Bellbird Hill

vosadrian

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby vosadrian » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:31 am

eon wrote:Robbie would be the one thats got the Winston Hills sections .. :wink:
http://app.strava.com/athletes/277701/segments/leader" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oh damn !!!! i just realised he took the seven hills section :cry:
http://app.strava.com/athletes/277701/segments/leader" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh Ohhh!!

Nice kms there Robbie!! Your weekly average is well over double mine!!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:53 am

eon wrote:Robbie would be the one thats got the Winston Hills sections .. :wink:

That's the problem with being on top of the pile... everyone else in the pile has to focus on you!

Vossy, Bellbird proper doesn't cause any dramas, but it's a major road and there is no shoulder to get there. A few lads at the Trek shop ride just flat out said "nah go around Grose Vale" rather than straight up. Coming back, you're almost breaking the speed limit the whole way so the drivers don't care. Honestly, the whole area past Richmond is a lot more extreme in every sense, and I don't believe you're being reasonable if you expect to have no issues. It's quite different to the Hawkesbury lookout climb, much busier. End of the day, I felt quite comfortable with going out a lot earlier than usual, and I really have set an alarm for every day for 5am to try and move my bodyclock to get more riding in (I need a lot more trainer work which I could do at 5am easier than 5pm).

Yeah don't let Brendan on the front. That is a man you want as your leadout 100%. Brendan - "I'm knackered, you boys are killing me" then almost rides off the front every turn coming back down Windsor Road :shock:

I blame eon though. He set the expectation, he just didn't think anyone would listen to him :lol:

rogan

Postby rogan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:37 pm

5 am this Sunday at cnr Norwest and Windsor Rd for a run up to Bellbird and the side road up Warks? Count me in. I assume we turn left off Windsor Rd a block earlier at the bypass and miss our black and white friend? :D I suggest we take it easier to the Richmond Bridge, and hit it from there (unlike last time!)

Idiot drivers - they are everywhere. Grose Vale Rd might be better but you'd miss the strava segments in both directions. And there's no guarantee of no idiots on that road either.

Only thing is, if the weather is wet or very cold, count me out, no way will I do that descent on wet roads or risk of black ice!

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:52 pm

What time you leaving WPH Rogan? about 4:40? Get up at 4:20.... must be crazy!!

Sunday morning forecast is fine but 4C at Richmond/Katoomba.... Brrrrr..... I thought it was warming up for spring the last couple of weeks, but this morning was a return to winter!!

Xplora, I have never ridden past Nth Richmond on that road. I have no experience or knowledge of what it is like. I just know I have been to Nth Richmond a few times at mid morning Saturday and it has been OK. The bridge is not great, but if you watch the traffic and go quick, it is OK (pending idiot drivers!!). Obviously going up the Bells hill you don't have the option of going quick!! So I will defer to you guys for what is safe there. And I certainly agree with Rogan on what is safe with regards to the Maccas Maggie!!

I'm keen to come, but will update on status before Sunday.

rogan

Postby rogan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:08 pm

Yep about 4.40. Sunrise is about 6.30 but it starts getting light by 6. We will be at North Richmond by about 6.

Up the hill at Bellbird is fine, very light traffic. There's more traffic in the downhill direction. It'll be good to finally meet you, if you can make it.

My one request is not to hang around for too long at the top of Warks, cooling down. It was nearly 20 minutes last time... I need to be warm for the descent!

eon

Postby eon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:31 pm

rogan wrote:My one request is not to hang around for too long at the top of Warks, cooling down. It was nearly 20 minutes last time... I need to be warm for the descent!
yep - I agree - i was shivering on that decent... :) brrrrrrr.
If you guys end up going for coffee afterwards, I'll prob ride on - 9am is my ETA home.

Webby84

Postby Webby84 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:26 pm

vosadrian wrote:

Oh Ohhh!!

Nice kms there Robbie!! Your weekly average is well over double mine!!
Most of my KOM's are small time segments between, me, myself and I.. and I've really only upped the ante on the weekly Km's in the last few months. In April I raced in D grade at Eastern Creek and came 10th :P

Sounds like we'll have a good crew. I did Bowen Mt back in April and my legs were fizzing for days. Hopefully I've got fitter since then

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:59 pm

Would of loved to tag along for this but I'm racing on Sunday. I still haven't ridden it!

Croozin

Postby Croozin » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:58 pm

Hey Gents,
Keen to come along on Sunday!!
Ill be jumping in from meeting point B :D

Brendan

eon

Postby eon » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:00 pm

michaelten wrote:Would of loved to tag along for this but I'm racing on Sunday. I still haven't ridden it!
ditch racing - come suffer with us.. :)
Croozin wrote:Hey Gents,
Keen to come along on Sunday!!
Ill be jumping in from meeting point B :D

Brendan
See ya tom bud. :D

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:31 pm

My wife things I'm crazy and I kind of agree, but I will see you guys at 5 tomorrow!!

Benz250

Postby Benz250 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Adrian we know you are kinda crazy or a machine! Have fun mate.

