Bellbird Hill

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby Hergest » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:43 pm

TimW wrote:
michaelten wrote:Baby steps first!

I'm thinking Hawkesbury Heights is next on the list to do, then Bellbird Hill. Once I've done them individually I will start trying to combine them

Love that climb :mrgreen:



Is Hawkesbury Heights the climb up the hairpins that goes passed the viewing area where you can see back to the city and the road then carries on to Springwood? I used to do that every sunday morning back in the mid 00s from the rowing club at Penrith up to Springwood and then back on the highway. It was a great run but i stopped when the drought got bad and there were so many bush and grass fires along the road from Agnes Banks. Great climb up the hill. I would stop at the bottom where there's a gate into the bush and eat a Mars bar first :D
2013 Lynskey R230. 2001 Lemond Buenos Aires.
Hergest
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: Guildford West, NSW

by BNA » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:51 pm

BNA
 

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby TimW » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:51 pm

Yes thats the one, nasty pinch at the start but gets easier after that.Tim

Incorporated it in a painfest with a mate last year,long day in the saddle lol
http://app.strava.com/activities/23267967

Image
Image
User avatar
TimW
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Near the M7C

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby Boognoss » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:08 am

TimW wrote:Yes thats the one, nasty pinch at the start but gets easier after that.Tim

Incorporated it in a painfest with a mate last year,long day in the saddle lol
http://app.strava.com/activities/23267967

Image


Watt the Elder loves taking noobs on that tour :-)

http://app.strava.com/activities/39350283


Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Image
User avatar
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5849
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby TimW » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:13 am

We got to the top of the first climb, Old bathurst Road, and I hear" Tim, we have to get to a servo, so i can fill up my bottles" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Mine were full plus i weigh about 20 kilos more than Sandy :twisted: :roll: :roll: Next time, I am onto him lol :mrgreen:
Image
User avatar
TimW
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Near the M7C

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby michaelten » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:30 am

Had another go at Bowen Mountain this morning, this time from the very bottom at North Richmond. Failure! I got to the section with the row of houses, needed a rest and got all light headed and dizzy. Remembering that I had to still get home I decided to be a softie and turn around with my tail between my legs! Lesson learnt, have some breakfast before leaving home for a ride.

Taking the bike to Brisbane this week so going to do Mt Coot-tha while I'm there and Hawkesbury Heights next weekend when I get home.
michaelten
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby vosadrian » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:41 am

Hi Guys,

I did Bowen for the first time last Friday. I did it with 39/25. I did stop... I had uploaded the segment to my garmin to show me the way, but the garmin was struggling for some reason, so I was unsure which road to take at Bowen Mountain Rd/Wattle. To be honest, I am not sure I could have done it without the stop anyway. I typically like to spin, so had to really force myself to just stand and grind slowly. Normally I only stand for a sprint!! I grinded about 55 cadence, and I was pretty maxed. I think if I slowed it down a bit more, I could do it without stopping, but I think next time I will swap to my 11-28 rear, and I think it would be much better. That would get me in the 55-60 cadence range at about 10-11kph which I think is OK for me.

If anyone plans to do it on a Saturday morning soon and does not mind me tagging along, please let me know!! It would prevent me getting lost for a start, and I could use someone to set pace.... I had no idea how to pace myself to make it up.

-- ADrian
vosadrian
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:58 pm

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby rogan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:03 pm

vosadrian wrote:Hi Guys,

I did Bowen for the first time last Friday. I did it with 39/25. I did stop... I had uploaded the segment to my garmin to show me the way, but the garmin was struggling for some reason, so I was unsure which road to take at Bowen Mountain Rd/Wattle. To be honest, I am not sure I could have done it without the stop anyway. I typically like to spin, so had to really force myself to just stand and grind slowly. Normally I only stand for a sprint!! I grinded about 55 cadence, and I was pretty maxed. I think if I slowed it down a bit more, I could do it without stopping, but I think next time I will swap to my 11-28 rear, and I think it would be much better. That would get me in the 55-60 cadence range at about 10-11kph which I think is OK for me.

