Proposed parking within cycle lane Pacific Hwy Brooklyn

Proposed parking within cycle lane Pacific Hwy Brooklyn

Postby biker jk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:27 pm

Get cracking and write a submission to Hornsby Council opposing their crazy plan to allow parking within the cycle lane on the Pacific Highway, Brooklyn. The deadline for submissions is July 15.

The information below is quoted from a source.

I have been made aware of a proposal to allow parking at Kangaroo Point Brooklyn to be used by properties along the Hawkesbury River that do not have road access.

There is also a restaurant opening later this year at Kangaroo Point, in addition to the existing marina there.

As a result of the proposal, it would be likely that people would park along the existing bicycle lane along the old Pacific Highway, immediately to the southern side of the bridge crossing of the Hawkesbury River.

Hornsby Council makes it clear that they regard the bike lane as potentially available for overspill parking.

This part of the Pacific Highway is an important route for cyclists and I believe that it is important that cyclists are aware of this so that they can lobby Council to prevent the bike lane, which has only been recently established, from being used in that manner.

Even though cyclists in this location might not regard themselves as having to be limited to the cycle lane, allowing parking there and associated opening of car doors and pedestrian activity would be likely to create the potential for inconvenience or accidents.

Council's proposal to allow the use of parking at Kangaroo Point Brooklyn to be used by river properties is presently on notification, with submissions due by Monday, 15th July!
biker jk

by BNA » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:36 pm

BNA

Re: Proposed parking within cycle lane Pacific Hwy Brooklyn

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:36 pm

Oh joy, just like the delight that is the "bike lane" along Queens Rd Five Dock :roll:

Abolishing the bike lane would be safer than the abomination of having a bike lane that necessitates weaving in and out of parked cars.
find_bruce

Re: Proposed parking within cycle lane Pacific Hwy Brooklyn

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Oh beautiful. :roll: More dooring accidents... :x

find_bruce wrote:Oh joy, just like the delight that is the "bike lane" along Queens Rd Five Dock :roll:

I've not ridden through there, but seeing it from a car is enough deterrent. And if I remember right, those brilliant traffic calming islands that block the bicycle (ahem, car parking) lane.
g-boaf

Return to New South Wales