Pyrmont Bridge, now with stupid trees

Pyrmont Bridge, now with stupid trees

Postby matt_h1 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:50 am

Just when you thought your hellish commute into the city couldn't get any worse, with an impending week of rain to further cramp and crowd Pyrmont bridge with umbrellas, they've decided to put up plastic trees with LEDs in a ring around each support strut for the monorail, creating tight bottlenecks and providing incentives for tourists to stop suddenly in front of you and whip out a camera.

More info here, http://development.cityofsydney.nsw.gov ... 33_017.pdf
matt_h1

by BNA » Wed May 22, 2013 10:03 am

BNA

Re: Pyrmont Bridge, now with stupid trees

Postby g-boaf » Wed May 22, 2013 10:03 am

It looks like it is only for the period of Vivid, so it's probably not that bad at all. Maybe take some time to enjoy the sights and sounds. :D
g-boaf

Postby matt_h1 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:12 am

It's very pretty, I just wish they'd picked somewhere that wasn't already the most congested part of my ride.
matt_h1

Postby TedDancin » Wed May 22, 2013 11:27 am

I saw them this morning, pretty, but not well thought out. As well as blocking off 3x the vision of what's currently there, I think the twinkling fairy lights will look very much like blinking front bike lights. Should be fun riding over there in the evenings.
TedDancin

Postby find_bruce » Thu May 30, 2013 2:04 pm

Had the expected incident last night - pair of idiots at the first "tree" at the already choked point between the stairs. Cameras in hand they were almost blocking the bridge. My spidey sensors were on high alert & I stopped when one decided to back up without looking - sure enough she walked back into me - her mate decided to tell me to watch where I was going & received a polite response that as I was stationary, perhaps they should.

Well & truly over Pyrmont bridge - rode in this morning via darling drive & pier st - adds 1 km to my trip but worth it to avoid the bunfight
find_bruce

Postby Evetsllub » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:06 am

Aside from the trees and the nightmare of getting over the bridge after 6pm at the moment (I can live with it for a few weeks though...), does anyone find a serious hazard on the shared path between the bridge and King St, riding from King St to Pyrmont bridge at night, the lights shining in your eyes from the Western Distributor make it seriously hard to see pedestrians (usually wearing dark suits in winter)? I've got a decent commuter light but its no 1000 lumen thing, more something for me to be seen rather than to light up the road and I'm battling to see pedestrians until I am on top of them. Or am I just going blind?
Evetsllub

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:20 am

It will be much worse when wet. No you are not going blind. You may need to consider getting the 1000 lumen thing if you need something to see with.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby Hergest » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:26 pm

I don't wish to be argumentative but Pyrmont Bridge is not a dedicated cycleway only and is part of a major tourist part of Sydney, would it be too hard to get off your bike and walk the 400 metres or so across and then ride again once you're past any obstacles? It would only add a minute or two to your whole journey time. Rather Pyrmont Bridge with fake trees and hundreds of people than the old days of gridlocked traffic crawling into the city.
2013 Lynskey R230. 2001 Lemond Buenos Aires.
Hergest

Postby speedywheels » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:52 pm

I agree
speedywheels

Postby CrashBoomBang » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:29 pm

I don't. Pyrmont Bridge is a shared path. "Shared" is a powerful word as it bears responsibilities for all parties involved, not just one. I don't understand what the problem with Pyrmont Bridge is anyway. It's about 60 seconds of your commute. Honestly, take a break, enjoy the views, don't become a grumpy cyclist. The occasional "Good morning" for the bridge watchdogs doesn't hurt either. If we don't start polishing up our reputation, nobody else will.
CrashBoomBang

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:41 pm

What a great idea, just a couple of minor problems.
  • The shared path on Pyrmont Bridge includes the section alongside the western distributor & is 750 m long
  • walking takes roughly 10 minutes, riding about 3 minutes
  • pushing a bicycle will, in theory, significantly increase congestion on the bridge, both because of the slower speed & because you take up twice the space
  • expecting people to get off & walk will in practice, not affect congestion, because cyclists won't do it & will instead (1) ignore the stupid suggestion, (2) take another route or (3) stop riding altogether

I would rather properly connected infrastructure where cyclists can safely navigate their way around the city.
find_bruce

Postby CrashBoomBang » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:55 pm

Sorry, I see that I did not make myself clear. English is not my first language. I ride my bike, there is no need for dismounting when you take it slow. That is what I meant by "taking a break".
CrashBoomBang

Postby Evetsllub » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:51 pm

Evetsllub wrote:Aside from the trees and the nightmare of getting over the bridge after 6pm at the moment (I can live with it for a few weeks though...), does anyone find a serious hazard on the shared path between the bridge and King St, riding from King St to Pyrmont bridge at night, the lights shining in your eyes from the Western Distributor make it seriously hard to see pedestrians (usually wearing dark suits in winter)? I've got a decent commuter light but its no 1000 lumen thing, more something for me to be seen rather than to light up the road and I'm battling to see pedestrians until I am on top of them. Or am I just going blind?

Turns out it was an anomoly... This week the shared path lighting was much better... They turned off the lights on the pyrmont bridge over Vivid, which must have also turned off the lights along the western distributor. THis made the shared path incredibly dark. Now that all the lights are back on its all good again! Ironic that a festival of lights causes the lights to turn of.
Evetsllub

Return to New South Wales