If anyone plans to do it on a Saturday morning soon and does not mind me tagging along, please let me know!! It would prevent me getting lost for a start, and I could use someone to set pace.... I had no idea how to pace myself to make it up.

-- ADrian


Yep definitely Adrian, it's time we met and went for a spin! It was a very late decision to go last Saturday, I got an SMS from a mate late on Friday. Before that I was planning on doing my club ride.

I did it in a 39x25 both times in April, and it was fine, but I am comfortable (as comfortable as you can be at 175 bpm!) out of the saddle at 55 rpm. It doesn't matter what gear you use, you will be standing and grinding on that steep right hander where you hit the houses.

The route - just keep going up till you hit a cross street. It's about 1.5 km from the end of the flat section. I use google streetview to review unfamiliar territory, so I know where I am going.
Image
rogan
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby vosadrian » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:23 pm

rogan wrote:
vosadrian wrote:Hi Guys,

I did Bowen for the first time last Friday. I did it with 39/25. I did stop... I had uploaded the segment to my garmin to show me the way, but the garmin was struggling for some reason, so I was unsure which road to take at Bowen Mountain Rd/Wattle. To be honest, I am not sure I could have done it without the stop anyway. I typically like to spin, so had to really force myself to just stand and grind slowly. Normally I only stand for a sprint!! I grinded about 55 cadence, and I was pretty maxed. I think if I slowed it down a bit more, I could do it without stopping, but I think next time I will swap to my 11-28 rear, and I think it would be much better. That would get me in the 55-60 cadence range at about 10-11kph which I think is OK for me.

If anyone plans to do it on a Saturday morning soon and does not mind me tagging along, please let me know!! It would prevent me getting lost for a start, and I could use someone to set pace.... I had no idea how to pace myself to make it up.

-- ADrian


Yep definitely Adrian, it's time we met and went for a spin! It was a very late decision to go last Saturday, I got an SMS from a mate late on Friday. Before that I was planning on doing my club ride.

I did it in a 39x25 both times in April, and it was fine, but I am comfortable (as comfortable as you can be at 175 bpm!) out of the saddle at 55 rpm. It doesn't matter what gear you use, you will be standing and grinding on that steep right hander where you hit the houses.

The route - just keep going up till you hit a cross street. It's about 1.5 km from the end of the flat section. I use google streetview to review unfamiliar territory, so I know where I am going.


No probs mate.... I was definitely not up for Bowen on Saturday after doing it on friday as part of a 140+km ride (at about the 100k mark). I am still recovering!!

I just got a bit confused by the fact that you turn off Bowen Mountain Rd and go up Wattle. I had my garmin loaded with the route, but it was all confused and I could not work out which way to go..... and the last thing I wanted was to go the wrong way and have to reverse a 15% climb!! I will be fine next time.... but prefer to do it with others. I am having trouble convincing my normal riding group to do a 400m 15% climb!!

For me it is challenging standing out of the saddle grinding for so long. I am OK at the 5% climbs where I can sit in the saddle for 10 minutes at 80-90 cadence in a lowish gear (Bobbo, Akuna, Brooklyn etc.). But Bowen (last 2kms) is so much steeper that it is a really different style of riding in that you have to stand for most of 10 minutes grinding at 50-55 cadence.... I rarely stand for long, so something I have to train myself up for. But it was very satisfying to get to the top, so I am looking forward to doing it again properly.

Let me know if you are doing it again, and I will try to come along.

