Bellbird Hill

Xplora

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby Xplora » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:38 am

Bwahahah I see you didn't leave the Col De Kurrajong segment... eon/vos beat our time on 21/7 by over a minute. Yikes, webby84 got there in 41 minutes O_o

Dunno how Wes got there in under 38. I want to have another crack, but feel like I need a course of those glucosomine tablets to get the joints working hard again. Will have to just be proud of my efforts on Saturday instead (insert grinning red cheeked American kid emoticon)

rogan

Postby rogan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:47 am

Yep - first time I did it, I just kept riding, to where it dips down again. Then rode back to that spot where you get the good view.

Might be OK for this Saturday. But to ride 1xWark and 3xBowen (why?) you don't need 5.5 hours. My suggestion would be 1xWark and 1xBowen and start at 5.30 at Norwest - and you'd still easily be back before 10.

1 hour to Nth Richmond, 45 minutes from there to the top. 5 minutes rest. Back to the Bowen turnoff, probably takes less than 10 minutes, but allow 15 minutes. Up to Bowen Mtn Road, allow 15 minutes. Up to the top of Bowen, allow 20 minutes. Back down to nth Richmond, allow 20 minutes. Then an hour back to Norwest. I make that 4 hours, giving 30 minutes spare.

For each extra Bowen, allow 15 minutes, assuming you are just doing the steep bit after that 500 m flat section.

rogan

Postby rogan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:53 am

Xplora wrote:Bwahahah I see you didn't leave the Col De Kurrajong segment... eon/vos beat our time on 21/7 by over a minute. Yikes, webby84 got there in 41 minutes O_o

Dunno how Wes got there in under 38. I want to have another crack, but feel like I need a course of those glucosomine tablets to get the joints working hard again. Will have to just be proud of my efforts on Saturday instead (insert grinning red cheeked American kid emoticon)
Yep, thanks for that SNAFU guys, I'm very happy to still be the fastest this year on that segment! I did it on a 39x25 low gear, but I stayed sitting at threshold power with a cadence below 50. If I can do it there, I can do Fitz's and even 3PC in that set up... maybe... I reckon I can go faster too, especially on the lower slopes closer to Nth Richmond, but maybe not 41 (?!?) or 38 :!: :!:

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:08 pm

eon wrote:I know.. stupid thing is, I was pretty sure the segment was at the street further and did say to all its over there, but we kinda just sat where Mark and Robbie was. :lol: went through all that suffering and it didn't even register. :x
Strava or it didn't happen! :lol:

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:09 pm

Just before the lights at Richmond, Robbie stopped to remove some clothing, and then he got caught at the lights for a minute or two, so we cruised until he caught up. We should have left him... he would have caught us anyway!! So I think everyone bar Robbie could have done 1-2 minutes quicker without much effort on the foothills. That would have put Ehly and I around 43 minutes (assuming we actually finished the segment!!). Robbie still pulled over 2 minutes on us in the steeper section, and Mark over 4!! :o I think Mark could KOM that segment pretty easily. He was flying when I lost sight of him. If he was on it in the foot hills and went the extra 50m, I think he would have got it yesterday.

Croozin

Postby Croozin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:09 pm

vosadrian wrote:You have no soccer now, so you are going earlier!!?? You are crazy!!

I backed off on the flatter (relatively speaking) section to spin a bit and try to get my legs back, and I was also not 100% on where to turn left (turns out it was obvious). You were pretty close then, and then up the last section I was struggling with standing and started sitting zig zagging. I think that was your signal!! I had a little in the tank still, but not sure how far to go. When you sprinted, I figured we were close so I went for it. Heart rate off the scale!! Of course Robbie and Mark had already been waiting for several minutes by then!!

Unfortunately we stopped a little short of most of the segments ending, so should have kept going a little further. Seemed we would have done well on those segments if we had kept going another 50m.

Brendan is a TT machine. Best not to get positioned in front of him. You start to move over (or he just thinks you are going too slow!!) and he accelerates past you before you back off, and then you have to bury yourself to get on the back. Lesson learned!!

I will be back!! But not at 4:30 this saturday. :shock:
Oops sorry bud, tbh I didn't realize I was even doing it lol
Ill turn it down for the 1st bit while ya get ya breath back, still very new to pain trains. I gotta say I was coping it too tho was defo pullin some funny faces trying to latch back on again haha
Love those pain trains aye for sure 5 is a good number for them.
Just curious was Robbie and mark standing up most of the way up the climb?

