Damn Prospect Dam

wombatK

Re: Damn Prospect Dam

Postby wombatK » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:39 pm

g-boaf wrote:Going to do some more pushing of Fairfield council to get the missing bit of path in between Cowpasture road along Horsley Drive to meet up with the existing Parklands track that we use. That will remove the need for a very lengthy diversion.

I did see a heck of a lot of bikes along the T-Way this morning and even more slowly grinding away up the Elizabeth Drive climb to the M7. Did that many really previously use the path alongside Horsley Drive (the one you used, Hergest)? :shock:
Would be great to see a cycleway up the Horsley Drive from Cowpasture Rd to the traffic lights, so please keep pushin'

In the meantime, there is a safer and only slightly longer route through the Lizard Log playground area, as shown in
my old commute Yagoona to Eastern Creek
It uses a bridge across the water canal that's usually open - downside is that it's gravel surfaced, and you've got
about 20 m or so of grass to cover to get to it, and Lizard Log is locked up overnight (open around 7:30 am IIRC, closed
around 5:30). So not brilliant in wet weather or out of hours.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:57 pm

Oh yes, I know that route - that's a great one. Shame about it being locked at night, but otherwise really good. :D

I will push them during the week (emails, a few letters (to council and the local MP) along with the local newspapers if need be.

I put a suggestion about that extension to the cycleway on the Go! Fix app - so make sure you all vote for it:

edit: the issue:
http://seeclickfix.com/issues/744923" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This by the way is my route down to the M7 if I want a shorter run:

http://app.strava.com/activities/87482454" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I still get Shut up Legs segment in there, but miss the good ones like the downhill sprints (which are really fun). ;)

The Elizabeth Drive route is alright too. Same as above, except a right turn at Elizabeth Drive with a nice steady climb at the end of it. :) On the way back it is a really fast downhill run.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:48 pm

Okay, reported to Fairfield City Council, with compliments on the great work they've already done and a link to the issue above. Let's see what they come back with.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:11 pm

g-boaf wrote:
This by the way is my route down to the M7 if I want a shorter run:

http://app.strava.com/activities/87482454" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is that following the T-Way?
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:16 am

Yes, it is. Relatively painless route. It can be fun too if you sprint between the lights. The last bit before Hoxton Park Road, take the Tway road instead of the path to save time.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:39 am

g-boaf wrote:Yes, it is. Relatively painless route. It can be fun too if you sprint between the lights. The last bit before Hoxton Park Road, take the Tway road instead of the path to save time.

Thanks for that but i think i will have to look a couple of times at the map again. I've got today off so this morning early i took the mutt for a walk along the canal from home as far as the Cumberland Highway and back and noticed that the cancer ride signs are out for the weekend and thought once home i would go out for a ride and follow them. I got to Reconciliation Road and was directed to the T-Way so this was now all new to me. A big arrow pointed me straight down Davis Road, a truly hideous few kilometres with very heavy truck movements and the wide verge full of vehicles all the way. The end is a dead end so i had to ride back again. I assume there are some more signs to go out before the weekend as Davis Road is surely not on the route as it goes nowhere.

So back to the T-Way which i follow up until Victoria Street and then there's nothing. Not a sign, bugger all, just a red bus lane on that horrible busy road. I cross onto the bus lane and take that down the road until a set of lights where the bus lane ends and you either have to battle with the heavy traffic or go home. I went home.

I see now looking at your map that i should have looked for a path that took me off Victoria Street and around towards Hoxton Park Road. Really though for first time users of that route it is very, very poorly signed and it can become far too dangerous to attempt to find your own way.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi Hergest,
Here are some more maps:

http://connect.garmin.com/course/4959300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (via Elizabeth Drive).
http://connect.garmin.com/course/4959300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (via full T-Way and Hoxton Park Road)

(Credit to Zozza for making me aware of that second route). :)

Hope those are helpful. The first one will give you more of the M7 including the high speed bits. The last one still gives you the final climb and the important "shut up legs" segments but misses out on the high speed parts.

By the way, the Horsley Drive bit (link the two sections of shared path together) is with RMS at the moment.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:57 pm

Thanks for those. I shall try one of them either tomorrow or on sunday.

