When will M2 reopen...

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: When will M2 reopen...

Postby Boognoss » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:11 am

Just phoned the M2 information line. The fellow on the other end wasn't terribly confident in his own knowledge but did indicate that he thinks it's open westbound the whole way from today. I'll find out for myself this arvo when I give it a go from Delhi Rd. First time I'll have ever ridden the M2 westbound uninterrupted from the start up the Pennant Hills Rd. I hope.

I noticed inbound this morning when crossing Beecroft Rd that the barricades for the bike entrance to the M2 westbound at that point had been removed.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

AK900

Postby AK900 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:23 am

Boognoss wrote:Just phoned the M2 information line. The fellow on the other end wasn't terribly confident in his own knowledge but did indicate that he thinks it's open westbound the whole way from today. I'll find out for myself this arvo when I give it a go from Delhi Rd. First time I'll have ever ridden the M2 westbound uninterrupted from the start up the Pennant Hills Rd. I hope.

I noticed inbound this morning when crossing Beecroft Rd that the barricades for the bike entrance to the M2 westbound at that point had been removed.
Looks like the barricade westbound at Lane Cove Rd has also been removed.

I'll be there this afternoon too and looking forward to doing Delhi Rd to Pennant Hills Rd on the M2 again :D

trek52

Postby trek52 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:21 pm

15 min quicker st Leonard's to kellyville tonight :)

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:38 pm

From this a couple of weeks ago on the same bike for fairest comparison:

http://app.strava.com/activities/67964579

To this today

http://app.strava.com/activities/70615693

11 mins shaved off and a couple of km. 29kph average on a commute for the first time in years.

Half a win.

Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

rogan

Postby rogan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:42 pm

I reckon I gained 6 to 7 minutes just in the Beecroft Rd to Pennant Hills Rd section, ahem, possibly last week. Over the full distance Delhi to PH Rd... Historically, I reckon it's 27 minutes door to door instead of 45+ and 18 km down to 16 km. Home and work both within 2.5 km of the M2.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:22 pm

I did the M2 Westbound tonight as well. The first time I ever been able to ride Westbound as I started cycling after they closed the M2 Westbound in 2007.

I went from Delhi Rd to Pennant Hills Rd. My speed ranges from 25 to 45km/h and I came off the M2 at Pennant Hills Rd 40min ride time from Nth Sydney. Avg speed was 29.2km/h at that point, a good 7km/h quicker than the detour route, and not bad considering the pannier bag, heavy tyres and 46T big ring.

I thought the M2 would cut down the distance by a few km as well, but because it takes me further south than the detour, the total distance works out roughly the same. The ride time was about 12 minutes quicker. Elapsed time was about 20min quicker. It was great having no stops from Nth Ryde to Pennant Hills.

I was shattered after powering all that way, so whilst I am not doing hill climbing I think the M2 gives me a chance to put the hammer down and get home quicker.

Of course, the promised upgrade has not had much effect for motorists as I was whizzing past stationary cars from about Murray Farm Rd Overpass onwards.

The new road shoulder is great. All the cyclist marking and signs are up, and the overhead message boards for motorists were warning them to watch for cyclists at the off-ramp crossing points.

The Norfolk tunnel was great. All the drain grates are at level grade with the road surface and you can ride over them. The old drains were sinkholes!

So, I'll probably use the M2 westbound from now on. Will have to give it a go on my road bike without all the panniers and mudguards etc slowing me down. I should be able to hold mid to high 30's avg speed all the way to Pennant Hills Rd. Tonight I was toast as I coasted up to the lights!

Paul
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:35 am

Just rode Windsor Rd to Delhi Rd eastbound this morning. Concrete barricades protecting the shoulder in the works section east of the tunnel but no equipment yet. Also the left lane of the three is blocked too and it would be easy to ride to the left of the barriers (as I did from pennant hills rd to the works area). Passed a police car that was camped near Wicks Rd before Delhi Rd offramp that didn't bat an eyelid. I'll be doing this again (a lot).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:10 am

Boognoss wrote:Just rode Windsor Rd to Delhi Rd eastbound this morning. Concrete barricades protecting the shoulder in the works section east of the tunnel but no equipment yet. Also the left lane of the three is blocked too and it would be easy to ride to the left of the barriers (as I did from pennant hills rd to the works area). Passed a police car that was camped near Wicks Rd before Delhi Rd offramp that didn't bat an eyelid. I'll be doing this again (a lot).