Croozin

Postby Croozin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:20 pm

eon wrote:
My only advantage when Brendan is behind me is that i'm so much smaller than him, i block almost no wind for him, so he's taking as much hit and likely not sprint away when its his turn.. :P lol..
This x 11tybillion lol

Ehly is so damn aero, nothing more punishing than seein a flat back about a foot lower than ya haha gr8 training tho.
Thanks for a gr8 ride fellas and noted about taking the lead ;)

Croozin

Postby Croozin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:20 pm

eon wrote:
My only advantage when Brendan is behind me is that i'm so much smaller than him, i block almost no wind for him, so he's taking as much hit and likely not sprint away when its his turn.. :P lol..
This x 11tybillion lol

Ehly is so damn aero, nothing more punishing than seein a flat back about a foot lower than ya haha gr8 training tho.

Croozin

Postby Croozin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:22 pm

eon wrote:
vosadrian wrote:Wow... what a ride!! I've done Bowen before, but that takes more of the same and just goes further. There were several times where I wondered it I was going to have to stop (and then Ehly decides to sprint past me!!!). I like to sit when I climb, but with 39-28 that was not an option for much of this climb. Must train myself to stand for longer. Robbie and Mark certainly put me in my place with regards to climbing.... machines!!

But I think the TTT on the way back was the real suffering. We started at the RAAF and didn't let off until Mark got a puncture at Kellyville (that was a welcome relief!!). Red lights never looked so good!! Having to get onto the back of the train after pealing off with Brendan accelerating off the front another 5kph was as bad as the climb!

Thanks for the ride guys. I will definitely come again when I recover in about a month!!
This x 11tybillion lol

Croozin

Postby Croozin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:23 pm

Oh dear

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:28 pm

Croozin wrote:
vosadrian wrote:You have no soccer now, so you are going earlier!!?? You are crazy!!

I backed off on the flatter (relatively speaking) section to spin a bit and try to get my legs back, and I was also not 100% on where to turn left (turns out it was obvious). You were pretty close then, and then up the last section I was struggling with standing and started sitting zig zagging. I think that was your signal!! I had a little in the tank still, but not sure how far to go. When you sprinted, I figured we were close so I went for it. Heart rate off the scale!! Of course Robbie and Mark had already been waiting for several minutes by then!!

Unfortunately we stopped a little short of most of the segments ending, so should have kept going a little further. Seemed we would have done well on those segments if we had kept going another 50m.

Brendan is a TT machine. Best not to get positioned in front of him. You start to move over (or he just thinks you are going too slow!!) and he accelerates past you before you back off, and then you have to bury yourself to get on the back. Lesson learned!!

I will be back!! But not at 4:30 this saturday. :shock:
Oops sorry bud, tbh I didn't realize I was even doing it lol
Ill turn it down for the 1st bit while ya get ya breath back, still very new to pain trains. I gotta say I was coping it too tho was defo pullin some funny faces trying to latch back on again haha
Love those pain trains aye for sure 5 is a good number for them.
Just curious was Robbie and mark standing up most of the way up the climb?
No probs from me mate. Keep it up!! I have to harden up!

eon

Postby eon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:31 am

vosadrian wrote:No probs from me mate. Keep it up!! I have to harden up!
yeah all good Brendan. its actually good training, when you're almost ratsh1t from your turn then have to bury yourself getting back on... its a good kinda hurt. :D

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:03 am

Brendan, you need to come out for some M7 runs with the lads to get some practice rolling turns. 6:15pm tonight, last week was murder, this week won't be much better ;)

Inspiration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnX4uaDY ... r_embedded

eon

Postby eon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:19 am

rogan wrote:Might be OK for this Saturday. But to ride 1xWark and 3xBowen (why?) you don't need 5.5 hours. My suggestion would be 1xWark and 1xBowen and start at 5.30 at Norwest - and you'd still easily be back before 10.
Might can sat Josh. You want to come out Penrith way and have a crack at this ?
25/08/2013 - Club Championship 100km (A&B grade riders plus C grade at commissaire discretion) Separate race for C,D & E Grades ( signon from 7:30am race start time 8:00am )
check out Penrith website for details
http://www.penrithcyclingclub.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Xplora wrote:Brendan, you need to come out for some M7 runs with the lads to get some practice rolling turns. 6:15pm tonight, last week was murder, this week won't be much better
GO TNFPRs !!!!!

Webby84

Postby Webby84 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:03 pm

Croozin wrote:
vosadrian wrote: Just curious was Robbie and mark standing up most of the way up the climb?
Really good fun boys! Thanks again. The endorphins were flowing for the rest of the day despite the sleep deprivation.

