When will M2 reopen...

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: When will M2 reopen...

Postby Boognoss » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:56 pm

jubaeg wrote:Threaded the needle along PHR today and went the length of Castle Hill rd. Car behaviour was reasonable, a touch close at times, but not too bad. Interestingly, was the same pace as the cars that were on PHR turning onto CHR, in that I could catchup at lights and at the Northern rd lights was able to take the bus lane and so do some [very satisfying] leapfrogging.

Probably wouldn't recommend CHR if you're not comfortable with traffic as there isn't any shoulder or anything.
No shoulder but the light phasing works well. I'm not overly quick but for my stretch from Thompsons Corner to Coonara Ave I take the left lane and rarely have had issues with vehicles. They sit behind or change lanes. CHR seems to be one of the better roads in peak hour.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

2Wheeler

Postby 2Wheeler » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:23 pm

Not to mention the speed camera that tends to keep the car speeds at a reasonable 55km/hr or so.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:46 pm

Is the best way from North Ryde to Abbott Rd going along the official detour, or are there better alternatives?

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:52 pm

tez001 wrote:Is the best way from North Ryde to Abbott Rd going along the official detour, or are there better alternatives?
If it's a one-off or infrequent I'd say yes - purely because it's signposted so you don't have to commit anything to memory if you don't know the Hills area. If not, there are about 5 pages of posts back that you can read up on ;).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

tez001

Postby tez001 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:36 am

Boognoss wrote:
If it's a one-off or infrequent I'd say yes - purely because it's signposted so you don't have to commit anything to memory if you don't know the Hills area. If not, there are about 5 pages of posts back that you can read up on ;).
Probably infrequent 2-3 times a month perhaps. I'll give the official detour a go first and then look at the alternatives mentioned in this thread.

I'll be heading from the Meadowbank area so it might be easier just to head out to Parramatta, up Northmead and then join onto the detour.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:44 am

tez001 wrote:
Boognoss wrote:
Probably infrequent 2-3 times a month perhaps. I'll give the official detour a go first and then look at the alternatives mentioned in this thread.

I'll be heading from the Meadowbank area so it might be easier just to head out to Parramatta, up Northmead and then join onto the detour.

Yeah .. from Meadowbank, definitely a lot easier to go via the Parra river cycleway. From Parramatta Park, go via Westmead to join the cycleway at Old WIndsor Road-Briens Rd intersection. you will avoid the M2 detour completely.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:45 am

Riding eastbound this morning after not commuting yesterday and the concrete barriers are starting to go up. For the naughty westbounders, the timeframe is limited. ie. currently barriers but nothing else, but the workers and equipment can't be far off.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:05 am

I've been driving Westbound every day recently as I've been unlucky enough to be working in Edgecliff and have seen first the white lines and now the concrete jersey kerbs going in between Pennant Hills Road and Windsor Road. What exactly is happening in that section? The entry from the Connex tunnel? It seems a long way between the 2 roads for a slip road.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:07 am

Hergest wrote:I've been driving Westbound every day recently as I've been unlucky enough to be working in Edgecliff and have seen first the white lines and now the concrete jersey kerbs going in between Pennant Hills Road and Windsor Road. What exactly is happening in that section? The entry from the Connex tunnel? It seems a long way between the 2 roads for a slip road.
Additional lane westbound all the way to Windsor Rd. It is the exit lane for the westbound Northconnex tunnel. Just moving the bottleneck a few km further west......

2Wheeler

Postby 2Wheeler » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:11 am

Who do we call to get some of the bushes/trees trimmed on PHR footpath? Its pretty bad when shrubs are almost long enough to cover the entire path and almost onto the road. I'll call and pretend I am a concerned parent with a pram :D

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:13 am

2Wheeler wrote:Who do we call to get some of the bushes/trees trimmed on PHR footpath? Its pretty bad when shrubs are almost long enough to cover the entire path and almost onto the road. I'll call and pretend I am a concerned parent with a pram :D
Probably RMS I think given the road that it's next to. I was thinking that on Wed arvo. Definitely go the concerned parent angle :).

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:26 am

Yep, the hedges have needed trimming for a while. And there is also a ute that is often parked across the path and I often bend his mirror in as I go past. He has not taken the hint yet.