Where is the actual works site? I couldn't see anything when I went westbound last night.
I also saw a Highway Patrol car last night, hiding near Wicks Rd, invisible to motorists coming from Delhi Rd. Rather sneaky.

Just checked my GPS and saw that I averaged 34.5km/h from Delhi Rd to Pennant Hills Rd. Not bad considering the drag caused by the pannier bag!

Eastbound will be a bit tricky once they start on the Lane Cove Rd On-Ramp. It is not much use to me in the mornings unless I can go all the way to Delhi Rd.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

When will M2 reopen...

Postby Boognoss » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:15 am

The works area is immediately west of the Browns Waterhole exit path area where the M2 surface has been built up on the embankment. The retaining wall they're working on supports the M2 roadway. :-/

I'll post here when anything changes but the whole way is currently a viable option currently and perhaps Christie Rd would be a good exit once the new work starts. The gate at Browns looks to be padlocked to prevent entry to eastbound lanes.

trek52

Postby trek52 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:37 am

mate my intel is that machinary will be there in the next few days :(

I think the best option will be to ride down to Beecroft rd and up the on ramp and back to epping tunnel :(

I am so angry about this I have waited 2.5 years for this to open !!!

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:07 pm

trek52 wrote:mate my intel is that machinary will be there in the next few days :(

I think the best option will be to ride down to Beecroft rd and up the on ramp and back to epping tunnel :(

Same here, not someone directly in the know but a civil engineer mate that has guessed the same about timing, etc. Might try the Beecroft Rd contraflow option tomorrow and keep an ear out for anyone that catches the bus/drives about the status of the work area.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:06 pm

Boognoss wrote:
trek52 wrote:mate my intel is that machinary will be there in the next few days :(

Same here, not someone directly in the know but a civil engineer mate that has guessed the same about timing, etc. Might try the Beecroft Rd contraflow option tomorrow and keep an ear out for anyone that catches the bus/drives about the status of the work area.
Have they be enable to guess why the works are needed? It sounds like a major stuff up to me!

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:27 pm

queequeg wrote:
Boognoss wrote:

Have they be enable to guess why the works are needed? It sounds like a major stuff up to me!
A copy paste from our emails today:

I heard that the embankment under the bridge is not stable. They have tried several times to fix it so far. It sounds that like that it hasn't been too successful. My assessment, is this will take longer that they are saying.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:29 pm

Also got an official email reply today saying that its not open to cyclists until "early August" westbound. Feeling grumpy and anarchic as I head home early for a conf call on the M2 again.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:31 pm

Boognoss wrote:
queequeg wrote:
Boognoss wrote: Same here, not someone directly in the know but a civil engineer mate that has guessed the same about timing, etc. Might try the Beecroft Rd contraflow option tomorrow and keep an ear out for anyone that catches the bus/drives about the status of the work area.
A copy paste from our emails today:

I heard that the embankment under the bridge is not stable. They have tried several times to fix it so far. It sounds that like that it hasn't been too successful. My assessment, is this will take longer that they are saying.

Interesting....I know that the road surface was a bit messed up a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like it could be related?

Definitely sounds like an epic fail. Might have to go for a walk along the Terry's Creek trail from Browns Waterhole and have a look.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:34 pm

Please report your findings here with photos :-)

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:54 pm

Hi Guys,

I have never ridden the M2. I live in West Pennant Hills just off Coonara near the shops. I work at Bella Vista near the now closed Bunnings. I was just curious if anyone could advise the best places to get on/off the M2 for my commute? I assume Pennant Hills Rd for West Pennant Hills side, but is it possible to get on/off at the bus stop on Oakes Rd? At the Bella Vista end, can I get on at the M7 entrance that is near the end of the M7 bike path (bollards), or should I take the path on Windsor Rd down the hill to the start of the M2 (Abott Rd)?

From what I am reading in this thread, the part of the M2 west of Pennant hills Rd is open so I can use it for this commute?

Finally, I have ridden the M4, and was pretty unimpressed by that for safety (lots of debris and felt pretty unsafe crossing on/off ramps). Is the M2 much better?

Cheers,

Adrian

rogan

Postby rogan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:28 pm

vosadrian wrote:Hi Guys,

I have never ridden the M2. I live in West Pennant Hills just off Coonara near the shops. I work at Bella Vista near the now closed Bunnings. I was just curious if anyone could advise the best places to get on/off the M2 for my commute? I assume Pennant Hills Rd for West Pennant Hills side, but is it possible to get on/off at the bus stop on Oakes Rd? At the Bella Vista end, can I get on at the M7 entrance that is near the end of the M7 bike path (bollards), or should I take the path on Windsor Rd down the hill to the start of the M2 (Abott Rd)?