TimW

Postby TimW » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:59 pm

g-boaf wrote:Hi Hergest,

(Credit to Zozza for making me aware of that second route). :)

This could be the start of a meaningful bromance :mrgreen:

moya

Postby moya » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:20 pm

Here are some more maps:

http://connect.garmin.com/course/4959300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (via Elizabeth Drive).
http://connect.garmin.com/course/4959300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (via full T-Way and Hoxton Park Road)
Those two links are the same :?:

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:05 pm

In that case i shall try them both at the same time :D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:49 pm

moya wrote:
Here are some more maps:

Doh! I'll fix it tomorrow. I'm dead tired.
TimW wrote:This could be the start of a meaningful bromance :mrgreen:
I'm nice to everyone, aren't I?

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:49 am

So that worked out well. Up and out early this morning, i found the path that goes from the top of the T-Way down to The Horsley Drive and then i went through the Lizard Log car park ( the pathway with the bollards is tight, a fat person wouldn't be able to squeeze through) and up the cycleway to get back on The Horsley. I see now the missing part of that path which forces you to go through the Western Sydney Parklands. It was rather nice riding through the parklands as a big orange sun rose through the mist on an idyllic morning. Then to the bottom of the M7, back up getting off on Cowpasture Road and then following that pathway all the way back to the T-Way. A lovely 60 km 2 hour ride, back home for breakfast.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:31 am

I know that way through the car park. It's not bad.

I didn't go anywhere this morning - woke up too late, too tired and it's now too warm. Maybe tomorrow.

TimW

Postby TimW » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:13 pm

g-boaf wrote:
moya wrote:
Here are some more maps:

Doh! I'll fix it tomorrow. I'm dead tired.
TimW wrote:This could be the start of a meaningful bromance :mrgreen:
I'm nice to everyone, aren't I?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:20 pm

Watch out for the little switch-backs section near the end of the Canal cyclway (going down to Hyland Road and across the T-Way).

It is very nearly blocked at the moment by construction work. You can just walk through there. Also, in the same location, the canal cycleway is having that appalling bumpy section of hotmix removed and something hopefully smoother put in place..

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:29 pm

Just a note - you can get through "Lizard log" section of Western Sydney Regional Park. The gate on Cowpasture Road shuts at 7:00pm at this time of the year, but pedestrian access is 24 hours through those tightly packed bollards. The other end of the track on Horsely Drive was open when I came through at around 8:15pm.

Be warned - it is extremely dark. Almost need two front lights.

ab012

Postby ab012 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:18 am

decided to take a look this morning.

Sign at gate:

"Grounds closed, West East cycleway OPEN only"

except they forgot to unlock it....

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:32 pm

Went through the Chandos Rd side today, and while the signs have been taken the gate is still locked.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:11 pm

tez001 wrote:Went through the Chandos Rd side today, and while the signs have been taken the gate is still locked.
Yep, i did that a week or two ago when i noticed the big sign has gone. It's doubly annoying as you have to ride back up that steep pinch. Sydney Water are as much use as a chocolate teapot and i get the feeling that they are loathe to open the reservoir back up to the public.

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:00 pm

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslo ... 7245834867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

march83

Postby march83 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:39 am

can someone who knows please clarify the entry/exit points that have been opened as of monday? I'm heading out to the M7 this afternoon from parramatta and south of the reservoir and chandos sounds like more fun than huntingwood and the GWH.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:28 am

march83 wrote:can someone who knows please clarify the entry/exit points that have been opened as of monday? I'm heading out to the M7 this afternoon from parramatta and south of the reservoir and chandos sounds like more fun than huntingwood and the GWH.
Entry points are Chandos rd or Reconciliation Dr at the other end.

So from Parra, down any of the roads to the M4 path, then you can go along the railway line past Merrylands and Guildford station and then onto the Greystanes canal path. Once your at the end of the Greystanes canal path, the entrance to the reservoir is directly opposite.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:50 pm

Hooray!

unbent

Postby unbent » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:17 pm

Hergest wrote:Hooray!
Hip Hip