Croozin

Postby Croozin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:26 pm

How many is going tomorrow?

eon

Postby eon » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:42 pm

vosadrian wrote:My wife things I'm crazy and I kind of agree, but I will see you guys at 5 tomorrow!!
you do it enough times and it becomes the norm. :? i think.
Croozin wrote:How many is going tomorrow?
looks like
- Adrian
- Brendan
- Robbie and (maybe)Friend
- Josh (maybe)
- Me : sleeping in =P ( oh did I say that out loud )

Croozin

Postby Croozin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:43 pm

Thnx see ya at maccas

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:20 pm

Enjoy. You guys better be in bed snoozing :-)

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:11 pm

Spiza wrote:Enjoy. You guys better be in bed snoozing :-)
Waiting for visitors to leave....... :?

Webby84

Postby Webby84 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:11 am

Bah..I had a friends Bday shindig in town. Waters all round. Tucking in now. 4 hours should be enough Zzzz.....right?

See you at Maccas. My mates adamant he's coming. Think he's planning on riding from Marrickville to the start...will believe it when I see it!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Champion effort boys. Kudos all around.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:29 am

Wow... what a ride!! I've done Bowen before, but that takes more of the same and just goes further. There were several times where I wondered it I was going to have to stop (and then Ehly decides to sprint past me!!!). I like to sit when I climb, but with 39-28 that was not an option for much of this climb. Must train myself to stand for longer. Robbie and Mark certainly put me in my place with regards to climbing.... machines!!

But I think the TTT on the way back was the real suffering. We started at the RAAF and didn't let off until Mark got a puncture at Kellyville (that was a welcome relief!!). Red lights never looked so good!! Having to get onto the back of the train after pealing off with Brendan accelerating off the front another 5kph was as bad as the climb!

Thanks for the ride guys. I will definitely come again when I recover in about a month!!

eon

Postby eon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:03 am

vosadrian wrote:Wow... what a ride!! I've done Bowen before, but that takes more of the same and just goes further. There were several times where I wondered it I was going to have to stop (and then Ehly decides to sprint past me!!!). I like to sit when I climb, but with 39-28 that was not an option for much of this climb. Must train myself to stand for longer. Robbie and Mark certainly put me in my place with regards to climbing.... machines!!

But I think the TTT on the way back was the real suffering. We started at the RAAF and didn't let off until Mark got a puncture at Kellyville (that was a welcome relief!!). Red lights never looked so good!! Having to get onto the back of the train after pealing off with Brendan accelerating off the front another 5kph was as bad as the climb!

Thanks for the ride guys. I will definitely come again when I recover in about a month!!
That was somethin huh. staying at Mark & Robbies tempo uphill prob wasnt the best idea. I blew up even before it got steeper, then it was survival to just keep you in sight Adrian. :) i nearly bridged it a couple of times but then would fade and go survival mode again.

but that last 500 was somwthin. was really waiting to do the final kick cos i know when i go that deep, i'm likely to collapse in the end.. lol. I'm glad i got you back up again for a final smashin. :D TTT via RAAF - well it was just fast.. and yep when Brendan rolls expect to sprint back to the tail of the train. My only advantage when Brendan is behind me is that i'm so much smaller than him, i block almost no wind for him, so he's taking as much hit and likely not sprint away when its his turn.. :P lol..

I'm inspired by Marks effort starting at 3:40am. Sons soccer finished up on sat so this saturday, I'm contemplating on leaving baulko at 4:30am and back home a little later at 10am
"Planned route" - WARK then Bowen x 3. I'm not sure about TTT home. More like - I hope I can make it home. :oops:
Any takers ?
Last edited by eon on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:35 am

You know it is dark outside because you are supposed to be sleeping? You planning on becoming a farmer?!

eon

Postby eon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:42 am

Xplora wrote:You know it is dark outside because you are supposed to be sleeping? You planning on becoming a farmer?!
i like to think of it as "Having my Cake and Eating it too" :D

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:50 am

You have no soccer now, so you are going earlier!!?? You are crazy!!

I backed off on the flatter (relatively speaking) section to spin a bit and try to get my legs back, and I was also not 100% on where to turn left (turns out it was obvious). You were pretty close then, and then up the last section I was struggling with standing and started sitting zig zagging. I think that was your signal!! I had a little in the tank still, but not sure how far to go. When you sprinted, I figured we were close so I went for it. Heart rate off the scale!! Of course Robbie and Mark had already been waiting for several minutes by then!!

Unfortunately we stopped a little short of most of the segments ending, so should have kept going a little further. Seemed we would have done well on those segments if we had kept going another 50m.

Brendan is a TT machine. Best not to get positioned in front of him. You start to move over (or he just thinks you are going too slow!!) and he accelerates past you before you back off, and then you have to bury yourself to get on the back. Lesson learned!!

I will be back!! But not at 4:30 this saturday. :shock:

eon

Postby eon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:04 am

vosadrian wrote:You have no soccer now, so you are going earlier!!?? You are crazy!!
yeah you're right.. doesn't make sense. might see if i can negotiate a sensible time to head out and stay out till the hurting is done.
4:30am just seem not so stupid after Marks 3:40am start. :lol:
vosadrian wrote:Unfortunately we stopped a little short of most of the segments ending, so should have kept going a little further. Seemed we would have done well on those segments if we had kept going another 50m.
I know.. stupid thing is, I was pretty sure the segment was at the street further and did say to all its over there, but we kinda just sat where Mark and Robbie was. :lol: went through all that suffering and it didn't even register. :x