From what I am reading in this thread, the part of the M2 west of Pennant hills Rd is open so I can use it for this commute?

Finally, I have ridden the M4, and was pretty unimpressed by that for safety (lots of debris and felt pretty unsafe crossing on/off ramps). Is the M2 much better?

Cheers,

Adrian
Hi Adrian

I have used Oakes Rd and Barclay Rd bus stations, but I would advise against it in peak hour. In the past if you were there before 6 am, it'd be OK. Weekends OK. It's not just traffic to cut to and from the middle, there are heaps of buses there at peak times. It's illegal, of course...

If I was going to where you are going I would use the Old Windsor Rd exit and entrance, which means doing about 600 metres on the M7 past Abbott Rd heading west.

You can use the M2 in both directions for your commute. For now.

Historically the M2 was better for roadside urban detritus than the M4. ATM the M2 is a bit gritty, and needs a sweep. It's fine in daylight, less good in the dark.

Historically, the M2 ramps were all OK, other than the Lane Cove Rd eastbound one, which doesn't affect you... HOWEVER, as people get used to three lanes not two, they are doing silly crazy things, like veering off at the last instant from the middle lane. So watch for random acts of stupidity. Going against the peak flow may be better in terms of volume, but vehicles will be at speed too.

Cheers

Josh

PS, I want my KOMs back. :D

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:54 pm

Thanks Josh,

I will give it a go from M7 Windsor Rd to Pennant Hills Rd. I have a nice bright rear light on order as current one is playing up. Might wait until I have that.

As for the KOMs... your statute of limitations has ended, and they are mine forever now!! :)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:07 pm

A bit quicker on the M2 tonight. 35.5km/h average speed, oddly with two panniers as speed brakes.
Highway Patrol lurking near the Herring Rd off ramp tonight.
I am loving the 10km non-stop ride. No issues with crossing the exits/entrances as yet. I reckon on my road bike I should be able to crack a 40km/h avg speed for the 10km. Still makes me awful against Andy Schleck though :-)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:46 pm

Boognoss wrote:Also got an official email reply today saying that its not open to cyclists until "early August" westbound. Feeling grumpy and anarchic as I head home early for a conf call on the M2 again.

Well, I can't see why not. All the signs and markings are done and even the big overhead message boards were telling motorists to watch out for cyclists. All the barricades are gone, so as far as I am concerned, westbound is open for business regardless of what their PR folks tell you :-)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:54 pm

queequeg wrote:
Boognoss wrote:Also got an official email reply today saying that its not open to cyclists until "early August" westbound. Feeling grumpy and anarchic as I head home early for a conf call on the M2 again.

Well, I can't see why not. All the signs and markings are done and even the big overhead message boards were telling motorists to watch out for cyclists. All the barricades are gone, so as far as I am concerned, westbound is open for business regardless of what their PR folks tell you :-)
But you are pre-empting the ribbon cutting ceremony where the Premier & ministers come out and give speeches & it is on all the TV stations - except of course this is bike infrastructure so none of that is going to happen
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:16 pm

find_bruce wrote:
queequeg wrote:

But you are pre-empting the ribbon cutting ceremony where the Premier & ministers come out and give speeches & it is on all the TV stations - except of course this is bike infrastructure so none of that is going to happen
Yes, the bike infrastructure is some more white paint to add to the existing white paint network :-)

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:51 am

queequeg wrote: Yes, the bike infrastructure is some more white paint to add to the existing white paint network :-)
Yep awesome paint.

Been a while since I've had the spray of b-doubles in the rain before dawn until this morning. :-)

I did the whole way again to Delhi Rd although there are new (since yesterday) barricades at the crossover point on Pennant Hills Rd offramp to prevent bikes crossing. Definitely stepping up their efforts.

I passed a motorcycle cop hiding from the rain under the Barclay Rd bridge too and he didn't seem concerned or care about my presence.

No further additions or equipment to the work zone since yesterday.

AK900

Postby AK900 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:30 pm

Boognoss wrote: I did the whole way again to Delhi Rd although there are new (since yesterday) barricades at the crossover point on Pennant Hills Rd offramp to prevent bikes crossing. Definitely stepping up their efforts.
No further additions or equipment to the work zone since yesterday.
I was tempted to get on at either Pennant Hills Rd or Beecroft Rd this morning however there appeared to be some barricades around the tunnel when I drove through on Monday.

Where you able to cycle the Pennant Hills to Delhi length without any obstacles?