I did see someone coming down when I was going up on Friday (around 12:30pm??). Anyone from here?
vosadrian
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:58 pm

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby Xplora » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:57 pm

I might be having a crack at this on Saturday morning, didn't realise how close it was to Richmond! Probably going to take it on after the Trek Rouse Hill fast group ride, I think we're doing Pitt Town/ Turf farms. Would be good to have a few wheels to suck on the way out, to shorten the overall ride a bit. :idea:
Xplora
 
Posts: 6263
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby vosadrian » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:10 pm

I am out for this saturday, but maybe the following?
Image
vosadrian
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:58 pm

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby Xplora » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:33 pm

Seems to be a pattern... yep, I think we can make that happen :)
Xplora
 
Posts: 6263
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby leximack » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:40 pm

Xplora wrote:I might be having a crack at this on Saturday morning, didn't realise how close it was to Richmond! Probably going to take it on after the Trek Rouse Hill fast group ride, I think we're doing Pitt Town/ Turf farms. Would be good to have a few wheels to suck on the way out, to shorten the overall ride a bit. :idea:


from riverstone to top of bowen and return is 72km i think, be a tad more from Rouse hill.
Rough idea on times is approx 35mins from north richmond to top of bowen, considerably faster coming back down :D :D :D :D
User avatar
leximack
 
Posts: 3342
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:14 pm

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby rogan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:58 am

leximack wrote:Rough idea on times is approx 35mins from north richmond to top of bowen...


31 minutes. :D
Image
rogan
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby Xplora » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:36 pm

Trying to decide if I'm prepared to blow up trying to do the climb or not... 1.5kms at 10% could possibly cause a heart attack, and an inability to ride home from Richmond, but KOM glory awaits those with 000 on speed dial :lol:
Xplora
 
Posts: 6263
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby TimW » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:04 pm

Xplora wrote:Trying to decide if I'm prepared to blow up trying to do the climb or not... 1.5kms at 10% could possibly cause a heart attack, and an inability to ride home from Richmond, but KOM glory awaits those with 000 on speed dial :lol:

If you take your time and pace yourself you will be able to do it, make no mistake, it hurts though :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Image
User avatar
TimW
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Near the M7C

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby Xplora » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:53 pm

Should be a doddle... I'm only packing a compact ;)
Xplora
 
Posts: 6263
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby rogan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:58 pm

TimW wrote:
Xplora wrote:Trying to decide if I'm prepared to blow up trying to do the climb or not... 1.5kms at 10% could possibly cause a heart attack, and an inability to ride home from Richmond, but KOM glory awaits those with 000 on speed dial :lol:

If you take your time and pace yourself you will be able to do it, make no mistake, it hurts though :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


Even on the steep section there are two or three flat spots. Of course, that means that the steep bits are actually steeper than the advertised gradient...
Image
rogan
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby TimW » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:59 pm

Should be a doddle... I'm only packing a compact ;)

I hope so, but the 3 times i have done it i was using a compact :shock: :shock: , last time i did it I had 100 k's flat and climbing k's already in the legs and my oh my, it hurt.Big blokes are just not meant to climb lol :mrgreen:
Image
User avatar
TimW
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Near the M7C

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby Xplora » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:06 pm

Yeah Tim, I'm not built to be a police officer, more like an understudy for a garden rake
Xplora
 
Posts: 6263
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby TimW » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:16 pm

Xplora wrote:Yeah Tim, I'm not built to be a police officer, more like an understudy for a garden rake

I'm not now either lol thats why i'm an ex, and as they say, "there is nothing more ex than an ex" :shock:
Image
User avatar
TimW
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Near the M7C

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby Xplora » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:38 pm

You're surely fitter than you ever were as a copper, mr dual century NSW
Xplora
 
Posts: 6263
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby TimW » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:46 pm

Xplora wrote:You're surely fitter than you ever were as a copper, mr dual century NSW

:mrgreen:
Image
User avatar
TimW
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Near the M7C

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby zozza » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:55 pm

Image
User avatar
zozza
 
Posts: 4055
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby TimW » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:01 pm

zozza wrote:Image

Image
Image
User avatar
TimW
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Near the M7C

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby stickgc » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:04 pm

Why would you need a compact?
Image

I don't see how that would help go up a hill, but I suppose if looks are more important.... :?

:mrgreen:
User avatar
stickgc
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:21 pm

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit