easy finish. Be ready for, amongst others, the Turramurra Cyclery hordes. Genghis Khan would be envious. A sizeable minority of them are legends in their own minds. It's such a large group that they seem to break up into packs, starting at different times. Just adding some local colour...
From Strathfield you can get a Central Coast quickie to Hornsby. They can, however be a bit crowded. Alternatively, a train from Blacktown/Parra, no changes, to Hornsby. But on that line you gotta watch the Macquarie trains alternating a bit. I know, I've done it... :oops:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:28 pm

I like the idea of meadowbank to bobo, stopping to pick up those from Hornsby, esp as I cant do razorback this Sat (SWMBO birthday).

When were you thinking?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:20 pm

I go from Meadowbank, through Eastwood, Vimera Rd to the Lane Cove Valley Walk (which goes across Terrys Creek), Kissing Pt Rd up to Turramurra, then a couple of back roads to Bobbin Head Rd, then Bobbin Head. You're right, there are quite a few bunches that do the ride. Maybe somewhere quieter?