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:06 pm

2Wheeler wrote:Who do we call to get some of the bushes/trees trimmed on PHR footpath? Its pretty bad when shrubs are almost long enough to cover the entire path and almost onto the road. I'll call and pretend I am a concerned parent with a pram :D
Local council ... think they have the call on it.
No need for 'concerned parent' ... just a pedestrian.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:17 pm

vosadrian wrote:Yep, the hedges have needed trimming for a while. And there is also a ute that is often parked across the path and I often bend his mirror in as I go past. He has not taken the hint yet.
So it's you that gets to it before me. I'm thinking that being a one-mirror ute is the only way :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

caneye

Postby caneye » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:08 pm

has anyone taken the detour through Lane Cove National Park recently?

Ryde council started building proper concrete footpath for pedestrians on the dilapidated Plassey Rd (between Delhi Rd and the caravan park).
After they finished one lane, they continued to increase the width of the footpath further. I thought it was going to be a shared pedestrian-cycling footpath :D

But boy oh boy was I wrong .... do you guys know what this is for??

Is it to deter cyclists?? Prevent cars from parking on the footpath?
I wouldn't go anywhere near it :shock:
It runs the full length of the footpath.

hugh stone

Postby hugh stone » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:37 am

Dedicated fat bike lane maybe?

2Wheeler

Postby 2Wheeler » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:31 am

Crossed at the intersection on PHR and Castle Hill rd yesterday. It was much easier ride up that hill without having branch hitting me in the face. Downside was I had to wait at the lights for what seemed like an eternity.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:40 pm

caneye wrote:has anyone taken the detour through Lane Cove National Park recently?

Ryde council started building proper concrete footpath for pedestrians on the dilapidated Plassey Rd (between Delhi Rd and the caravan park).
After they finished one lane, they continued to increase the width of the footpath further. I thought it was going to be a shared pedestrian-cycling footpath :D

But boy oh boy was I wrong .... do you guys know what this is for??

Is it to deter cyclists?? Prevent cars from parking on the footpath?
I wouldn't go anywhere near it :shock:
It runs the full length of the footpath.

Saw that on Monday after coming up through the park on way home. New LC Cyclocross course I reckon, or the pedestrian equivalent of rumble strips.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:47 pm

Whatever purpose it allegedly serves, who on earth thought that would look in any way aesthetically pleasing. A five year old can stick pebbles in concrete.....

KGB

Postby KGB » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:29 pm

Roubaix style cobbles? Either that our a CX section.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:02 pm

Spotted HWP with speed gun on M2 detour - Murray Farm Road between Pennant Hills Road and Oakes Road - at 5pm.
you can easily hit above 50 on the long downhill stretch, just before the roundabout. The speed gun was aimed at this stretch.

First time I've seen them there. I guess the regular M2 peak crawl has bored them ...

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:15 pm

caneye wrote:Spotted HWP with speed gun on M2 detour - Murray Farm Road between Pennant Hills Road and Oakes Road - at 5pm.
you can easily hit above 50 on the long downhill stretch, just before the roundabout. The speed gun was aimed at this stretch.

First time I've seen them there. I guess the regular M2 peak crawl has bored them ...
Wow, I'd give it a good crack personally ;). They can give me a ticket on the spot. My name is Santos el Halper, from 742 Evergreen Terrace until March 1st 2017 :P.

xavdav

Postby xavdav » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:01 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:Was riding westbound on the M2 today. Exited at Pennant Hills road given the closure. But Say What there is no signage (not that I could see anyway) saying where to go. Is it right or left onto Pennant Hills road? And then where after that? I was appalled and frustrated at the lack of signage. Was returning home from a long ride and wasn't in the mood for this.
Same for me today. the yellow detour signs disappeared by North rock road, Ended up passing by Parramatta, Constitution Hill, Marayong, to join the M7 at Richmond rd :evil:

Theox

Postby Theox » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:59 pm

The detour claimed its first victim last week. Snapped my frame, only cruising along when it happened and was able to limp home. I blame the big dipper for that, i had a feeling this would happen puts alot of strain on the backend puntching up the hill. Admittedly this it the 5th busted frame in 10 years :mrgreen:
Simon good to see you in the local paper, whats this you can do the speed limit down the dipper ....cracked 89km the other day, thank god the frame didnt snap at the bottom on that attempt.
Jeff

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:30 pm

Theox wrote:The detour claimed its first victim last week. Snapped my frame, only cruising along when it happened and was able to limp home. I blame the big dipper for that, i had a feeling this would happen puts alot of strain on the backend puntching up the hill. Admittedly this it the 5th busted frame in 10 years :mrgreen:
Simon good to see you in the local paper, whats this you can do the speed limit down the dipper ....cracked 89km the other day, thank god the frame didnt snap at the bottom on that attempt.
Jeff
Show off. How's the replacement coming along?
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle