Group rides around The Hills district?

Re: Group rides around The Hills district?

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:50 am

TimW wrote:...from the bike shed at Mortdale. Top staff at the bike shed, highly recommend.

Agree with that sentiment. I have no idea where Mortdale is, but I've bought from their online store and got good service and competitive prices. Seems like one of those rare examples of a local bike shop getting it right.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

by BNA » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:51 am

BNA

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:51 am

I can't help but laugh, I've bought three Trek Madones from Rouse Hill since starting bunch riding beginning of last year. Maybe year before? It's a good way to get to know your customers (and find out what buttons to push come n+1 time). I can appreciate that Geoff wants people who have skills and can be molded to their expectations - because bunch riding can be dangerous and it's a kind soul that doesn't scream at people doing silly things like hitting the brakes in the sprinting paceline (Thanks Felly!) but I am unsure that Bike Barn have not gone too far with their approach.

Reminds me. I've got to try a new saddle :P
Xplora

Postby Brownster » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:11 pm

MIA does regular rides as per below:

Wednesday Nights M7 bubbler return from Norwest Circa (near Woolworths and Norwest Private Hospital) - 7:30pm start
Saturday Morning - From 6:30am from Meze Me Cafe in the New Rouse Hill
Sunday Morning - Hour of power from 5:15am then joins the main bunch from 6:30am to Windsor / Richmond...

Check out the Men in Action page on Facebook for all details. Also rides nearly every other day adhoc. + we have a MTB group that races and does a heap of social rides on the dirt
under the MIA Dirtriders on Facebook..
Brownster

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:21 pm

I had some tweaks done to my bike at that place in question. While I didn't meet GS, the others seemed a bit snarky or pushy in getting me to buy things I didn't need (like lights). I have spoken with GS on the phone briefly and he seemed fairly easy going.

The mechanic was personable enough, but the rest... Wouldn't encourage me to buy a bike from there, but the tweaks done on mine were done on time and done perfectly.

Some of the M7 bunch rides are good, though some of them are quite fast. :lol: :oops: try the FPR lot in this forum!
Last edited by g-boaf on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
g-boaf

Postby Leethal » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:34 pm

Could we keep this on topic regarding group rides and less about bike shopping/servicing please gents.
Leethal

Postby trek52 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:57 pm

Nice to meet you out there last weeke mate. Was awful, In 25 years I have never got so many red lights. We are starting to out grow that loop maybe :(

In relation to Geoff and his BikeBarn bunch I can give a bit of history on it. For many years Geoff was the go to man for the Universe ride, I reckon I was about 12 when I starting doing the ride with him, after many years people looked to Geoff as the ride "owner" even if this was not the case. I believe there was some sort of bunch incident somewhere else in Aust where somoeone got sued that was the bunch "owner" regarding duty of care. Geoff didnt want this responisbility and started his own ride with people he knows. Or at least that is the story I know, there is also the story that Geoff got old and could keep beating us younger blokes :)

Nah look Geoff is a good guy, I have no idea how he runs his business etc but if you ever want to learn to ride a bike properly Geoff can teach you, he is one of the best bike handlers I have ever seen.
trek52

Postby zozza » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

TimW wrote: and my 50th present to myself a focus team 3 Izalco ,with campy record eps

zozza

Postby Pakman » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:56 pm

There have been a few posts here in relation to the Bike Barn - including me. I did outline the Bike Barn program because I found it a great way to build skills/fitness for someone new to the cycling scene in Western Syd.

The Bike Barn does run a loyalty program - which I don't have a problem with. I am not going to justify the benefits - it just comes down to personal preference of what you want from Bunch rides and what you want to get out of your local Bike shop.

The good news is that there are lots of options out there. Have a look around and find what works for you etc. I don't think there is any right or wrong business model.

Also look at the Facebook site for Parramatta Cycling Club. There are postings for training rides and you do not have to be a member of Parramatta Club, however your fitness needs to be good for these rides. LACC also run a mix of rides outside of the Sydney Olympic Park sessions.
Pakman

Postby Xplora » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:30 pm

Definitely sign up for Parra Cycling Club's Facebook page. They'll often advertise a few rides for public holidays. I did the Dream Loop on Anzac Day and proceeded to get destroyed; VERY quick guys. I was "encouraged" to keep running my turn at the front through the turf farms (about 10kms!) while I tried to pull off 3 times :lol: Good day in the saddle :)

I think ultimately Bike Barn is what it is. Some will dislike it, others will not. Sounds like Geoff has his reasons for running it that way. Good on him for keeping the fire burning. My dealings with him have been quite good, and he strikes me as the kind of guy who wouldn't be interested in losing everything over a BS court case, which isn't unreasonable given the haphazard nature of bunch riding.

Get out there, try a few bunches and hopefully you'll find a home soon.

Kangazilla has a number of rides that might meet your needs. Mal has completed a couple Ironmans, and can definitely teach you a few things about a bike. :)
Xplora

Postby Leethal » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:48 pm

I didn't realise Parramatta Cycling Club had a facebook page, so will definitely look that up. Thanks guys!
Leethal

Postby Leethal » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:38 pm

Does anyone do the NSCC - Le Rêve ride, as it appears this ride starts and ends (<-- my best estimate) at different locations?

Question is, for those that drive to the start (I'm not in favour but I don't see many bike paths/lanes in this part of the world) do you park at the Pool or the Cafe? As in, does anyone ride back to the pool after coffee or will I be on the road on my own?
Leethal

Previous

Return to New South Wales