Croozin - I stayed seated for the most part grinding away with my 25. I stood up for the really steep parts. Would've loved a 28 for the pinches! Mark stayed mainly seated as well. He acted like a carrot on a stick sitting a good 300m ahead of me the whole way up.

Would love to have another crack at the hill with some fresher legs. That ride finished off my biggest week on the bike yet. Could barely get my heartrate much above 160bpm despite all the hard work. Odd.

Hopefully next time I can try helping you boys with the TT home effort. By that stage I could barely hang on the back, let alone take a turn. You murdered me.

Super keen for another WARK epic this Sunday. Got to be somewhere for 10am so an early one suits me. Felt like I'd lived two Sundays by 6pm. Was old cold by 9pm

Croozin

Postby Croozin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:59 pm

Xplora wrote:Brendan, you need to come out for some M7 runs with the lads to get some practice rolling turns. 6:15pm tonight, last week was murder, this week won't be much better ;)

Inspiration
Sounds good to me
Where abouts is the meeting point?

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Hey Robbie,

Was that with a 39 front or compact (34??)?

Just curious if I need to work out how to grind seated better or get shorter gearing.... or harden up and learn to stand longer!?!?!

Cheers,

Adrian

Webby84

Postby Webby84 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:04 pm

vosadrian wrote:Hey Robbie,

Was that with a 39 front or compact (34??)?

Just curious if I need to work out how to grind seated better or get shorter gearing.... or harden up and learn to stand longer!?!?!

Cheers,

Adrian
39. I tend to stand for short, steep, punchy climbs and sit for the long steady ones. Will run a high cadence seated if I can (80-95). Think the key for seated climbing is to work on strengthening up the glutes?

Webby84

Postby Webby84 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:08 pm

Croozin wrote:
Xplora wrote:Brendan, you need to come out for some M7 runs with the lads to get some practice rolling turns. 6:15pm tonight, last week was murder, this week won't be much better ;)

Inspiration
Sounds good to me
Where abouts is the meeting point?
Should also consider the M7 smashfest with Kangazilla on Wed nights. Would be right up your alley with your TT prowess. 50km loop out to the M7 bubbler and back.

Meet at the shop at 7pm (Toonie), or otherwise at the entrance to the M7 at about 7.15pm. Its a killer with Mal leading out the pace

Croozin

Postby Croozin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:28 pm

Can't remember who asked but total Km's ever is 3500km's :)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:19 pm

LOL nice work tonight Brendan. Sorry I missed your post, sounds like you made it all fine for the start. Unlike me. :lol:

Croozin

Postby Croozin » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:20 am

No probs Leigh, was good to see ya out there. Thanks for the heads up

rogan

Postby rogan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:57 am

eon wrote:
rogan wrote:Might be OK for this Saturday. But to ride 1xWark and 3xBowen (why?) you don't need 5.5 hours. My suggestion would be 1xWark and 1xBowen and start at 5.30 at Norwest - and you'd still easily be back before 10.
Might can sat Josh. You want to come out Penrith way and have a crack at this ?
25/08/2013 - Club Championship 100km (A&B grade riders plus C grade at commissaire discretion) Separate race for C,D & E Grades ( signon from 7:30am race start time 8:00am )
check out Penrith website for details
http://www.penrithcyclingclub.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No worries mate. Can't do the Penrith race. With my interrupted week, I am looking at two hard rides this weekend, considering the mooted Sunday Bellbird being talked about.

rogan

Postby rogan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:00 am

Webby84 wrote:
Really good fun boys! Thanks again. The endorphins were flowing for the rest of the day despite the sleep deprivation.

Croozin - I stayed seated for the most part grinding away with my 25. I stood up for the really steep parts. Would've loved a 28 for the pinches! Mark stayed mainly seated as well. He acted like a carrot on a stick sitting a good 300m ahead of me the whole way up.

Would love to have another crack at the hill with some fresher legs. That ride finished off my biggest week on the bike yet. Could barely get my heartrate much above 160bpm despite all the hard work. Odd.

Hopefully next time I can try helping you boys with the TT home effort. By that stage I could barely hang on the back, let alone take a turn. You murdered me.

Super keen for another WARK epic this Sunday. Got to be somewhere for 10am so an early one suits me. Felt like I'd lived two Sundays by 6pm. Was old cold by 9pm
Yup 39x25 with occasional standing. If you can do it (long femurs supposedly help, don't do it if you get sore knees) it works really well. Limits the pain to the quads, which should be strong anyway!

Thinking about Sunday, if it becomes real I will probably be there.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:04 am

I'm definitely out this Sunday - right knee is absolutely killing me. Wondering when I need to see the doctor about it :(